Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad

Syriana

Muhammad   

Critics have been hailing "Syriana," George Clooney's latest film to take on the policies of the Bush administration, as a cinematic tour de force that has "compelling real-world relevance" and is "unsettlingly close to the truth." But what is the truth "Syriana" supposedly approaches? Put briefly, the plot traces the ramifications of a bungled assassination, authorized by the CIA, of a Middle Eastern leader who decided to sign a major oil deal with China instead of an American oil company with close ties to the US Government. read more

I am so Watching this Movie.

& to show my determination, i am even gonna bootleg that shitte after i watch it on its opening night & then get it on DVD from BlockBusterr...[Watch me baan ku idhi] :cool:

STOIC   

The movie has an underlying theme that illuminates the fierce human pursuit of power and wealth. In the shadow of Bush administration’s war on "terror", a new movie like this one could add another impulse to the truth behind the obscured motives of the war in Iraq. Bush administration may not buy this but a movie like this one may create a new shape of the public awareness. Today oil is the major commodity that wield power and organize world order. Some countries may use force to create this world orders while others like China may try to use their economic power to get access to this world order( China has recently signed a pipeline oil deal with Iran). This is one of the few movies that has been created by a new production company that is owned by the Co-founder of eBay(Mr. Skolls). His movies try to seek human answers to the problem that face the world today be it social, political or climate politics.

Check this out, men with money spending it on the right path! Participate

PS I haven't seen the movie but i am planing of seeing it.

Temujin   

I am thinking of seeing it too although I am the type who does not give a f**k about what happens outside his doors.I saw the preview on Apple and it seems interesting.

J.Lee   

^ Money well spent, dear!

I've been dying to see this movie since I saw a clip of it couple of months ago. I have this suspicion, the clip was pirated.

I honestly like the action sequence: because it is a political intrigue but the selling point was when the Redneck uttered: "That is why we win!"

I was intrigued, what did they win exactly? and what was the reason? I wholeheartedly believe seeing the movie will help me answer these nagging questions.

B.T.W

Check out Good Night, and Good Luck!

Yeniceri   

Let me be the first to burst the bubble: Syriana is highly-overated. The plot (and several mini-plots) tries to convey "the truth" in relations between the U.S. (gov't/corporate) and the Middle East.

That's such an impossible task to accomplish in a two-hour event. They tried, but succeeded in confusing me about where the plot was headed, at times.

Also, it seems like a well-researched movie, but they make the same mistake the producers of Kingdom of Heaven made: when the character of George Clooney says "Asalamu Alaykum" to the leader of Hesbollah movement, the leader replies with the proper "Wa'alaykuma Salaam" - when, in fact, it should be "Wa'alayka" since Clooney is a non-Muslim. In Kingdom of Heaven the same thing happened when a non-Muslim got a similiar reply from the Muslim caliph, Salah-u-diin. This mistake seems redundant amongst Hollywood movies. No matter how hard they try to understand, somehow they fall short.

In short, Syriana is a good attempt to portray reality but fails in some cases because it tries to tell a gazillion stories in one. Pretty boring at times too - not as much action as I'd hoped.

I give it a "C" grade.

Castro   

^ Ok Mr. Ebert. :D I give the movie two thumbs way up. A must see by all accounts. The only shaky part is the terrorist recruitment plot. It seemed a bit contrived. Other than that, it's well worth the $8.50.

Jabhad   

I am thinking of seeing it too although I am the type who does not give a f**k about what happens outside his doors.I saw the preview on Apple and it seems interesting.

When FBI breaks into your home, because your name sounds Arab or Islam, then you'll give much thought before saying such a statement.

I saw Syriana and its cleverly designed to mislead the World as most Hollywood movies are when it comes to how they portray Arabs and Muslims.

Anything bad or uncivilized that they discussed in the movie happens to be a Muslim country. The most troubling part of the movie is when they portray Islam as a backward and violent religion. High class hotel in dubai was even given to Spain in the movie to get their point across that there is no pretty things to be seen in that part of the World except death and destruction.

This is what Cheney had to say.

Vice President Dick Cheney: "Syriana" "the best film I’ve seen in years. Syriana’ is the first film I have ever seen that recognizes and celebrates the power of America’s greatest friend, oil.â€

Although the movie sends mainly a negative message, it has some positive parts including digging the dark side of the big oil companies, the CIA, and the US government. And my favourite the Arab Emir who is trying to imporove the lives of his people.

Castro   

Originally posted by haruun:

This is what Cheney had to say.

Vice President Dick Cheney: "Syriana" "the best film I’ve seen in years. Syriana’ is the first film I have ever seen that recognizes and celebrates the power of America’s greatest friend, oil.â€

Where did you get this Cheney quote saaxib? Could you provide us the source please?

I found the references to Islam in Syriana to be at worst neutral and at best positive. The discrimination and subjugation foreign workers face in oil-rich Arab countries is neither fictional nor is it a reflection on Islam. Arabs were shown to be intelligent, educated, generous and aware of their wealth and how it's being squandered. Oil company executives were shown to be greedy, immoral and violent. The US military and CIA were shown to work for and obey big business interests. From where I stand, all the descriptions above are accurate. What's your beef saaxib?

I would only add that Israel was not mentioned once in the movie. A suspicious omission, to say the least. It is difficult to imagine how this alphabet soup of CIA, Arab, oil, terrorism and occupation would not have Israel some where in it.

Jabhad   

Castro

Where did you get this Cheney quote saaxib? Could you provide us the source please?

Here is your source sxb. But don't ask me why the CNN, Aljazeera and the BBC did not consider this a news worthy.

http://datelinehollywood.com/archives/2005/11/28/cheney-calls-syriana-movie-of-the-year/

Castro

Arabs were shown to be intelligent, educated, generous and aware of their wealth and how it's being squandered.

Castro sxb, the movie has some positive as well as some negative sides to it as far as how the Muslims and the Arabs are portrayed. However, on a positive note, I have to concede Syriana as well as Kingdom of heaven is not your typical Us(American) VS them (Arab/Muslim) type of movie. Which is a good start sxb. Positive statements such as "Arabs are family oriented" said by the wife of one of the main character(Matt Damon)is rare in Hollywood and a step in the right direction.

syriana.jpg

Two powerfull and controversial movies to watch are Paradise and Munich.