Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

What are you going to do when you grow up?

N.O.R.F   

Malika,

I think we're talking about two different things.

Business development in Somalia and amongst diaspora Somalis is all well good and I'm all for it.

What I wanted to highlight was the distinct lack of ambition amongst the Somali kids today (particularly the boys) and their perceived and now common red herring of 'wadanki ayaan waxaa ka bilaabi' or 'wadankii baan ka shaqeyn'. Wishing to start up a burger joint in Somalia of all places is by no means ambitious. The likelyhood of Somalia being in a position for him to realise his dream is minimal at the moment. As an insurance policy if you like, kids should plan for working in a decent job where they are in the diaspora today. If things pan out well for him then thats a bonus but he should be made to realise his dream may not come to fruition and that he should prepare well for life in the west.

A dose of realism hurt no one dear.

Norf1 your thinking is all wrong bro, at some point we need to face up to what is happening back home and try to rectify through the experiances we gained from living abroad.

That kid shoould be seen a model for all Somali youngesters.

Malika   

Lol@Sayid,you didnt upset me walaal..You just said a typical Somali thing to say dee..Lol,I would be honoured if an ambitious young man knocks on my door for my daughters hand in marriage one day.. smile.gif

Norf,

A doze of reality is always good,but you should also remember nothing is permanent too, the situation in Somalia will not forever be as it is.The changes will come one day,and the more the need of those in Diaspora[in any field] to contribute in its development too.

Malika - i am the epitome of typical somali man! as for this young man, i shall forward him your address when he opens that chicken and shop in somalia.

as for the ideas exchanged here: whilst you all have valid arguments and made some interesting points; i must bring you back to reality and that is:

We all have to prioritise our ideas and acknowledge what is doable and what is not. there is nothing wrong with this young man's plan even though i believe he said this in jest for his known for his like of chicken and chips. but let say he was for real, then that should endire him to get some education and career in this country for him to fulfil his altimuate goal, which is to go back to somalia and open that shop.

After all having any kind of dreams is better than living or having just nightmares.

U undermine the kids in the diaspora, remember u are one of them too and look how u turned out.

Enough kids who grew up in the west, got some of sort of decetn education and understanding of our faith, maybe a consructive and stuructered programe to make them aware of the problems that exists in Somalia is vital in their development and from they can determine how best they can benefit Somalia.

The times of the warlords is fast coming to an end, the choice is simple either we will the that viod or let younger warlords take over.

Abtigiis   

Not every child in Somali aspries to be a warlord, resistance. I am sure the kids in the west will be part of the bulding blocks of somalia,but many of them will also be bringing in undesirable things into the society. So, let us not talk in catagorical terms.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Malika:

ps.I like this kid

I hope you mean the 'fat' kid... icon_razz.gif

Says a lot about this kid's character and his good upbringing to keep his native Somalia close to his heart and include it in his dreams...After all what's the point of dreaming if you can't dream big, right?

And as for this 'dream' of his, c'mon give the kid a little break, he is in school now isn't he? It is not like he is giving up on his studies to chase after this dream at the age of 11...He'll probably have another one before the year is over, and another one and another...That all goes with being a child, you can change your mind as often as you wish - without thinking of why!

is that one for every year you have passed 11? - no that couldn't be - you'll be too young to call Ayeeyo then

and by the way - was quarter dream about me? :D

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

is that one for every year you have passed 11? - no that couldn't be - you'll be too young to call Ayeeyo then

and by the way - was quarter dream about me?
:D

Clever! Xisaabta baad kufiicantahaa filayaa? The 22 represents every half a year I've passed since 11 plus 11 divide that by 11 add 22 divide that by 80 multiply by 100 minuse .25 multiply that by 1 = ?

About the dream, the quarter was about a cow (sac) swimming in its own doodoo, and the funny thing was it seemed to be enjoying it...That wasn't you, was it? You don't bathe in that do you? :eek: