Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Duqooshinkeena

Sunday was a bit beautiful day, weather-wise, where all those indoor-bound all winter long venture out the tiniest warm sun they see, including the usual semi-naked young women.

Also the warm sunny days brings out some of our Soomaali elders that mar alla markaan arko ka naxo.

It is sad to see the state of theirs. All winter long holed in inside their homes, with few far and between going outside. This takes a heavy toll both on their mental and physical health. Especially on their physical health.

When I see our elders -- especially our aged mothers and grandmothers -- aad iyo aad ayaa ugu naxeysaa. In a dark constrast how they were at back home, they are almost universally hard trying to walk. You can see that how painful it is for them. Lugoodana bararay contributed by fadhiga badan and being holed-up inside all those winter months indoors. Some of their legs is more than barar.

Each late spring and summer, I am always reminded this, particularly since a large park is just around the corner where some Soomaali elder women gather during those brief months.

Sunday was one of them. An elder Soomaali eedo was walking away from the park and trying hard to catch with what I assumed to be her grandson, who was with his young teenage buddies. She was in considerable effort trying to catch them.

I greeted her from the back -- "eedo iska waran, ma fiicantahay ... --, she instantly turned and beamed, obviously both equally surprised the unexpected concerned Soomaali greeting and at first not seeing me at all. I wanted to walk with her back to the apartment she lives, but I was in rush and she was not that alone either since her grandchild was with her, albeit not exactly walking with her at her side.

That eedo was just a typical Soomaali elder in here Koronto -- lugaheeda sadly bararsanaa, which made her grimacingly difficult to walk, let alone catch fresh-abled teenage legs.

Runtii, our elders Eebba ayaa u maqan.

Chimera   

I usually see a old Somali lady who lives next to us when i come from the gym carrying heavy groceries and i run for assistance :cool: but i think Somali elders should be granted aliyah back to the homeland :D that's where they belong!

Paragon   

I am reminded of an old man who used his arm as a thamometer. Folds his shaati, opens the window, and sticks it outside to gauge how cold or warm it is smile.gif . The colder it gets, the more sweaters he puts on. Poor old man. I use to imagine myself in his position many years from now.

I should start grooming myself as a odey geeljire ah. Baadiyo, here I come.

Ms DD   

My parents have moved back home and since they have been gone, they didnt need one single medication. Firfircooni iyo fudeyd ayey ka qaadeen. My dad is diabetic and mom suffers from arthritis. For both of them, the sun of Bosasso was wonderful.

I compeletely agree with you there MMA. I noticed Hindu and Carreabean communities have ururo and meeting centres where they do all sort of activities including walks in park, cooking food and general leaisure activities. Some elders I spoke to say, it alleviates the lonliness they experience when their kids go off to work or school or generally busy.

N.O.R.F   

All the more reason to use the time you have now to be active and eat well.

I hope to be faster than my sons (insha allah) when they are 20 inshallah.

I noticed Hindu and Carreabean communities have ururo and meeting centres where they do all sort of activities including walks in park, cooking food and general leaisure activities. Some elders I spoke to say, it alleviates the lonliness they experience when their kids go off to work or school or generally busy.

Every sizeable newcomer community I know of has at least one particular community centre, where both their kids learn their native languages and where the elders gather to socialize. Anaga? Hmm. Honestly, we are a dysfunctional community.

I was reading on the paper a couple weeks ago about a Vietnamese boy who was killed in accident. They mentioned he was a gooy boy, who used to go to his Saturday morning Vietnamese school. Here, Vietnamese haddee u bataan are half of what we number around here -- Soomaalida are said to be around 100,000-strong in Koronto -- yet, hal iskool oo afkeena ciyaalkeena ku bartaan ma furno. Even if one tried, that person will be ridiculed because we don't value or have in faith afkeena hodanka ah ee suuban ee hooyo.

Neither hal meel ay waayeeladda isku imaadaan ma furno. Ah, of course, we have got the usual useless, divided 'community' organizations, geared toward to newly arrivals and immigrants. They don't even help those whom they claim to advocate to.

Ayaandaro weyn ayaa na hesysato meel walba aan joogno.