Jabhad

If the King of Pop Converts to Islam

Jabhad   

If the King of Pop Converts to Islam

by Daniel Pipes

New York Sun

March 7, 2006

New York Sun

Michael Jackson, the king of pop, is "on the verge" of converting to Islam, CBS News reported last week. If that's true, it fits into a recurring and important African-American pattern.

art_3436_1.jpg

Rumors of Mr. Jackson's conversion first surfaced in November 2003, a month after his arrest on child-molestation charges. Saeed Shabazz, a reporter for the Nation of Islam's publication, The Final Call, announced that Mr. Jackson had joined the organization. He added that NoI's leader, Louis Farrakhan, "sees a lot of spirituality in Michael." But the Nation of Islam denied this connection and the topic quickly faded.

It resurfaced only after Mr. Jackson's acquittal of the molestation charges in June 2005. By October he had moved to Bahrain, living in a spare palace belonging to Crown Prince Salman ibn Hamed Khalifa. Mr. Jackson's lawyer described him as "living permanently" in the tiny Persian Gulf island state with just 363,000 Bahraini subjects and half again as many foreigners.

In November came the news of Mr. Jackson donating "a huge amount of money" to build a mosque near his new residence. The Khaleej Times newspaper explained that the mosque "would be designated for learning the principles and teachings of Islam as well as teaching of English language, for which high-standard teachers would be brought from United States under his personal supervision."

Michael Jackson in Muslim women's clothing

In January, a Bahraini business, AAJ Holdings, announced it had hired Mr. Jackson as an entertainment consultant. In addition, Mr. Jackson was spotted leaving a Bahraini shopping mall wearing a black veil, black gloves, and a black robe (called the abaya). To avoid publicity, in other words, he dressed like an Islamist woman.

Given Mr. Jackson's famous eccentricities, it is unclear what his Bahraini venture amounts to, but if he does convert to Islam, he will be following a path in place since the late 1940s, of African-Americans under stress turning to some form of Islam. Their ranks include some notable high-profile cases:

Malcolm X: the Nation of Islam leader converted while serving time in prison in 1948.

Tawana Brawley: the much-publicized hoaxer converted after the exposure of her claim of being gang raped by white men.

Benjamin Chavis: the head of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People converted after his scandal-ridden eviction.

John Allen Muhammad: the Beltway Sniper converted after a bruising divorce.

Henry Tillman: the Olympic gold-medal heavyweight boxing medalist converted while in prison on charges of murder.

Mike Tyson: the heavyweight boxing champion converted while in prison, serving time for rape.

James Ujaama: the celebrated community activist who had battled drugs and prostitution converted to Islam at a time of career problems; he later pleaded guilty of conspiring to help the Taliban.

Also, O.J. Simpson, the football star accused of murdering his wife, recalls, "when I was incarcerated I read the Koran," but he apparently did not go on to convert.

Mr. Farrakhan has won himself much attention by ostentatiously backing well-known American blacks who find themselves in trouble, such as he did for Michael Jackson after the 2003 arrest. Other figures include:

Marion Barry, the mayor of Washington, convicted for illegal drug consumption.

Alcee Hastings, an impeached Federal judge in Florida.

*** Savage, a U.S. congressman from Illinois, charged with sexual harassment.

George Stallings, a Catholic priest accused of child molestation.

Also, during the high-profile 2004 trial of Lionel Tate, then the youngest-ever American sentenced to life in prison without parole (for killing a little girl when he was 12 years old), the Nation of Islam (according to the Palm Beach Post) stationed about 20 "black men dressed in sleek suits and bow ties" in the courthouse. Their leaders "spoke with the teen's attorneys, offering advice on security."

These and other examples establish Islam – in both its normative and Nation variants – as a leading solace for African-Americans in need. That helps explain why the United States has by far the largest Muslim convert population in the Western world (about 750,000 adherents). Each black public figure who converts to Islam or accepts Nation of Islam support creates an added impetus for other blacks to change religions, a pattern that has also emerged in other Western countries.

Thus do the actions of an erratic celebrity in distant Bahrain have significant consequences.

Saaxiibayaal, I hope micheal will discover the truth and become a Muslim inshallah.

http://www.islamicity.com/m/news_frame.asp?Frame=1&referenceID=25044

ElPunto   

How utterly unfortunate! They are mixing up the Nation of Islam(aka Garbage) with Islam. Can't these ppl do a little basic research? And didn't anyone tell MJ that he can't be a Muslim unless he gives away all of his 'haraam' assets, abandons playing with children and attempts to return to his original skin color? Just what we need, another 'Muslim' a la Mike Tyson. :mad:

ElPunto   

OMG - is it THE Daniel Pipes who is the author of this article? Can it be? No way.

Personally - I don't want Michael Jackson and Islam to be associated in any way whatsoever. He is the definition of a POS.

Castro   

How on earth did Daniel Pipes get an article featured on Islamcity.com? The man is one of worst right-wing and bigoted "commentators" America has ever produced. :rolleyes:

On Michael Jackson (and though he made Thrilla), I say gimme a ooucc.

Khalaf   

Personally - I don't want Michael Jackson and Islam to be associated in any way whatsoever. He is the definition of a POS.

Is there no possiblity that this could actually be real? Who are we to judge, its better to say may Allah guide him to the straight path. And what is POS?

And didn't anyone tell MJ that he can't be a Muslim unless he gives away all of his 'haraam' assets, abandons playing with children and attempts to return to his original skin color? Just what we need, another 'Muslim' a la Mike Tyson.

Haraam yes and the life style he led yes, but the skin color, come on brother. We don't know, if will be like Tyson, he went to Arabia built masjids, I pray for the man instead of denouncing him prematurely.

The picture of mike in abaya is to discredit the man's character which is wrong. The article (Mr. Pipes) wants us to believe ppl convert cause they are lost, hopeless and the like, and this is not hard well thought out decision.

Jacpher   

I am amazed at the terminology utilized. MJ resembles Islamist woman in public by putting on cabayad? Connecting Islam with Nation of Islam [aka Farkhanism] and asserts MJ’s conversion to Islam, may trigger large masses of blacks converting to Islam? And this is supposed to be news??

And didn't anyone tell MJ that he can't be a Muslim unless he gives away all of his 'haraam' assets,
abandons playing with children
and attempts to return to his original skin color?

How it is possible to return to his original skin color? Exposure to the sun 24/7?? Old habits die hard so I don’t know how he’d overcome the kids. Honestly, I thought Islam wipes out all his sins, misdeeds upon embracing the Shahada. May Allah guide him to the right path.

Guhaad   

knowing MJ's background;

In November came the news of Mr. Jackson donating "a huge amount of money" to build a mosque near his new residence. The Khaleej Times newspaper explained that the mosque "would be designated for learning the principles and teachings of Islam as well as teaching of English language, for which high-standard teachers would be brought from United States under his personal supervision."

did this ring any bells for anyone!

Jabhad   

How on earth did Daniel Pipes get an article featured on Islamcity.com?

I had difficult deciding to post or not to post this article writen by one of the staunchest enemies of Islam.

Just what we need, another 'Muslim' a la Mike Tyson.

Lets hope he does not become like Mike tyson the terrible.

Niya   

Ahhhhhhhhhh wasn’t it the NOI that said GOD appeared in the form of Fard Muhammad. Call it our kinda KKK. We have infidels amongst us.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by AbdulNoor:

quote:

Is there no possiblity that this could actually be real? Who are we to judge, its better to say may Allah guide him to the straight path. And what is POS?

And didn't anyone tell MJ that he can't be a Muslim unless he gives away all of his 'haraam' assets, abandons playing with children and attempts to return to his original skin color? Just what we need, another 'Muslim' a la Mike Tyson.

Haraam yes and the life style he led yes, but the skin color, come on brother. We don't know, if will be like Tyson, he went to Arabia built masjids, I pray for the man instead of denouncing him prematurely.

The picture of mike in abaya is to discredit the man's character which is wrong. The article (Mr. Pipes) wants us to believe ppl convert cause they are lost, hopeless and the like, and this is not hard well thought out decision.
I was in a crappy mood when I posted so... But seriously brother - are you defending MJ's character? Please! God guides whom he wills. I just don't understand why anyone would want MJ to become a Muslim(or is it NOI cult member)? Personally, I like ppl of good character and knowledge to become Muslims - not Wacko Jacko.

PS - POS = Piece of S***

ElPunto   

Is it THE Daniel Pipes for sure - or someone who has the same name? Last I knew - he wasn't a journalist. Any one know for sure?

Castro   

^ 100% sure. He boasts the article on his bloody website of lies. :rolleyes:

And I wouldn't call that twig "THE".

ElPunto   

^^Ok - then it is to be disregarded completely. And his obfuscation of NOI and Islam is deliberate. ******* .

Castro   

^ Very deliberate. He's supposedly an "expert" and ought to know the difference but he came across as anything but an expert. Which in fact is the truth for he's an expert on manipulating the ignorant masses and nothing else.

Blessed   

The picture of mike in abaya is to discredit the man's character which is wrong.

Gaw, gaw! The 'man' is discrediting Muslim women and the hijab by wearing the Abaaya. :rolleyes:

He has discredited his character all on his own, the freak.