Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Bodies Exhibition

STOIC   

This past weekend I had the opportunity to see the most amazing thing in the whole universe. The amazing thing was the “Bodies exhibition†by a Chinese company. The exhibition was of a real human body. The bodies were preserved with acetone. I was able to see the world greatest exhibition of the human body from tissues to organs to a whole body system. I was able to see the four different primary tissues; from the muscles cells to the connective tissues. Have you ever seen a 6-week-old baby in a test tube? This is by far the best of human anatomy and physiology. I was amazed how Allah has built the human body. This is not the average Anatomy class visualization. This company will be in New York, London and Tampa . I would recommend each and every one of you to go and see it. And please take your kids with you, but make sure when you are explaining to them the anatomy of the reproduction part, you do it in a more biological terms (or more of a professional way) ;) .

Wonders of our Body

ElPunto   

You think it was worth it to display the dead like that(admittedly with their consent). I have a few qualms about shelling out for it to be quite honest.

STOIC   

It is an educational tool. Of course with the consent of the dead individuals it is a great and a neat idea. I have personally learned to witness and see the lungs of a smoker and a non-smoker. This kind of display are insightful and informant. We as a human being have to see things in order to believe. I don’t know if you are coming from a religious point of view or not. How many times do you get to see what is inside your body unless you are medical student? I think this display is a good chance for advancement and understanding of human body.

ElPunto   

^No, not coming from the religious point of view. Just coming from the practical side. Is this necessary or can we use models? I think we can use models - it strikes me as unnecessary and somewhat wasteful. Those same bodies could've been used for a better purpose.

STOIC   

I honestly disagree with you on that one, Point. Models are not as good as the real thing. You can use models to explain carbon-hydrogen bonds in organic molecules, but you cannot use it to explain basic structure and functional unit of lets say the nervous system. We can explain things theoretically, but experimental realization of it is always difficult. I am big believer in conservation. I agree with you that may be those bodies could be donated to some pathology lab, but this is a private company that has the right to do whatever it wants as long as they have the permission from the dead people. Now they are held to account on any unethical behavior. I think my egocentric ethics is telling me that we are all benefiting from these. I have an enormous respect for people that donate their bodies. They are individuals who are not selfish. They have the greatest good of the humanity in their hearts.

winnie   

i saw this on the news a while ago, it looks kinda cool in a disturbed and cryptic kind of way. it wont be in my city so i cant do much but i have a serious question from an islamic pov and i'm sure you can guess what it is, but i dont want to hijack your post, so i will omit it for now.

Mowgli   

There was a similar exhibition in London a few years ago called Body Worlds (in east london)...it was a travelling exhibition developed by a German scientist (von Hagens). The most vivid cadavers i remember were of the basketball man...and the pregnant woman, with the foetus still inside. The human body is truly amazing...