Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Madrid bans waifs from catwalks

N.O.R.F   

Madrid fashion week, one of Spain's most prestigious shows, is banning underweight models on the basis of their body mass index (BMI).

UN health experts recommend a BMI of between 18.5 and about 25, and some models may fall well below the minimum.

The Spanish Association of Fashion Designers has decided to ban models who have a BMI of less than 18.

Unhealthily skinny models at last year's fashion shows led to protests from doctors and women's rights groups.

The association agreed to use the BMI - a calculation based on height and weight - in response to local government pressure.

It suggests that 30% of would-be participants fail this test and this year's fashion week, which begins on 18 September, will offer medical treatment to excessively thin models.

Outrage

"The restrictions could be quite a shock to the fashion world at the beginning but I'm sure it's important as far as health is concerned," Leonor Perez Pita, director of the Madrid fashion show, was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

Madrid's local government says it wants to set a more positive, healthy image of beauty for teenagers to follow.

You cannot ban skinny women in the same way you cannot ban fuller bodied women

Terry Killeavy

UK

Send us your comments

"Fashion is a mirror and many teenagers imitate what they see on the catwalk," said regional official Concha Guerra.

Spain's Anorexia and Bulimia Association says if designers refuse to follow these voluntary restrictions the government should legislate to ban thin models.

However, some sections of the fashion world have expressed outrage at the idea of weight restrictions.

Cathy Gould, of New York's Elite modelling agency, said the fashion industry was being used as a scapegoat for weight-related illnesses.

"I understand they want to set this tone of healthy beautiful women but what about discrimination against the model and what about the freedom of the designer?" she asked, adding that the careers of naturally "gazelle-like" models could be damaged.

bbc.co.uk

The goverment is over-stepping its powers. Blaming an industry for wieght related illnesses is the wrong to go. It is the parent's job to inform their teenagers about the dangers of anorexia and bulimia.

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

The goverment is over-stepping its powers. Blaming an industry for wieght related illnesses is the wrong to go. It is the parent's job to inform their teenagers about the dangers of anorexia and bulimia.

Be real sxb. In the world of fashion & modelling; often times money comes first. I think its only fair to legislate some of these out of hand industries where young vulnerable teens fall into deceptive ads & the lures of fame,money & power

Pierre...Are you talking about teenagers(model wannabes) in the Fashion Industry, or the everyday kid that imitate models. I understand the industry must be regulated to guard against abuses directed at prospective teenage employees, but as far the general public is concerned, the goverment shouldn't be legistlating any social agendas. That job should fall on the parents. It is the parent's responsiblities to make sure that your duaghther don't starve herself.

Modesty   

I wouldn't be surprised to see the day full figured models are walking the runway. Tastes change, one day it's stick figure, tomorrow it's curvy.

Xoogsade   

^ It is brutal world out here where if you have some weight on you and don't measure up to the expected standard of beauty, no one likes you and you know everyone who looks at you is saying silently to themselves "here goes the hippo". Even if you greet fat people nicely and smile at them they are suspicious somewhat and wonder if you have some mischief behind the smile because no one has been nice to them like that. Considering the negatives to being big(which I think should be avoided at any cost anyway), one can understand why girls want to be a stick. It is like survival for them and being accepted. they will be happier and feel better about themselves. People will respect the girl just because she looks how the society wants her to look.

I have the luxury myself to wonder why haven't overweight people done something before things got out of hand and they suffered both psychologically and physically..

Khalaf   

^^^^brother times have changed thanks to fat is beautiful campaign....fat girls have confidence now. :rolleyes: I work at the lab and this fat girl comes there everytime I am working-macking me yo. she puts her big chest all up in my face, flirting, asking for a hug. I saw her in my dream…subhanallah… Fat girls are fat… rolls 10 stomachs, triple chins, pig nose… that aint beauty…thats a nightmare!

Xoogsade   

^ Khalaf, you are nice and friendly so it is normal that she hits on you. Try to educate her about your limits as a muslim guy and that while you can be a friend at work, physical contact without marriage is a no no for you. How about you pull out that prayer rag? it works like magic lol. You don't even have to tell the pretty girls at work you can't play hide and seek with them afterwards.

I work with attractive women here :D , luckily, when I was hired years ago, I was fresh from Africa and kept my regular prayer schedule(I still do), so most of them if not all saw me pray in the conference room which has glass walls, people can see me pray when walking by. Because of that, they keep to themselves though they chatt now and then with me and we conversate about ordinary things from religion to politics. Some of them even think muslim guys are cool now.

Xoogsade   

LOL, I am not shy to pray in public. Well, not so public at work here anyway but most empty rooms are conference rooms where they hold video confereces or training programs for us and seminars. Instead of going down to the basement and pray there or pray underneath the stairs and behind doors, I do it in my cubicle or in one of these glass-walled conference rooms. One of the co-workers even asked me to buy him a prayer rag because he loved it and wanted to hang it on the wall of his sitting room. And I bought him two with no charge.

The conference rooms are all glass so naturally walkers by will catch a glimpse of you praying. They will know you are different and have some cultural norms you practice, so they will be more respectful and careful. They even ask me here when there is pizza party what kind I eat. Of course, CHEESE I say :D I am trying hard to get some fat on my bones so they don't have to tell me how fast the wind is blowing any given windy day to make fun of my slim figure. They don't understand the genetic angle and that we somalis are skinnies lol. I am not skinny like most somali guys but still skinny in the american standard since they are mostly big.

And finally, you are right, Khalaf should set the standard because the sweet chubby girl doesn't know he is bothered by her innocent hit on him. Who knows, she might slim down for him and take islam :D

so whats the big deal! spanish dudes always like healthy gals! lool.. do u blame them! aint that why they chase the bulls! come on!!

see them gals to la!! we love them! love yah nicole!! shes awesome!........!

:cool:

Khayr   

Originally posted by rudy:

so whats the big deal! spanish dudes always like healthy gals! lool.. do u blame them! aint that why they chase the bulls! come on!!

Saxib,

You really are from the Bay Area/Cali.

Rudy, your 'hyphy' with your comments. :D

Khalaf   

Edit:

I remembered this quote of Omar ra: "I am Suprised at three things, Man runs from death while death is inevitable. One sees minor fautlts of others but overlooks his major faults. When there is any defect to one's cattle he tries to cure it, but does not cure his own defects." Haram to talk about others! May Allah Forgive All of Us, Ramadan Kariim!

peace out