Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Ink in His Veins and Somalia in His Heart

Kashafa   

Xiin,

What you're saying is all good in theory. But will it fly in practical terms ? It goes without saying that we are actually conversing in English, not Somali, not Arabic. In English, the term extremist = authentic muslim, in Arabic.

Example: My cousin applied for this job and the dude interviewing him asked him, conversationally: You're not one of them serious Muslims(ie, extremist) are you ? Cousin asked what he meant, Dude says: Like you don't fast or pray five times and do all that extremist stuff, :D

Of course, Cousin goes on to give macalinka a lecture about what Islam and Muslim means.

I just don't think it's pragmatic. By the way, when you use the word 'moderate', you're opening up a unneccasery door for debate: Moderate, relative to whom ??. So, I just use Muslim. Period. Or Islamist to describe my political outlook.

Whussup Ngonge dawg :D A bit short on time here but lemme say this.

If you think that your academic detachment about the crucial situation in Somalia passes for wisdom or anything else, you're mucho deluded. Stoicism, adeerow, does not equal masculinity. Nor does principled passion(your dig at me) equal hot air. Well-equipped with an foriegn passport, well-established(or so you think) in the Diaspora, anything happening back in the homeland to you is simply an academic exercise in futility. Something to entertain you while you pen one of your 'Somalis-are-so-illiogical' diatribes.

See what I did up there ^^. That's called a false assumption. You could very well be engaged and helpin' out back home. Even tho I don't know you, I went ahead and labelled you. Not cool. Take your false flagrant charges against young men back and I'll retract my speculation smile.gif

Nice n' easy now.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

CG

There are weak Muslims. There are
ghulats
(extremists). But there are also moderates. A wine-drinking Muslim is a weak Muslim, and not a moderate.

Ideally, we should all strive to be in moderate category.

Taliban, seems to think weak Muslims are moderates.

Adeer - I think you have strayed off the path on this one. :D By definition - this umma is to take the middle road - so I object to the use of the term 'moderate' - as if this religion is inherently extreme and we must moderate it(ie. a Muslim = psycho and 'moderate' Muslim = someone we can get along with). By definition - we're supposed to be moderate - Muslims have been specifically warned against extremism. Also this label reeks of what a Muslim is supposed to 'conform' to as dictated by non-Muslims especially those in the West. I really dislike this term.

As to the other end of the spectrum - a wine-drinker is a non-practising Muslim. Strictly speaking - he is out of the fold of Islam given the severity of this sin but if we take 'Muslim' as implying an amorphous general identity - then this person is non-practising.

Thus, from my perspective one can be:

(Practicing) Muslim

Extremist Muslim

Non-practicing Muslim

Jacpher   

Khat chewing

tobacco smoking

wine drinking

sbaaro-profeteering

war-lord supporting

hijab bashing

With

Amxaaro kissing

You've got Soomaalinimo, midnimo, dadnimo, sharafnimo, gobanimo and all the nimo of TFG out there.