Sign in to follow this  
money

Olympic's blurring my ......

money   

I am addicted to watching the olympic games, specially the gymnastics, diving, swimming and valley-ball so far. What is killing me is the beauty and human spirit of the athletes and the pride many of their countrywomen and men have seeing them compete and win. What is more captivating and astounding to see is so many talented girls doing such acrobatic and aesthetic sports and I think to myself where are the Muslim girls? why are they not there to compete and join their world counterparts in competing such beautiful games? I know the Asians and the Europeans are way more advanced than us (Africans and Muslims) socially, economically and have put a lot of wealth in developing their young Olympians and athletes. But besides of economic development, I question the cultural norms, attitude and differences in terms of women athletes in the Islamic and Arab countries? is it the (Arab) culture which Islam came out of that is restrictive and prohibiting young girls from the Muslim world to express and exercise their physical talent in sports. These are just questions ....when would we see a Saudi female skater winning the gold medal? or Qatari women competing synchronized swimming? Or Somali female gymnast? When? at the end of the world? in the hearafter? Do they have Olympics in Jannah?

I hadn't seen much, only some swimming ciyaaro. Seems a bit more than watchable and good to watch, siiba qeybta gabdhaha. Jineestikada iyo orodka dhaqsaha ah (100-400 metres) ka heli jiray, though I hadn't watched any so far. And I don't mind watching beach volleyball, of course women's one. :D

Som@li   

I also used to love watching Olympic games, but haven't got time to watch any these days, So far maybe seen one game.

I am amazed by the spirit of the Olympians, and the look on their faces after winning GOLD.

It is time african countries should spend more on developing young Olympians.

Australia has around 20 Million people and has highest representitives,it is all how much a country invest in sports.

When are Somalis athletes compteting BTW?

Ibtisam   

is it the (Arab) culture which Islam came out of that is restrictive and prohibiting young girls from the Muslim world to express and exercise their physical talent in sports. These are just questions ....when would we see a Saudi female skater winning the gold medal? or Qatari women competing synchronized swimming? Or Somali female gymnast? When? at the end of the world? in the hearafter? Do they have Olympics in Jannah?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*Edited*

Ibtisam   

^^^Loool^^^

M.r. Gelo:

If he was your teacher than you are from London, not Hollywood :D ....unless you moved, and I can't see anyone moving frm london to hollywood

Fabregas   

waxalaye snychronized swimming for xalimos, maybe if they do it jalabeeb! As for a xalimo in the gymnastics, I wouldn't want my daughter or sister to stretch her legs forth all day to entertain sum dirty old man dem!

how about an Islamic Olympics?

p.s. religion and olympic orientated sports never had an easy relationship. Some jews abandoned worship for athelticism during the Roman occupation and I believe some temples were even used for that purpose( to the anger of the sectarian movements who saw the promotion of ahtletics and other relates as a plan to paganize yahud).

quote:When the author of the first Book of Maccabees, our main source for the term Maccabi, wishes to characterize the wicked Jewish accomplices of Antiochos' Hellenization program, the first act he sees fit to describe (I:14) is how the traitors "built a gymnasium in Jerusalem in the heathen fashion, and submitted to circumcision, and disowned the holy covenant; they allied themselves with the heathen and became the slaves of wrongdoing (Flavius, 1996)."

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/Sports/SportsOverview/premodern.htm

NGONGE   

^^ Isn't there a Somali female athelete in this year's event? I'm sure I read about a 16 year old girl somehwere.