Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Saviour of Hip-Hop

Ibtisam   

^^^Common is old, I already told you to foget the artist who have alread emerged years ago. Common has been around for as long as I can remember.

me   

^Ok so how can lupe save hiphop....while cats like mos def, talib kweli, slum village, common are around?

I like lupe's music, but he shouldn't be too hyped up. He is just another rapper who dropped one good album and one medium album.

Mos def had his blackstar and his black on both sides, now look at what he did after that.

Ibtisam   

^^^You know I thought you was only like this in politics, but I can see even in a simple discussion you miss the point.

My point was: that his two albums and the one he will drop in the summer ishallah, are really good albums, we have not seen any NEW artist that emerged recently with this level of lyrical quality.

Mos def et al have done a lot of trash as well as good stuff, but it still remains old.

Now if you can prove me wrong by providing a NEW artist who matches the lyrical quality of this kid, dee please let me hear it, I need a new collection. Otherwise warrerka joji.

This kid is the saviour of hip hop from all the current trash that is piling up.

me   

50 cent is a pop-rapper. You can't say Ying yang twins and 50 cent represent hip hop.

Lupe is good compared to the likes of 50, but don't believe the hype. Lupe is not the best.

ps. Why do you need to collect new rappers.....check out the old skool, enough gems there. Go and start digging in the crates.

Ibtisam   

^^^So you agree, everything that's come out recently is trash...which was my point at the start.

I've recycled the old skool too often, I want something more recent and new and fresh. I know Lupe is not the all time best...but he does it for me right now, along with few others.

me   

^trash compared to what. its about the beat, the production, the lyrics, the moment, the mood.

Lupe is alright but he gets annoying after the 10th time. So his albums are not classics.

But some albums can be played over and over again.

For Lupe to be called the savior of hip hop...he needs to drop a classic...not just another ok album.

So yes we agree, he is an OK rapper.

Ibtisam   

Saviour= Redeemer, rescuer, reviver

We are not concerned the originated, or the best, or anything else.

This kid is reviver of the lyrical superiority that was associated with hip hop, he takes it back to what it was. He is a young lad who is different from what has become known as modern version. I don’t know how you fail to notice the demise of hip hop/ rap. Look at what it has become and compare it what it use to be.

He is simple reviving the old skool original hip hop, he may not necessarily be better than some, but he is better than what is around.

me   

Aaaahhh reviver...and not saviour :D

We are getting there, slowly but surely. So how can he revive when hip hop has never died?

I think you want to say that Lupe is the newest hype. Also how do you place other more lyrically able rappers? What are they...are they redeemers? Saviors? Revivers? What gives Lupe the title savior of hip hop and not Talib kweli?

Ibtisam   

^^^You are one crazy hard headed farah :D niiyo would' argue with a rock. I refuse to waste my time with you.

Baal waayeh, you are right, just stop wasting my time yaa waalad. :rolleyes:

Cara.   

Ibti, I have to admit I agree with me here (hehe).

Hiphop didn't "die", it just became mainstream. When something reaches that level of popularity, quality goes down the drain. Rappers like 50 or Jay-Z are only selling to the lowest common denominator, which is essentially teenagers with little sense and plenty of disposable income.

But underground hiphop is incredible, and that's where the quality stuff will always be. You can't throw a CD in Chicago or Seattle or Atlanta without hitting an artist with the same talent and promise as Lupe Fiasco.

The question is, can underground hip-hop become mainstream? Should it? Remember, when Common released "Be", his longtime fans accused him of selling out.

Ibtisam   

^^^I won't go as far as that.

Cara:

You agree with me, unknowingly. :D Underground hiphop is alive and kicking, they just don't get the light of day because the mainstream is dominated by trash. Lipe Fiasco has managed to get to mainstream without diluting or dumping down- that is all.

I really wish underground hiphop would become mainstream while maintaining what makes it different, original and underground. Obviously the likelihood of that happening is small. Artist often have to mellow out to become mainstream and make money.

Lupe Fiasco---he's muslim, talented, & I'm a fan.

However, ladies & gentlemen, I would say watch out for rising MUSLIM hiphop talents. For starters, check out:

http://www.myspace.com/muslimsinhiphop

(check their forum for updates, their friendlist is too long to go through)

http://www.myspace.com/remarkablecurrentrecords

http://www.myspace.com/amirsulaiman

http://www.myspace.com/abdulazizplease

*to name a few of my favourites.