Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Plz sign this petition (US residents)

Baashi   

Please sign it if u are US resident. It will help.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:32 AM

To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;

Subject: AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PETITION

Subj: FW: AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PETITION

This is the official site to sign the petition in favor of affirmative action. This email is well worth the time to send to all of your friends and chapter members. http://www.bamn.com/supreme-court.asp

It only takes 2 seconds to sign the petition.

We all need to be on board with this.

Baashi   

Sorry folks I intended to post this in General forum. Admin/Moderators could u plz move it to the General forum. Thank u in advance.

Originally posted by Lakkad:

I am against affirmattive action!

The black ppl need to play level ground with the rest!..thas me

Lakkad are you serious man? :( :confused: :(

Bachelor   

Honestly, speaking affirmative is unfair. It is a reverse descrimnation. Also, one thing i ademintly oppose is how the IVY league system uses the so call lagacy family. It is like this, if you have a parent who graduated from IVY league you will automatically grated the enterance (privillge). That is how BUSH admitted to YALE. Imagine, had such system put to end, where would Bush be now? Also, how his IQ would be? :confused:

Baashi   

Unfair! Nah!

Yes there are side effects and unpleasant implications inherent in this policy. After all it is a law drafted by men…and men are imperfect creatures. Every now and then, some sort of corrective action is desirable. This policy created conditions adverse to fairness and conservatives took advantage of the Michigan case and branded this unintended effect as being reverse discrimination. They may have a point in addressing that issue but that is not what is being contested here. Opponents are contesting the very existence of the 'Afirmative Action' itself…remedial action that addresses past wrong-doings. This is very complicated subject ‘black-and-white polemics turned gray’ kind of topic so I won’t bore u with its never-ending pro/con assertions.

Consider this: 350 years of slavery, 100 years of segregation, and institutionalized perception of blacks as being inferior race. With that perception lurking in the shadows, try to compete with well-established, well-represented whites (with 450 years of opportunity to get educated, make money, etc) in housing, employment, education, etc. And don’t you forget they control resources, they wield power, and they make decisions. In a society where race matters very much, it is a moral imperative to enact laws that ensures underrepresented minorities not be discriminated when enrolling in the ‘selective’ higher education institutions.

If music aptitude, athletic aptitude, other aptitudes can give you points that determines whether you get in or not, why not use race? The mere fact of being women will give you points! The GI bill that created American middle class as well as baby-boomers was selective process sponsored by the US government and guess what! blacks missed that hand-out. Anyway, I can go on but the fact of the matter is the Judges ruled in favor of the policy and opined that Government has a compelling and vested interest in seeing underrepresented minorities enroll higher education institutions. It is not unconstitutional to use race, they said, as a plus factor in evaluating the students in the enrolling process (e.g. borderline minority students). With that, white angry male has one more chance to realize that America is changing and the courts continues to hand down decision after decision that tears down his castle.

From now on, admission offices in these schools won’t be liable if they take into account race as a factor (among many) in the admission processes. There are so many quota system practiced in America but the neo-cons tend to focus on the ones minorities benefit from. The court was with us this time around. I’m elated in hearing the verdict!