Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Maryan’s Afro-American Husband

Abtigiis   

Mayan endured more pain than the scorn she will face in the wedding ceremony of her fellow Somali’s in Milwaukee that night. She shrugged and decided to put some paints on her lips for the party. “What more will they say?” she exclaimed and proceeded with her preparations.

Since the day she married Elijah, an afro-American Muslim, she has been the subject of gossips and attacks from the wider Somali community. But thanks to her families, she stood her ground and lived happily with the love of her life.

That was three years ago. Now, with a baby girl Latifah, she is pretty comfortable in her marriage save for occasional intrusions by uncivilized Somali’s. Like the middle-aged man whom they met at the remittance center when she was sending money to her sister in Somalia. She didn’t hear what the man said, but Elijah said he heard what they were saying. Elijah doesn’t know much Somali but has come to know some words by way of their relevance to him. “War adoonkani gabadha ma isagaa qaba?” is one of them. The man in the money transfer center actually didn’t say that. Instead, he was concerned if the black man with the Somali girl was a cab driver and was wondering whether the lady was new to the city and didn’t know the risks involved in what she was doing.

Elijah is gratefful that his mother-in-law and her brothers in town accepted him as their son. He knows this has nothing to do with the fact that he helped to bring five of their family members to America. It also has nothing to do with the swiftness with which they were given a residence permit, due to his connections as a born-and-bred citizen. It is because he is good to them and more importantly because their daughter adores him. Even when the mother-in-law sometimes tells visiting Somali’s “adoonkan gabadha qaba boqol Somali quman ah kuma doorsadeen” he doesn’t mind the nasty epithet. He rather looks at the gist of the statement, which is an approval of him. She even smiles suggestively and tells the Somali’s “what do maryooley know about him? Micheal Jordan laba ayyay kala tirsadaan ninkan.”

For Maryan, this is her second marriage. She spent two terrible years with an owner of a shop in a Location near CapeTown. She still riles when Somali’s pride themselves of being cleaner than Afro-Americans. Elijah is always clean-shaved, and spends time in the bathroom almost twice a day. If he would have read as many books as the deodorants he brings home every week, he perhaps would have been a Professor by now, she thinks. Compare this to Sheikh Dahir, her former husband. He used to come to his house every two months. No doubt he was a courteous man and hardworking. But he wasn’t as clean as Elijah. In fact, she had tolerated his weird requests for a long time. Whenever he arrives and she rushes to put warm water in the tiny bathroom, he waves his hand disapprovingly and tells her “iskadaa, hadhow baan israacsane!” It might have been because of the urgency in the loins that he wanted to postpone taking the bath, but he didn’t know how much his impatience had contributed in extinguishing her desire. After two years, she couldn’t stand his stench.

So, with all this in her mind, she headed to the wedding place. Two hours of happiness and bliss passed. Then, suddenly she spotted that a young Somali man was hugging and talking to her husband, who was sitting a bit further. She can see Elijah was confused. She took quick strides to help him out. And then she heard it all!!

“Waryaa Aweys, how did you end up here?" It was clear to see the excitement, yet the disbelief in the young man’s eyes.

Elijah mumbled and looked to the sides. Then, the young man talked to Maryan.

“He is my childhood friend from Mahadaay. Is he your husband?”

She knew he was either confusing her man to somebody else, or this was yet another of those periodic sneers she had faced all along.

She told the young man to go away and leave them. And then, Elijah spoke something that made her faint. “Asagaa saxan”, he said in fluent Somali looking to the ground.

Three days later, and after she was taken back to her family after brief hospitalization, her mother confronted her, “you worthless whore! How can I tell anyone my grand daughter is Jareer!!...Hoogayoo baáyey!! Ceeboobayey!”

LooooL....Goood one, at first I was gonna sue for the over-played stereotypical portrayal of the middle aged Somali man in the west as if they are more racist than your typical redneck, but now I'm astonished at the family's hypocrisy :D

Something similar supposedly did happen, I can't say if it is true or if it is one of those Somali stories.

Juxa   

ibti dont look so shocked, that is exactly how somalis discriminate

good story abtigiis! altho hadii aad tahay nin gabar dhalay, you should hold farta on your wadnaha

Blessed   

Whose to say that she would not have married him if he told her the truth? It's not as if Somalis are too keen on none Somali 'jareer' or otherwise, really. She must have fought for him even as an AA.

Castro   

Originally posted by Geel_jire:

it is a
very plausible
scenario

:confused:

This is about as plausible as UFO abductions.

Originally posted by Elisa:

^Are you saying there are no UFO abductions?
:D

have you noticed since the cellphone camera came of age, the number of "UFO Sightings" has reduced dramatically?

I hope she divorced his azz.

Cara.   

Whew.

I read all the shocked responses before reading the story, so when I got to the embrace between the husband and his friend I thought "A&T has gone too far!"