Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Why are some Somalis backwards?

Modesty   

I live in a very Somali populated place. I didn't grow up in Somalia, but most Somalis I meet that are from there recently are shock me. They believe in weird stuff, and some of them are plain mean lol. Also, they stare alot...why is that? I don't know about you, but when some1 stares at me for 20 minutes as I wait for my bus, that's creepy. I love my people, but lol some stuff they do is really odd...maybe it's b/c I wasn't raised in Somalia.

winnie   

*stares*

just say hi, or smile. we tend to act wierder with strangers who we identify with than with the average stranger. if you dont know what i mean, here s a scenario. suppose there were an old italian lady staring at you while you were waiting for the bus, youd probably just smile or do something to diffuse the situation, which would most likely work. but because the person acting strange is someone we identify with, there is all this internal dialogue you go through, and general questionning of our customs which just makes the situation even more awkward.

the other party probably feels just as awkward.

*oh, there is ayeyo. i wonder if she saw me, shes just standing there. am i supposed to say hi, what if she wants to small talk, oh my god shes crossing the street, shes coming straight towards me, shes saying hi*

"uh, 3leykum salaam ayeyo"

*awkward smile and head nod*

*dead silence*

*tumble weeds roll*

Originally posted by Modesty:

I live in the midwest...go figure and I bet it was u starting at me for 20 mins jacalybaro...admit it
;)

Well, i used to stare at girls long long time ago before i had this big belly and the airport-look-like bald on my head ,, that was when the teeth were complete

But now ........ i have to tell you you would RUN AWAY from me if i make that stare :D

Ahhhhhhh ,, and i had to google the midwest:

The Midwestern United States (or Midwest) refers to the north-central states of the United States of America, specifically Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.[3] A 2006 Census Bureau estimate put the population at 66,217,736. Both the geographic center of the contiguous U.S. and the population center of the U.S. are in the Midwest. The United States Census Bureau divides this region into the East North Central States (essentially the Great Lakes States); and the West North Central States (essentially the Great Plains States), although Minnesota, which is listed among the West North Central states, is not listed as a Great Plains state.

Modesty   

oh, there is ayeyo. i wonder if she saw me, shes just standing there. am i supposed to say hi, what if she wants to small talk, oh my god shes crossing the street, shes coming straight towards me, shes saying hi*

"uh, 3leykum salaam ayeyo"

*awkward smile and head nod*

*dead silence*

*tumble weeds roll*

LOL, that made me laugh..so well put. *Stares* back

Modesty   

Umm Jacalybaro, i'm assuming you are in the UK, since you had to actually google midwest.lol. P.S. I'm sure your wife doesn't mind your bidaar *stares* :eek:

maybe they were amazed at your beauty, and complimenting you by staring at you. you should be happy someone would look at you that long. not everyone is that lucky. if its starting to creep you out, just ignore it. and its not just somalis that do it, everyone does it.

Originally posted by Modesty:

Umm Jacalybaro, i'm assuming you are in the UK, since you had to actually google midwest.lol. P.S. I'm sure your wife doesn't mind your bidaar *stares* :eek:

No , i'm not in the UK but i would love to have a cup of coffee in London, Shiffield and Bristol.

Well, she made me develop this bidaar so she doesn't have a choice i guess :D

Modesty   

cadaan wrote

Have you ever thought that maybe you're the one that's backwards, Modesty? [Wink]

Me? hahaha, that's utterly insane to say that...I happen to be one of the most updated person in the world redface.gif :rolleyes: Well maybe "backwards" isn't the term I should've used...maybe I should've used something else. :rolleyes:

RedSea   

Modesty,

Do you also find somali men young and elderly to be flirty?

Besides, the only midwest state where there are alot somalis is Minnesota. Sorry if I qarxis you. smile.gif

Aaliyyah   

perhaps, it runs in our genes to be friendly to a fellow somali person, like nod ur head or smile at them, or maybe great them. But, if you mean somali guys staring at you at the bus stop for good long time and not getting the guts to start a conversation with you,,,yeeh that is creepy. Actually, even when they start a converstaion with me I ignore them, or I claim am married with two kids heheheh...(that is my advice if they ever approach you)..

wa salaamu alaikum

Pucca   

If you're living in mn i'd understand you completely...the people there have vision problems that doesnt allow their eyes to move from one focus point to another. So you'll have excuse those folks, they cant help it.

as for other places though...be plain, most ppl ignore the plain folks.