Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

‘Romanian village re-elects dead mayor’

Paragon   

Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:59pm BST

BUCHAREST (Reuters) - The residents of a Romanian village knowingly voted in a dead man as their mayor in Sunday’s municipal election, preferring him to his living opponent.

Neculai Ivascu, 57, who ran the village for almost two decades, died from liver disease just after voting began — but still won the election by a margin of 23 votes.

A local official said the authorities decided to keep the poll open in case Ivascu’s opponent, Gheorghe Dobrescu, won, avoiding the need for a re-run.

“I know he died, but I don’t want change,” a pro-Ivascu villager told Romanian television.

In the end, election authorities gave the post to the runner-up, but some villagers and Ivascu’s party, the powerful opposition Social Democrat Party (PSD), have called for a new vote.

(Reporting by Marius Zaharia; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky)

LINK

Cara.   

The funny thing is I heard this on the alarm radio this morning, and was thinking I'd dreamed the whole thing.

Paragon   

^Lol.

Cara, I tuned in to BBC R4 last night to catch the headlines before sleep, and I fell asleep laughing my head off lol. I had a very good sleep and dreams. Very unusual.

Cara.   

That's good Paragon.

I had the opposite experience back when Benazir Bhutto was assassinated. No unpleasant dreams I could remember, but felt unaccountably sad the whole next day.

Cadaan, just had a nap and you won't believe what happened at the PTA meeting I dreamed about. The kids are really gonna be unhappy come lunchtime!

Paragon   

^I can understand that. I can't remember how I felt that day actually. It's all a blur.

But usually when something bad's about to happen to people, I get dreams, bad dreams. I use to get clearer ones when I was a boy but I guess im no longer as innocent.

Gediid   

John Ashcroft Bush's attorney general ran against a dead man in Michigan and still lost.He was rewarded by Bush as head of the US justice department.I suppose it cant get any worse than lose to a deaceased candidate.