Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Deadly earthquake hits South Asia

Subxaan Allah! May Allah rest their souls in peace.

------------------

_40887996_pakistan_quake6_map416.gif

Hundreds die in South Asia quake

Pakistan says more than 1,000 people may have died in a powerful quake that also hit north India and Afghanistan.

The 7.6-magnitude quake with the epicentre 80km (50 miles) north-east of Islamabad wiped out several villages.

At least 500 died in North-West Frontier province in Pakistan. More than 450 died on both sides of the disputed territory of Kashmir.

In Islamabad, people rushed to dig with bare hands to rescue those trapped when a tall residential building collapsed.

Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, who was visiting the site, said the quake was a "test of the nation".

Shortly after he spoke an aftershock struck Islamabad, forcing people from their homes.

The first tremor, which was registered at 0350 GMT, was felt by residents as far away as the Afghan capital, Kabul, and India's capital, Delhi.

Severed legs

Maj Gen Shaukat Sultan, President's Musharraf's spokesman, said: "Casualties will be high... they could be well over 1,000.

Interior Minister Aftab Sherpao told local television: "We have reports that several entire villages have been wiped out."

The head of police in the North West Frontier Province told AFP news agency "between 550 and 600" people had died and the figure was likely to rise.

In Pakistani-controlled Kashmir 250 bodies have been recovered of more than 2,000 feared dead, an official told the BBC from the provincial capital, Muzaffarabad.

"All official buildings have collapsed," he said.

Part of the Margalla Towers residential complex collapsed in Islamabad.

One rescuer, Rehmatullah, said: "I rushed down and for some time you could not see anything because of the dust... We pulled out one man by cutting off his legs."

Karam Usmani, a 28-year-old sub-inspector with Islamabad police told the BBC: "I heard the cries of the people in the debris and with my bare hand I started to dig and I pulled out one dead body.

"But I managed to rescue another man of 35 and carried him on my shoulders to the ambulance."

In Indian-administered Kashmir, 200 are confirmed dead - including 15 soldiers - and 600 injured.

The town of Uri close to the Line of Control that separates divided Kashmir was worst hit, with 104 dead.

The administration is working overtime to restore essential supplies like electricity and water disrupted by the earthquake, says the BBC's Altaf Hussain in Srinagar.

Aid talks

Ben Phillips of Oxfam told the BBC a meeting of relief organisations was under way and is liaising with the UN and the Pakistani government on supplying aid.

Mr Phillips said the initial requirement would be for tents, blankets, food aid and medical supplies.

Source

1.jpg

5.jpg7.jpg

4.jpg

Thats just in the city. Emergency services have not reached the interior regions yet.

It happened in the early hours of the morning...when most ppl were sleep or just starting schools/work. :( . SubxanaAllah.

Ilaahay ha u naxariisto intii dhimatay, intii noolna ha u roonaado.

This is so tragic. Nomads, Please pray for the ppl affected by this tragedy. Offer zakat this Ramadan for these Muslims.

Muhammad   

for the kind Brothers and Sisters who want to donate online please go here:

http://www.islamic-relief.com/

» make sure you send it to Kashmir Emergency

I've just made a donation, it is very simple and secure!

May Allah(swt) shower you with his Raxmah and open the gates of Jannah to you! amiin

Intel   

over 18,000 people have been killed in Pakistan alone so far and reports of casualties in towns and villages across northern Pakistan, India and southern Afghanistan.

natural disasters appear to be on the raise lately. according to the 2004 World Disasters report, natural disasters have risen by about 65% over the last decade.

May Allah help us all

Haneefah   

Ina Lilaah Wa inaa Ileyhi Raajicuun :eek:

I'm beginning to think yoomul qiyaama is closer than ever subhanallah. Ya Allah have mercy on those innocent souls and aid those who have been impacted by this calamity.

N.O.R.F   

Thanks for the link mohammed, just donated

"your generosity will help transform the lives of some of the poorest people in the world"

Jumatatu   

Ina Lilaah Wa inaa Ileyhi Raajicuun

Allah uu naxaaristo those who have lost their lives and those affected by the tragedy...amiin..!