Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

Abayas turn fashionable in Gulf

SOO MAAL   

Abayas turn fashionable in Gulf

_16602_abaya-31-5-2006.jpg

From butterflies to crystals, women in Muslim Gulf region take pride in their trendy black robes.

By Lydia Georgi - DUBAI

They come with sparkling crystal beads, pearls, satin flowers, embroidery, or patches in colored fabrics. Abayas, the long black robes worn by women in the Muslim Gulf region, have become trendy.

For a wedding or other special occasion, the abaya must be as stylish as the dress underneath - and the shinier, the better.

But add to the abaya what you will, one thing remains sacred: it must be made of black fabric, with crepe the top choice in the United Arab Emirates.

"We here must wear abayas. So, much as other people like to show off their clothes, the only thing we can take pride in is our abayas," said Hana Mohsen, a 26-year-old Emirati broker picking a new outfit in a Dubai shopping mall.

"Since the abaya is black, they (designers) introduce novelties on it. If you go to a wedding, you will see abayas more expensive than the gowns," she said.

"I choose my abayas as I would choose a bag or a ring. I have a cupboard just for abayas. My relatives in Saudi Arabia do the same," said Mohsen, adding she would spend up to 3,000 dirhams (820 dollars) on a wedding abaya and half that amount on one meant for other outings.

The abaya, though, is only part of the story.

The "shaila", or large scarf wrapped as head cover, must be matching. Alternatively, a fancy shaila will liven up a plain abaya worn at work or on daily errands.

A 19-year-old Emirati university student, who asked not to be named, explained why one of the patches on her head cover was in jeans fabric.

"It's because I'm wearing jeans," she said, slightly pushing back the front of her plain abaya to show her trousers.

"The cuts differ too," said Amer Batah, a Syrian sales manager at an abaya boutique.

"You've got the French cut for instance, which fits the body and becomes wider at the bottom. And there's the butterfly, which is trendy at the moment," he said, showing off a sample of the "butterfly" with a wings-like cut under the sleeves.

"Kuwaiti women love the 'butterfly'," said Hassan Humaidi, another abaya salesman.

While classic black lace is still used, Swarovski crystal beads, single or multi-colored, are the hit for dressy abayas.

"They have a special sparkle. And they don't fall if you wash the abaya," said Humaidi, explaining why these particular crystal beads are so popular.

Saifullah Nouraei, an Iranian designer and branch manager at one of the leading abaya retailers, said things had changed a great deal since women in the oil-rich region wore only plain abayas that came in a single piece covering them from head to toe.

"They now follow the fashion in everything. You can't be wearing a Giorgio Armani dress with a 100-dirham (27-dollar) abaya on top," he argued.

"We can't change the black color of the abaya, so we work on the design," he said.

Nouraei, whose displays include dazzling hand-made abayas fetching between 1,000 and 2,000 dollars apiece, said many customers choose their own designs, and the price depends on the load of precious metals they want sown on their garment.

"Of course, not everyone wears crystal ... Not everyone drives a Rolls-Royce, right?," Nouraei said.

"Some ladies design abayas at home and sell them. It doesn't cost much that way," said Aysha Abdullah, an Emirati housewife who wore an abaya embroidered with thick thread in different shades of gray.

The simple traditional abaya, costing in the range of 55 dollars, is still holding its own even in liberal-minded Dubai, especially among the older generation.

But advocates of fancier versions are convinced they can combine fashion and modesty.

"I cannot have my wife going around in a short dress while I am wearing a dishdasha," said Rashed Mohammad, a Kuwaiti man in the long white garment worn by men in the Gulf as he strolled with his Moroccan wife in a shopping mall.

Never mind that his elegant consort, sporting an abaya decorated with golden metal and matching head cover, could cause more heads to turn than a less attractive woman in a short skirt.

"Abayas are now both decent and fashionable. Everyone follows the fashion nowadays," Mohammad said.

Now this is about fashion and modesty..Great ways to stay Islamic..

I was reading an article read by the NY times saying even the somalis(Muslims) who were not covered before 1990 have joined the fashion of Abaayas..

She who loves abaayas.........Loves Fashion and modesty

Nura   

even the somalis(Muslims) who were not covered before 1990 have joined the fashion of Abaayas..

I love the idea that it’s becoming more acceptable amongst Muslim sisters that there is beauty in the abayas. Excuse my pessimistic perspective covering up is great if you’re doing it for the sake of Islam but if women are wearing it because it’s a fashion trend….well that speaks for itself it’s pretty pointless. I can appreciate that some people may believe at least one Islamic requirement is out of the way. However, there are a lot more factors that hold a higher priority. Nonetheless, any movement is good for Islam, I can see that this could only encourage younger generations to following in the right direction.

Janna   

Abayas come in Chanel to Calvin Kelvin, pink to green. There is nothing more beautilful then the plain black abayas. No need be decorative to attract.

Forget about cabayas. I have seen jalbaas that have glitter no joke. I wonder will we have glow in the dark jalbaas too??

The cabayas posted by soo maal are ugly. A freind of mine from Saudiyah bought me a tight fitted cabay designed to show off my curves. Thankfully I only wear it inside my house. I could not possibly allow my mother to die of a heart attack could I ???