Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Day of Ashura

chubacka   

AA, I dnt know that much about them either and I know some are moderate and others v. extreme but in general the shias believe after the Prophet saw passed away Ali was the rightful successor as he was family, thus Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman had no right to become Khalifah. They resent all these companions for usurping power and some if not all curse them in their salah.

Find our for urself ia and ask your friend what they believe.

BOB   

Originally posted by chubacka:

haha dnt worry Bob i shud of chosen an unambiguous name like yours... Sally or something...
;)

Now that is an insult...I said I'm old not Dumb :mad: kidding.

Naah...you have the right to choose whichever name you see fit dear sister and my nick has a personal meaning and has got nothing to do with Rastafarian and Bob Marley...besides I'm too old for music especially one which requires a constant jumping to the air :D

Aaliyah...My dear sister I'm not anywhere near a scholar so I'm sorry if I don't have the knowledge to make it permissible for you to attend the free show where you watch men torture the sense out of themselves all in the name of Islam after all the Shia Ashura has a completely different meaning to the Sunnis...I know that much.

as far as the Shias are concerned the Ashura is celebrated as the most important day of the longer Muharram festival.

their Ashura festival commemorates the death of Sayyidina Hussein (R.A) so for them the Ashura is a day of great mourning, and strong emotions are expressed in the many rituals and activities connected to this day.

the most visual of these celebrations being the flagellation by male Shias...for example whips, often with sharp ends or even small knives are used to make their backs bleed...the reason for this ritual is that only physical pain can truly reflect the pain of the muslim world when Sayyidina Hussein was murdered marka basically to them Ashura is the day of self-mutilation.

for Sunnis it has a different meaning...for example the day is considered to be the celebration of different historical incidents, like the day that Prophet Nuh p.b.u.h left his ark in Mecca and the Ka'ba was opened for visitors on this day and its also the day our prophet p.b.u.h arrived Medina while according to some scholars there are hadeeths which say Ashura can be traced back to ancient Arab times and prophet Ibrahim p.b.u.h and prophet Muhammad brought the tradition back to its pristine purity and correct practice...

Allah s.w knows the best.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Khayr   

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

Actually my knowledge of the shia group is limited. Chubacka, why would they curse the companions of the prophet csw?

North, I dnt know abt the shedding blood. waaba baqay walahi lol. But, she did mention beating their chests. My friend assured me it was touching your chest lightly, she said some ppl over do it though.

Salams,

As a sunni MUSLIM, you don't have to necessarily beat your chest or mourn the way our shia MUSLIM brothers and sisters do. You can just sit down and listen to the talks and the stories. Your presence in and of itself, will serve as a moral and psychological support to them.

And as for insulting the companions, its only the cultural shia muslims and the extremists among them who do that. For the most part, those that recognize sunnis as there fellow muslims, don't insult them.

Its a sign of goodwill on your part as a muslim, to accept such an invitation. It goes along way towards refarriming the notion of ittihad baynal muslimeen/unity among muslims.

Fi Amanillah

Aaliyyah   

^^ thank you guys. Totally appreciate your answers.

I suppose since I was invited, I shall go.

bt dont worry I wont beat myself. smile.gif