Sign in to follow this  
Sharmarkee

U hambalyeeye Fariida - Hibo Ali

Three As for Somali asylum seeker

A refugee who moved to the UK three years ago has overcome the odds by winning a hat-trick of As in her GCSEs.

Hibo Ali, 16, from Somalia, did not speak a word of English when her family arrived in Bristol in 2004.

She has won two A grades and an A* in the 10 GCSEs she took at Whitefield Fishponds Community School.

"I cannot believe it. My family have helped me out and encouraged me to take the exams. But I didn't think I would pass," she said.

"It has not been long since we arrived here. We had been living in Holland previously but I did not speak any English.

"It's a very good day and hopefully, after A-levels, I might be able to go on to university.

"My best subjects were German, French and Dutch but I was pleased that I also passed English, Science and Maths."

Well done to all those who passed with flying colours.

Lily, my goodness, do they really take 12 GCSE subjects at school these days? Wow. What are you guys going to do for your sister? She deserves a massive present. :cool:

-Lily-   

Val , she already sat for 3 GCSEs before the summer (Maths in year 10 and further Maths this year making it extra GCSE, double ICT in year 9-10). So technically she only sat for 9 this year but got her final results all together. Her school is full of overachieving Asians, it’s perfectly normal to be doing 12 in total.

We are having a party this weekend to celebrate her success and also that of my other 2 cousins who also passed nicely. She is probably getting lots of money from the older siblings and a laptop to assist the 'surgeon' in the making with her A levels.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

Well done to Hibo.

My sister got 3A*s, 6 As and 3 Bs today, yes I’m showing off
:D

WOW! Well done to her.

Well done to Hibo aswell.