Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

Minneapolis controversy over attending an “interfaith service”

AYOUB   

by Laura Yuen, Minnesota Public Radio

October 13, 2010

St. Paul, Minn. — Muslims in Minnesota's Somali community are condemning what they believe to be extreme views espoused by both a Twin Cities imam and the operator of a local Somali website.

Upset that the two men publicly derided Islamic spiritual leaders as "infidels" for attending a recent interfaith service, followers of Islam and its peaceful tenets have rallied to speak out.

The Sept. 28 multi-faith prayer service seemed innocuous enough. Christian, Jewish, Hindu and other religious leaders stood side by side with their Muslim counterparts at Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis.

They wanted to reassure the imams in the wake of anti-Islamic sentiment seemed to be sweeping other parts of the country, such as a Florida pastor's plan burn the Quran. The interfaith leaders said Muslims were welcome in Minnesota.

Abdisalam Adam, a Minneapolis mosque official who attended the service, said he was touched by the gesture.

"We have learned from the people of Minnesota their hospitality, openness, and tolerance," Adam said. "It's something we've always appreciated. So I thought this was another good example of that leadership, coexistence and people of Minnesota working for the good of the community."

But since then, Adam has learned not everyone in his community had such warm feelings toward the event.

A Minneapolis imam named Abdighani Ali went on Somali TV and radio, declaring that Somalis who attended the service were non-believers. Ali's claims were echoed online by a man named Abdiwali "Dalboon" Warsame. On his website, Warsame wrote that the Somalis who entered the church lost their Islamic faith.

Adam said he and the other religious leaders were appalled.

"We thought, 'Should we let it go?' " he said. "But after careful consideration, we decided we cannot let it go."

While some saw the imam's comments as a vicious attack on community leaders, other Somali-Americans simply found it baffling. When Ali, the imam, appeared on a live call-in show on local Somali TV, he said the purpose of such interfaith services was to water down Islam and fold it into other religions.

He said in Somali that the imams who attended the service were singing for Jesus and reading prayers as instructed on the fliers -- a claim that the imams deny.

"If anyone goes there, and they stand there, and they take part in the prayers in the church, and they read from their papers, they are not Muslims," he said, according to a translation. "The person who is standing there is just like the infidels."

At the Minneapolis charter school where he works as an assistant director, Ali was a lot less outspoken than his on-camera persona. He denied characterizing the imams as infidels.

"No, I didn't say that," Ali said. "If the people pray, and for example, if someone goes to the church, and prays in the church, we consider them to be Christian people."

Ali said he did not know Warsame, the operator of the controversial website, which many Somali-Americans say sympathizes with al-Shabaab. In numerous articles, Warsame frequently invoked Ali, crediting the imam for exposing the "scandal" carried out by the Somalis who attended the multi-faith service. Warsame responded to an e-mail inquiry seeking comment that he stands by his coverage of the event.

Ali cut the interview short when pressed about the online video of his comments -- as well as inflammatory descriptions of the service found on his own website.

Many Somalis-Americans, the vast majority of them Muslim, say they feel compelled to distance themselves from Ali.

"To hear an imam who lives here in America say something like that surprised me," said Ilyaas Maow, editor of the Minneapolis-based Mogadishu Times news site. "This is something new to us. I've never heard imams challenging other imams, or questioning their loyalty to Islam."

Maow said Somalis in Minnesota were taken aback with the statements made by the imam and the web author of the articles. "Ninety-nine-point-nine percent" of the community disagrees with the two men, Maow said.

At a time when fear and misunderstanding about Islam seem to be growing in this country, Maow said he hopes the comments don't give more fodder to Americans who suspect the worst about their Muslim neighbors. Maow said many moderate Muslims feel they must speak up now, to make sure extremist ideology does not spread.

"I'm concerned about this particular imam," he said. "The reason is he's a powerful speaker. Imams like him saying something like this -- it could have a negative effect. We have young people that are listening. It sends the wrong signal."

But others who know Ali, the imam, say they don't believe even he buys into his own rhetoric.

Many Somali-Americans say they're more in tune with extremist speech ever since federal agents began investigating the radicalization of young men who left for Somalia to join a terrorist group. News that boys were being radicalized in Minnesota came as a surprise to many Somali-Americans.

But now, they say their eyes are wide open.

"Now we are awake," said Abdi Mohamed, a Bethel University student and limo driver from Minneapolis who said he supports dialogue between cultures. "If we see something in our community that is extremist, we're going to call them out on it. They have to be confronted, and they have to be held accountable."

Such unpopular views aren't likely to draw the attention of law enforcement. The FBI is not concerned whether people simply express extreme ideas, said agency spokesman E.K. Wilson.

"As far as any FBI interest or operational interest, there is none. I mean, it's not against the law to disagree, or to voice that opinion," said Wilson, the international terrorism supervisor in Minneapolis. "But I would say it's a little bit disappointing."

audio

AYOUB   

20101013_abdighani-ali-_39.jpg

Shiikh Cabdi Qani Qardhaawi oo markale ka hadlay dad Soomaaliyeed oo Kaniisad galay

Posted to the Web Oct 10, 10:14

Minneapolis:-Dood ka dhalatay wadaado iyo dad Soomaali ah oo galay Kaniisad ayaa weli waxaa ay ka taagan tahay magaalada Minneapolis,Imaam Masjidka Shaafic Shiikh C/Qani Qardhaawi ayaa mar kale waxaa uu ka hadlay xog kale oo dheeraad ah uu ka hellay Warqad ay akhrinayeen dadka galay Kaniisada iyo wixii ku qornaa.

Shiikh Cabdi Qani Qardhaawi oo na soo gaarsiiyey Warqad furan oo kaga hadlay dad galay Kaniisada ayaa waxaa ay Warqadubu qornayd sida tan:-

Warqad Furan oo lagu cadaynayo Xaqiiqadii culumada kaniisada kula ducaysatay dadka gaalada ah kaniisad si ay uga qayb qaataan waxa loogu yeer interfaith oo ah diimaha inay is galaan, kaniisadii waxaa ka dhacday in cibaado la wada sameeyey sida in lagu ducaystay luqadaha kala duwan, shumacyo dad muslimiin ta ka mid ahi ay ku shidayeen macbadka gaalada horteed in heesaha diiniga ah la qaadayey in musiga u gaarka ah kaniisadaha la ga maqlayey,markii aan arinta cadaynay ayay culumada golaha tagtay waxay soo jeediyeen muxaada rooyin ay dadka ku marin habaabinayaan oo ay dadka ugu sheekeey nayaan in war been ah laga fidiyey sawiradii aan tusnayna waxay dhaheen waa kuwa la abuuray.

Waxaan isku daynay inaan la xiriirno kaniisadii ay wax ka dhaceen si xaqiiqad loo gaaro, waxaan ka soo qaadnay waxyaalihii meesha ka dhacay iyo warsiyo kala duwan ee culumad gaalada ah noogu warameen in ay wada ducaysteen, barnaamijka magaciisuna u ahaa (Muti-faith prayer together) oo macnaheedu yahay diimaha kala duwan oo wada tukanya, waxaan kale aan idaacada taleefishanka maxaliga ah ka soo qaadany warkii oo duuban markii lagu jiray kaniisadda, waxaan kale oo aan macnaynay warqadii ay ku qornaayeen wiixii meesha ka dhacay oo u badnaa aayado laga soo koobiyey baybalada kala duwan ee yuhuuda iyo kirishtanka iyo buudiistaha.

Marka waxaan dad waynaya uga digaaynaa in arintaa si taxadar leh loo fiirsho, hadii umada la marin habaabiyo oo la sii wado inaan been ka sheegnay ragaa gaalada la ducaystay waxaan soo bandhigaynaa waraysiyadii ay baadariyadu na siiyeen oo ay ka waramayeen waxa meesha ka dhacay.

hadii loo baahdo xaqiiqo dheeraad ah aad iyo aad ugu faraxsan nahay inaad nala soo xiriirtaan eamilka masjid@masjidshaafici.com

CabdiQani Qardhaawi

Imaamka Masjid Shaafici

web page

This story is dividing the community, with some Imaam’s questioning the faith of other Imaam’s and some silly websites fanning the flames.

Somali’s and division..

Mr.Qani is a good Sheikh and very bright one ,but i wish sometimes he stays away from those he disagrees . But the fact is this The so called Imaams at the Minneapolis Masjids are bunch of Corrupt and Tribalistic Individuals, just name any Masjid in Minneapolis and you will see Most of the Umma who are praying there belong to almost the same Tribe, what on earth are we coming to .

Qardhaawi - seef la bood miyaa?? isaga maxaa kaga shan iyo toban ah hadday gaalada isku meel kuwa ducaysteen?

(Muti-faith prayer together) oo macnaheedu yahay diimaha kala duwan oo wada tukanya

sheekhu waa in uu ka fa'iidasto kolejjooyinka af-ing iriiska laga barto gelimada dambe

AYOUB   

C'on folks, the Sheikh has got a point. It's one thing if some Farahs are making some efforts to prove the "americaness" but going to church to pray is stretch too far even in the name of integration/assimilation.

miscommunication is mother of all misunderstandings - e.g:

Me: Please excuse me, i am going to pray and come back

My Tutor: Go ahead and pray for me too

Me: *seeing red* What? you devil, i not pray for you, i pray for Allah

My Tutor : *shocked and scared* Sorry Sayid, i meant no offence, i didn't know you are not allowed to pray for non muslims

Me: *walked off the class, whilst murmuring* Shaydankii ku dhalay was - ma anigu haddeer ila yimid 'anigana i-caabud'

only when i got home and complained to my brother, did i understand that what he meant was 'i ducay' and not 'i caabud'.

There is difference between Salaad (prayer) as an act of worship and Duca (supplication, which is also refereed to as 'prayer' English) - in this case it looks to me as if though muslims were invited to offer Duca and not do salaad with the gaalo - but perhaps i am talking from experience.

NGONGE   

^^ Such meetings are usually understood in the way you describe, Sayid. Or else, the Muslims will insist on four rakcas, the Jews will bring out their Torah's and start swaying and the others will start crossing themselves like a footballer who scored the winning goal in the world cup final. :D

Dee naga daaya, this is a non story.

Cawaale   

Waxay u muuqata Sheekh Qardaawi in uu fududaaday(Markale) ilaahay kheer ha siiyee.

Daawo wareysiga Sheekh Axmed Taajir ee kulankii tuhunka dhaliyay.

I don't think a learned Imam would pray and nod to a christian tune, but what are the rulings of having joint prayer with those of other faiths?

Sayid, that's how I understood. And if there is nothing wrong with having a joint prayer(duco) with others faithfuls, then it's all good.

Ngonge - it seems the good sheikh from Qardho misunderstood - haven't you read this part and his direct translation:

"(Muti-faith prayer together) oo macnaheedu yahay diimaha kala duwan oo wada tukanya"

Geelle T - I am now Sheikh but i am Qardhaawi, and we have propensity to react strongly when we see something wrong, but we also equally prepared to accept our faults when they are pointed out :D

wadaadkan aad bu u fududyahay.

I listened to interview giving by a sheikh who attended. the only prayer involved was when they excused themselves and prayed maghrib and then re-joined the event.

these people did nothing wrong .. it was an event for the religous leaders of the community who inhabit the same nehigberhood and they were there to discuss issues that concerned them that had nothing to do with religion.

I watched the somtv interview .. eventhough the inrerviewer was a first class dayuus ... it becomes clear these people are being maligned