Sign in to follow this  
Urban

Student Loans.. (uk)

Blessed   

Urban,

Walaal, don't despair. Allah has told us the His Mercy prevails over His wrath. The doors of forgiveness are always open and when you really set to avoid something and do something for the sake of Allah. He will open doors open for you.

Look at your options and see if you can pay for the fees yourself. Also, speak to your universities accounts department. Some universities have a system where students can spread their tuition fees and pay monthly. Perhaps, work part-time and study part-time next year. It only means an extra semester and you'll have a head start in your career through the experience you gain from this.

I think, you should continue your studies as you already have debt and it would be easier for you to pay it all off - after you graduate. Insha Allah.

In addition to asking for Allahs forgiveness [though I fully agree with the Sheikhs fatwa on necessity making it permissible], try to also use the skills and the wealth you gain as a result of your studies for the purpose of da'wah and helping the needy. Make this one of the reasons of pursuing (if it already isn't) your education. And, hopefully this will redress the balance (scales ). I hope Allah makes it easier for you and helps you find a way. I know exactly what your going through. smile.gif

Nehanda

Generally leniences are practiced where there is a hardship, not wanting to paying someone elses mortgage maybe an inconvenience but it is not a hardship as you still have a roof over your head.

The good news is that interest free mortgages are not as elusive as they once were. There are a few banks offering it now, even in the west. smile.gif

p.s There's a useful discussion on the Islam section, check it out. http://www.somaliaonline.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/t opic/3/2905 I'A smile.gif

Urban   

Originally posted by *Blessed:

In addition to asking for Allahs forgiveness, try to also use the skills and the wealth you gain as a result of your studies for the purpose of da'wah and helping the needy. Make this one of the reasons of pursuing (if it already isn't)

It already is Blessed, thanks to Amr Khaled! I was leaning more towards the 'it's permissible' option cuz that's what I wanted to hear as G_J mentioned, but my conscience isn't accepting it. Inshallah if I pass my probation period in my part-time job, I'll drop the loan.

Just to make one thing clear, my tuition fees are already paid for by the govt, it's the expenses associated with living away from home that's worrying. Rent, bills, food and extortionate course materials alone add up to around £4000.

Thanks for everyone's advice, and please make dua's in these 10 days! (Aaliyah I'm looking at you..) smile.gif

Originally posted by Protocol:

I'm sure allah(swt) will be understanding. Intentions and doing good are more important than just 'staying away' from sin.

protocol....noone is denying Allah's mercy but the simple fact of the matter is dat the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) "cursed the one who consumes interest, the one giving it, the one bearing scroll, and the two witnesses to it". He said (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), "they are all equal." (as reported by muslim)..... ignorance isn't an excuse for taking loan...... even then the whole idea of reprentance is dat u stop what ur doing..... you dont even noe if Allah is gona forgive you for taking the riba in the first place (let alone if he is going to except your prayers).....staying away from sins is as equal as a persons intention....yes actions are deemed by ones intention.....but if intend to pray to allah through something else.....will Allah be understanding or will it take me out of the fold of islam......anywhooo riba is a MAJOR sin.....it up to you what action you take!!

repent and keep repenting until you pay off the money- cuz obviously you have too....or repent and keep taking the money whilst taking a biggggg gamble onur akirah......choose wisly....as one sister said it pretty 'easy' for some anyways to get through uni in the uk witout taking loans

^ All that being said, there doesn't seem to be xalaal alternatives for those are trying to avoid riba. I'm sure if there were alternatives, most people would stay away from loans.

And not everybody, in fact I would say the majority of students can get through uni without loans. Those are the hard facts, there maybe exceptions, but it's definitely not the rule. It's expensive and if you don't have rich parents to support you, you have to take loans unfortunately or else take a few years off and work full time and save. That option doesn't seem practical.

Of course we have to repent until we pay it off, but there really should be some kind of islamic loan system as an alternative.

Aaliyyah   

I think taking loans is alright, as long as you don't pay interest. There is always that 6 months after graduation that you have. Not to mention you can request interest relief up to 30 months.

And, theres that option of getting "hagbad" and paying you school fees. And, later paying back to somalis without any interest.

I never thought abt inflation though...I will have to talk to a scholar..

Urban inshallah I will pray for all of us, we are in great need of Allah's mercy.

p.s hagbad waxa weeyan dumar badan oo lacag iskusoo uruuriyey oo aad qadatid bil..bilaha kalena aad ayar lacagtii usoo celisid...somali ladies often do it at least those who trust each other..for example, say you took 5000 at once and you gonna like pay a 1000 back every month or whatever your group agrees on.

hagbad waa only for somali dumar, who else uses that. But it's actually not a bad option.

aaliyah

do you have a savings account? credit card?

What about saving, rrsp's, mortgages, all those have interest. The western world works on interest, it's very hard to avoid it.

Aaliyyah   

you can always get your mom to do it for you. I dont see anything wrong with taking that option.

I hear what you mean protocol, its indeed hard to avoid paying interest. But, it happens to be one of the highest sins in islam. Lets strive hard to avoid it.. For theres something better waiting for us in Akhira inshalah.

salaam

Protocal u seem to want to barriers in your way y mentally acepting that one cannot aviod riba in the western world.

Allah only burdens us with we can handle, so the fact that we find ourselves in a western word with all its challenges means Allah is merly testing us and we should rise above it.

So is easy to aviod riba and if it ultimately means that u will have to choose ur deen or ur study then am sure u will have to choose ur deen and work for a year or two.

P.S Ayuuto/Hagbad is no longer just for dumarka, nearlly every man i know is part of one and many a businessmen are in Ayuuto, admittely is the greatest system the Somalis invented it and non-somalis we usuallu pick up on it soon.

Ashkiro   

I agree with Protocol on this topic. Not to mention professional/grad school which is loads of money.

@but there really should be some kind of islamic loan system as an alternative.

Hmmm that's actually a good business plan. Great idea.

Urban your concerns are Masha'Allah may Allah pardon all of us and make it easy for us, Ameen to your prayers. Majority of Muslim students in higher education just see this as a fact of life so your not alone. But it wouldn't hurt to limit the loans you take to just paying off school fees alone. smile.gif Best wishes.