Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

WHEN I DESCENDED (Waagaan Soo Dagay)

Abtigiis   

When I ‘descended’ (Waagaan Soo Dagay)

Too much Diaspora coming down to visit their villages too often these days! That is pathetic. They sullied the importance of Dibada, and soo dagid. It is always in my mind, the first time I ‘descended’. Habar-yar Ceebla whistled the Mash-xarad ilililil, and if I remember correctly, someone broke eggs next to my leg as I walked. To protect me from bad spirits. I carried a very big bag full of hadiyad for ehelka and qaraabada. Habo’s friends chanted something that still sears in my sub-conscience. I don’t recall properly but was it “ Wuu soo dago, waa wiilkayagii”?. Most probably, something in that line.

And like a chief who arrived back to his turf after a long absence, people lined up to greet and have a glimpse of me. Saafi, inaabtiday, was so proud of her role. She brought one young boy and young girl after another; introducing them to me. "Kan miyaad garan, waa ina Jirde. This girl is my dear friend. Waanu isku dheernahay. Her name is Malyuun. Ilaw iyo ilawba inaabtiga ituss bay I tidhi".

But those are not the ones I remember very vividly. I remember eeddo Koraad’s more useful introductions to the children of the reerka. “Kaalay Bashiiroow”, she would beckon for him to stand near me. And then the interrogations start. “ Car bal garo waa ina ayo?” as a clue I am told, “ bal yuu u eg yahay?”. After I fail, she would chuckle and affectionately pat me at the shoulders, and would tell me who he is, and waxaanu isu nahay. If he/she was a kid who played with me intaana badda talaabin, she will give me good remarks to revive my memory. “Bil amaara, waa kii aad maalinkii ceelka ku riday ee ilaahay uun bixiyay! Bal intuu la’eg yahay day manta! Car garo?”. With the benefit of hindsight,nowadays I wonder if that was supposed to be ‘in dad la isbaro’ or reminding the young man of ‘dakannoyin horeeyey’. The worst was when she commented, “Soo ma ogid Qorane in uu wali lugtaad ku dhufatay ka dhutiyo”. Qorane was standing there smiling.

And the small town will talk about me. “Ina Dhegga-cadde yaa soo dagay”. Pretty girls will do their utmost to befriend my sisters. I even heard that week, my younger sister Nuura reconciled with a girl she hadn’t spoken for a year. That week, my sister was busy delivering white and blue checkered envelopes to me. Not that there is anything particularly so amusing or attracting about me. But it is my status. Remember, I just descended. And if someone is lucky [a girl], she can ascend soon.

But I liked the male enchanter’s talk, above all. They talked about me. How great I was as a boy. Some swear that they saw my present day glory coming, long time ago. Others prophesize about the great reaches I am to attain tomorrow. For example, Cabdi Haybe said that he saw me and him in a dream. “ Inagoo meel qurux badan fadhinna, oo all the people saying ‘who is the man dressed in all white, standing on top of the rotunda. Look at his grace and valour.’" Cabdi Haybe is adamant I was that man. Waving to crowds of adoring rer-Hawd. He didn’t tell me what my particular achievement was. I assume I was some kind of celebrity, or a king or perhaps a warrior. I don’t know. But he is sure. He said he heard people saying my name: “ku salaannay Saxaroow”. That must be the short of my full name: Saxardiid.

Speaking of dreams, I had mine too. Cabdi Haybe wasn't in it. But Maxamuud Tulux was. I recall we were killed by Xabashi army, who accused us of beloning to a clandestine organisation. We were hanged. At the burial ceremony, As my body was lowered to the grave, I was astonsihed to learn Maxamuud was actually alive. He was saying "Haadaa xaqqullah, Xaqu Daa'imu laah" along with the rest. And someone in the crowd was whispering to another, telling why Maxamuud escaped death. The two men were talking behind him. I overheard their discussion. And I knew what he has done to me. He was only arrested to give the false sense he is a suspect. Isagaa ileen i jaajuusay, I knew that while under the soil. I also knew who cried for me and who didn't. I like the absuridty of death in dreams, and in the morining-alive and kicking, I confronted all. "Waan kala bartay dadka".

But the old men, Aabo and Adeero, always delivered the last but most serious sermon at night. “ Sidaad moodi wadanku ma’aha. These people who are smiling for you at day are enemies. Iska ilaali. You must be careful of everybody. Don’t give them any money. Xoolo la baytimaaliyo ma hayno. Rer-Hebel nin bay inaga dileen. Agtooda ha marin. Kii xumaa ee luqunta dhuubnaa, Adan dheere, was saying he wants to invite you. We are not sure what his intentions are. You know, he is Midgaan. Don’t eat anything from his house.”

The first few years, I listened to them. The next years, I challenged and disobeyed their orders. Can I afford not to be with Shamsuddin? Ah! There is no one like him. But they call him Midgaan. This misanthropic society of mine! They are all sinners.

Apologies. I glided to a different didactic subject. Back to the ‘descending’ ritual. My old friends will come and I will show them the Album. It is always the Album first. “Meeshan miyaad garan, Margret Tatcher baa lagu aroosay”. I show them all the buldings and the 'assumed' life they missed. The envy in their eyes! Ilka-cadoowo -that is the nasty epithet they gave to Wali-yare,he will demand my T-shirt and sunglasses. “Adigu xagaa ka iibsoo oo kuwan iiga tag”. Sometimes, I refuse; but mostly I give him. He is a nice chap. Always willing to get me some cigarettes when I am badly in need. “ Royal cadde unbaa yaal, maad rabtaa?” he asked me one day. I was so sorry for him to have walked for over a kilometer to ascertain my preference. He could have grabbed anything around.

Buuxo   

LOL@Meshaan Magaret Tatcher lagu aroosay. :D Interesting read Abtigiis,i see why SOlers haven't offered you biyo yet.Warka aduunka baad heysa ,soo quf hee smile.gif

in the morNining-alive and kicking, I confronted all. "Waan kala bartay dadka".

By far the best part, ragiisa aa tahay.

Out of curiosity, when you write sheekooyinka, do you have a specific structure you follow?

If not, may I suggest that you fictionalize your work, add a little juice to it so to speak?

I think the best way is to engage your reader from a narrative point of view. You need to play with your focus style and tone. (i.e leave out the "I"'s completely)

You need to develop your own style using the tradional forms of writing, even if you don't want to tackle if from a narrative point of view as suggested above.

All in all, I love the zest your writing has. YOu have excellent imagination and you should utilize it to the full extent.

NGONGE   

Though you're useless in every other sphere (mainly football icon_razz.gif ), when you do tell a story you do it wonderfully. I'm sure that this one still has some life in it, don’t end it so abruptly.

Sheekooyinkaaga, Adeerkiis, waaba ku wareeraa aniga. Intee ka socotaa, una socotaa? Yaa soo dagay, yaana kacooyo? Wareer iyo laba lee iga dheh.

But the old men, Aabo and Adeero, always delivered the last but most serious sermon at night. “ Sidaad moodi wadanku ma’aha. These people who are smiling for you at day are enemies. Iska ilaali. You must be careful of everybody. Don’t give them any money. Xoolo la baytimaaliyo ma hayno. Rer-Hebel nin bay inaga dileen. Agtooda ha marin. Kii xumaa ee luqunta dhuubnaa, Adan dheere, was saying he wants to invite you. We are not sure what his intentions are. You know, he is Midgaan. Don’t eat anything from his house.”

The first few years, I listened to them. The next years, I challenged and disobeyed their orders. Can I afford not to be with Shamsuddin? Ah! There is no one like him. But they call him Midgaan. This misanthropic society of mine! They are all sinners.

Ereygaas -- waa kan "m"ka ahee -- ma fiicno in la isticmaalo in this age and time. I know inay sheekada ku dhex jirto, laakiin si kale u sheegi kartay without using that derogatory word.

Coloow   

Waryaahe Ina-dheeg (this name reminds of an old pal)

I don't know whether what you wrote is true but I have experienced at first hand the story you wrote above. I understand why that kind of circus takes place; the little village is so proud that their son has accomplished something (education, money etc). But don't forget to bring some books, pens for the school and a few shillings for the chief!

The last time, I was back home to my little village, I held a presentation about my journey: devise incentives for the young kids(very little symbolic amount)to be given to the best student. Promise to pay the school fees of the best student (it is not that much)

Be diplomatic when abti, adeer, eedo, habaryar etc propose you to marry their daughters. Thank them and tell them politely that you are already married to four women (don't forget to give a few shillings to show that you are flattered).

Abtigiis   

Lazie G.

This wasn't a serious shot at storytelling. Just did that for fun. Your point is well taken. "I" is good for introspection and expressing internal monologues. An omnipresent "he/she" (third person narrative) gives you the the advantage of knowing what is going on in the mind of others.

I will use your advice. Creative writing class baad i siisay. Thanks.

Ngonge

Ironically, I think I excel in football commentary. By the weay, I envy your sheekooyin. To be honest.

Please read Ilka-Cadaawo (the teeth of the enemy) not Ilka-Cadoowo. Typo error.

MMA

I use that name to denouce this sinful discrimination. Hiding that side of us won't give a remedy to the ill. I don't like the censorship here on such matters. Waa in laga hadlo oo la dhaleeceeyo.

Nephissa   

OMG! You're very talented, this stuff is freakin awesome.. clap3.gif..more please!

ps.

Holly hell! Don't mind the pseudo English professors, they couldn't write 1/3 of your piece even if they were typing for three days. Truth be damned!

Paragon   

Lol.

Wallee wiilku waa war-gal smile.gif . Adeer bal soo wad. It's just wonderful how you've brought out Somalida and their mentality into the story.

Brilliant stuff!