Sign in to follow this  
SomeAlien

I AM ILLITERATE

i have a hard time reading somali...

i have m0re embarrassing secrets that ill keep t0 mysel(ph) 4 the time being... maybe telling me some o yours will inspire me to share more.

OG Moti   

i have also some problems, i am intelligent and so smart but most of the times i dont realize that, and it is giving my people bad mood, cause they tried hard to make me realize how smart i am but i just play dump all the time... i hope that made u inspired a bit, dont worry, i will teach u somali in no time....

First lesson:

- X exis letter (english) = Ha "Somali"

example: Ximaar "Somali" = Himaar "english" meaning donkey

- C se (english) = Aaa (somali)

example: Cali (Somali)= Ali (english)

the rest is read as english

examples:

Adiga magacaa >>> take note that letter C is read as Aaa, so it becomes adiga maga aa = what is ur name?

Easy, man i am a great teacher, dont u agree?

Good luck

Hey i have that problem too... I usually skip anything thats written in somali.. unless it seems really interesting.. den i sound the words out.. and that takes a while lol But its really not that hard.. u know practice makes perfect.. so i practice by reading the somali newspapers or go on somali websites in my own time and teach myself. There is really nothing to it, a little practice is all it requires

you guys are supposed to share similar embarassing issues, not dwell on mine.

*sigh*

i do sound out the words, but sometimes i stll cant identi(ph)y the w0rds due t0 my limited s0mali v0cabulary... i didnt grow up w/ many somalis... i have an accent.

thats like three embarassing secrets right there, yall better come correct!!!

hmm.. well i don't really find that embarrassing you see most somalis i know can barely speak somali let alone read or write it. And not growing up wit somalis is not embarrasing.. its not something that you can help anyway..

and just outta curiousity wat kinda accent do you have.

Jamilah   

Asalamu Calykum,

i have also some problems, i am intelligent and so smart but most of the times i dont realize that, and it is giving my people bad mood, cause they tried hard to make me realize how smart i am but i just play dump all the time...

You have an extremely big head. :rolleyes:

Salaam

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Somalien I really sense the pain you're feeling due to this. I come from a small family, and I grew up during my years of mental development around english speaking people, I lost my somali, and when I moved to Minnesota...whenever I spoke(or tried) to speak somali my relatives would laugh at me.That used to make me so angry, and my anger worked in helping me learn my native language.I used to feel so embarrassed. However, these days my family only speaks english at home because my family say that since we live in a english speaking country we should speak the language as much as we can.I am proud to say I speak flawless somali, even though some people think I sound reer xamari, but thats somali for ya. I can read somali, but it takes me 5 mins. to read a whole sentence...so sad...so true...so I'll have to accept that...so life goes on...so nevertheless I'm still somali...so I guess I'm just semi-illiterate in somali...soooooooo I dunno...I'll just have to practice some more.

I have one more embarrassing cultural thing to add: I used to not know how to make malawax(like injera but you add oil and flip it to both sides), its so sad...God I hope no one finds out :eek: ! But, the good thing is I'm practicing :D

Ladiif   

Modesty, keep on practising sis and make sure u know how to make it before we meet smile.gifsmile.gif Me no eat Mcdonald especially in the mornings.

MUQAWAD   

Naa hadaadan Af Soomaaliga aqoon kumaa kusoo doonan doona?

sow ceeb ma aha in adigoo Soomaali ah aad hadana aqoon luuqadaada?

maxaa inaga raacay Qurbahan?

war illeyn tanoo kale waligiin ma aragteen?

is bar adeer afka oo is ku day inaad barato waa sidee waxaas waa ceebe!

waan kuu duceyniye af ka baro oo usheeg wiilasha haku baraan.