Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

'We are proud to be Africans'

STOIC   

When did Kenya improve like that? Everything in this world can change in any shape or form.Whoa...what an improvement, though i still dislike where i was born(kenya).

Qac Qaac   

what's the point of being proud of something u didn't choose.. u saw urself in Africa or in Somalia.. u didn't choose it. so what's the point..

but i am proud of the old somalians, and the old africa, i am not proud of the africa after colonial era...

Og girl, and mutakalim how come i am not surprised...

Viking   

It was quite suprising that Muslims preferred Saudi Arabia to USA.

I am a big fan of Nkrumah and Nyerere and used to see myself as a Pan-African.

Qac Qaac   

I am a big fan of Kwami Nkrumah too Viking what a man.. if we only had ppl like that now adays... punch of greedy guys everywhere, ex-militio of something, ruined all africa..

NGONGE   

I’m proud that I’m African, proud that I’m a Brit, proud that I’m a Somalilander and just because I can, I’m also proud that I’m a Somali.

Arabs consider me an Arab and I’m proud of that, women view me as a man and that also gives me immense pride, animals think me a human and some humans treat me like an animal, I’m proud of both. I’m proud of me wherever I come from or may be.

If my brother is a great singer, I’m proud of him but more importantly proud of me. If my cousin a great sportsman, it’s probably because it’s down to me! My sister is good looking; she’s got my genes. My father is kind; he’s got my manners. My neighbour is helpful; he copies me.

My boss is mean; it makes me full of pride for I played my part in honing that meanness.

The whole universe revolves around me and navel gazing is my greatest hobby. :D

N.O.R.F   

^^lol

I recently watched Micheal Palin travel from west africa to east africa, travelling through places like Senegal, Mali, Timboktou and so on. It was beautiful,,,,

So why do we refer to freinds at Uni/College as 'africans'? ie my african freind, this african guy/girl etc etc and refer to east african freinds as my Eriterean/xabashi/kenyan freind? are they not all africans? or are only west africans 'the' africans?

Hope i made sense?

I am proud to be African and i feel shame to be Somali.

Guys, what do u feel when someone asks u where u r from ?? do you feel proud or really feel shame when u tell him u r from Somalia and asks u if Somalia is that country demolished by civil war ???

I wish i could change my Society redface.gifredface.gif

LANDER   

Northerner,

I think its simply due to familiarity. Somalis are alot more familiar with ppl who are geographicaly and culturaly closer to them such as eritreans, ethiopians, sudanese etc... than other africans. Also some aspects of our culture lead to inherent racism towards other Africans. We all have heard the terms “adoon†and other such words used commonly by Somalis to elevate themselves above other black Africans. In all fairness though, I have noticed this racism also to be present in other African cultures. Some west Africans have their own biases when it comes to Somalis as it has become apparent to me. Me and some homeboys ran into some loud mouth Ghanaian guys a few yrs ago, apparently they had the audacity to tell my friend that Somalis are “fake Africans†and should go back to Arabia, they weren’t so eager to run their mouths when the numbers evened up. After that little encounter, they apparently added: “somalis are crazy and short tempered†to their list of stereotypes. Anyway a few of them don’t consider us African very much like the aspects of Somali culture and that won’t allow for some somalis to refer to themselves as “Africanâ€. In the end though, most Africans are not racist towards each other and meeting other Africans is often a friendly occasion and an opportunity to learn from another culture of our continent. I think that is why I refer to my Ghanaian and Nigerian friends as just that and not simply “African†and we are glad to know each other in a Uni with not too many other Africans.

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

I am proud to be African and i feel shame to be Somali.

Guys, what do u feel when someone asks u where u r from ?? do you feel proud or really feel shame when u tell him u r from Somalia and asks u if Somalia is that country demolished by civil war ???

I wish i could change my Society
redface.gifredface.gif

Civil war, FGM and hunger. Top 3 queries from those 'in the know'. Or a completely blank expression. When people ask these questions, I answer with what I know but I also tell them things they don't know. Don't get hung up on the negative opinions that outsiders and we ourselves have. Come on, is there nothing that comes to your mind that isn't shameful about Somalia or Somalis? Speak about that next time someone queries after your ethnicity.

I am proud to be a muslim. Thats the only thing I have a choice in.

P.S. Actually "proud" isnt the right word. Im grateful and happy that Allah choose to guide me in the striaght path and made me a muslim. Alhamdulliah.

Salaam

Saalixa   

Jacayl Baro

i don't need to tell them iam a somali person. they would quickly guess iam from the horn of africa wothout me even mentioning it. Its in me blood yew know and the first thing they'll say is somali's are the most beautiful ppl in Africa. :D and i will reply " oh of course, i know"

And why is it that the article does not state all those countries from North/East Africa???