Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Can't Think of a Tittle

Nephissa   

Along with the breakdown of the family has also come the breakdown of true friendships and true affectionate relationships.

I remember growing up in back home, holding hands, or at least walking arm in arm, with my close girlfriends. No problem.

I can remember resting heads on each others shoulder in the classroom. No problem.

I can remember my brothers having tight

friendships with their boys, hugging and kissing each other on the cheek in public. No Problem.

Now folks can't even be tight with someone of the same sex unless there's at least some whispering.

This is crazy! Does liking someone of the same gender make you gay?

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Its the way that westerners operate.

They are Cold and distant people

that love their precious

'Personal Space' and 'Individuality'.

When I went to the middle east a few yrs back

and had some friends want to hold hands with me

when talking and crossing the street,

my eyebrows lit up. But in the muslim world,

its a sign of brotherly/sisterly affection.

It was a shock to me cause I been in western lands

for the majority of my life.

Miriam1   

Looool thanks for the topic sister, I was brought in the arabs, where u pushed, hugged and kissed ur girlfriends on the cheek..but once we came here its a whole different ball game..it was a violation of a person's personal space if u did nyting of that sorts...its sad in a way.

I remember my brothers teacher called my mum once and told him that the kids in his class were complaining baout my brother bieng too "touchy" my hoyo was like bieng what!? lol when we found we couldnt stop laughing it was a the wierdest teacher complain my mum ever heard!

Its the society that pushes on them these sick boundaries.

Just like Somalia...There are some taboos in this country.

If you live in it, deal with it...but personally, I don't like to see public displays of affection b/w same genders....no matter what gender that is.

And it's just WRONG to see two men kissing..cheek and all.. :eek:

LuCkY   

Yes in a westerners eyes that makes you gay...aLthough i dont agree with them they have every right to beLieve that hence the increasing numbers of homos in their society.Some even go the extreme as to have the church except their way of Life even though its immoraL---akhaas!!!

But it aLL comes down to how you were brought up which either makes seeing the same genders be affectionate towards one another disgusting/gay or to see it as a brotherLy/sisterLy way of Letting one know how you feeL towards them-none of that homo stuff.

Bishaaro....I have never seen boys kissing on the cheeks in Somalia. Hugging yes.

Anyway, we live in different culture where people's sexual orientation is always a debate on TV, Radio and so forth. It is only understandle that ppl will whisper if they see ppl of the same sex holding hands or being affectionate. I have a lot east indian students in my school, and anyone who have been to India knows freinds walk around holding hands. This symolizes freindship to the indians,but in my school, the americans were all whispers n looks when they saw Indian two guys holding hands. N i have a lot of indians in my school, so you could imagine how the americans reacted when they see that many ppl coming together.

dawoco   

Have people stopped doing that? No wonder i get sideway looks :D

I have known most of my friends for far too long to tiptoe a conventional rule in a western world...

No matter where i go, i will always remain somali. And i expect my customs to be respected just like i respect that of others. And as long as i am comfortable, who cares what others think?

Juxa   

hahahahahhaha,

i went bck to somalia, first time in long time, and i saw 2 guyz, one having his arm around the others shoulders! i swear to god, i freaked.

i totally forgot that bck home men hug, not kiss, but give each other big, warm bear-like hugs :rolleyes: