Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Rageh Omar: The Massai Community

STOIC   

This is a story of a Massai Community. I have had the pleasure to live among the Massai in Kajiado.A great number of my family live among this peaceful people. I am mightily impressed with the young woman featured in this documentary. She seems to be determined to make a difference in her community. Although generalization is risky, in the Massai communities Women are still subordinate to men. Women are often married off to older men. This is a community that lives in small rural villages. Their identity is established through their nomadic lifestyle. Enjoy the documentary by Rageh Omar’s Program in Al-Jazeera.

Thank you for sharing that. I enjoyed watching it. I loved it when her mother said that we don't have a spear and a sheild for you, but we have given you a pen and a paper. Masha'allah the importance of education.

Xudeedi   

Thanks. from the documentary, there is a lot of tenacious resistance towards change and its effect on the natural progress of the people. The grand mother cries with pain to see her grand daughter leave the community. Not that it is repulsive to fail to preserve one's culture but the grandmother takes pride in her culture and fears bad omen for her grand daughter.

Awlugeeye,

Thanks a million walaal for sharing this great documentary! I have always enjoyed watching Rageh Omar and this was certainly a great piece.

If all africans think like the little Massai girl and go back home after their studies or even give back to their land in other ways, I can only imagine the results!

BOB   

I once attended a dinner at his home and I was impressed with him and his undying love for Somali people and I was also amazed at how down to earth he was...Somalis tend to get big-headed when they see their faces on the small screen couple of times but Raage is completely the opposite and in case if you ever pump into him don't be afraid to approach him...

I don't watch that much News especially News about Somalia & Iraq (I hate watching innocent people suffering) but still I'm a big fan of his and i never miss "Witness" on Al-Jazeera.

He's one of the few genuine role models we have and he knows this which is even more impressive.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE   

^^^ The last time I 'pumped' into him he avoided my gaze and hurriedly walked off. I think he thought I'd embarrass him with a request for an autograph or something. :D