Sign in to follow this  
Somalicentric.

Great books suggestions?!

If you;re into science fiction, i'd suggest the andromeda strain, timeline etc by michael crichton. I'm gonna pick up his final book, 'next', soon.

Other authors I suggest: Walter mosely, isaac asimov, Elmore leonard.

Originally posted by Indhoos:

I Have discovered him recently, but read most of his books.
The Sands of Time
was a very good one, I remember, I read that one in 24 hours. So was
Doomsday Conspiracy
. Those two are my most faves so far. I have few more to read.

You won't be disappointed reading in all of his books. Easy to read, too.

And waxaa kaaga sii daran, he never "wrote" his books. He dictated orally to a secretary, then print it out. He once said he would edit and re-edit and re-edit hundreds of times. His poor secretary. My first was If Tomorrow Comes, discovering si kadis ah at my sister's bookshelf.

Many of them I had read twice or thrice, however want to re-read Sands of Time once more.

Kool_Kat   

For the past god knows how many years, only John Sanford leeba iga dago...I am currently reading Mortal Prey, buuga waan dhexgalay...Lucas Davenport is just one of his best creations, ninka inuu run yahay aanba uheystaa...If it ain't a thriller it ain't my flava...

Indhoos   

Right now I am reading The Stars Shine Down and then I have Bloodline next...I am not too crazy about The Stars Shine Down, may be the ending will change my mind.

I also enjoy reading Iris Johansen, although the books get kind of predictable.

Has anyone read a book called Future Jihad? I don't remember the author, but am interested in it although not sure yet.

For Science Fiction, my favs are Steven Erikson, Ursula Guerin and Gene Wolfe (damn his books are hard to understand - talk abouit english literacy at its best)

I have been reading a book about EHMs fantastic book!

Cheers

Currently I've finished reading Animals people an enlightening very humorous totally without self pitty book written by Animal a young man who lives in the city of Khaufpur situated India. Any way this city becomes poisoned by an industrial foreign owned factory. One fatal night there’s a spillage of chemically harmful substances which pollute to the air, land, water and finally the people. Hundreds die perhaps thousands and they still continue to die. The “KAMPANI” as Animal calls them then high tails it out of there without cleaning up the chemical waste and refuse to offer all the people affected by the poison fumes and those born with deformity as a result of it with compensation. Thus the story involving Animal a young boy whose spines has become bent due to the poisons and who walks on all fours as a result. He has no family, no mother other than this insane old French nun who has known him his he was a child. The story is basically told by Animal in his own candid, often funny as hell, beautiful and very often sad and self way. This is a boy full of anger, hatred and yet is more human than those who treat him with contempt. But do not be fooled-there’s no teary-eyed self-indulgent self-pity in this book. Infact Animal tells his story about this “AMRIKAN” woman comes to the city to set up a clinic to help the people-but there are those who are weary of her true reasons for being there. Mixed in with all of this are the politican struggles the poor people of khaufpur are under, they have been trying to take the company to court for years for the crimes they’d done to these people but its been a hard long journey and animal tells it with such unasbashed self-fish amusment. The boy is bad tempered, crude, horny and selfish enough to poison his love rival into becoming asexual LOL. Theres no arty-farty use of language here, it’s a simple tale where animal is telling his story to a tape recorder which is then translated for us exactly. Great book indeed, definitely worth the read.

51KgRC7QudL._SS500_.jpg

I’ve now moved on reading The Robe.

Which about a Roman soldier, Marcellus, who wins Christ's robe as a gambling prize. He then sets forth on a quest to find the truth about the Nazarene's robe-a quest that reaches to the very roots and heart of Christianity and is set against the vividly limned background of ancient Rome. Here is a timeless story of adventure, faith, and romance, a tale of spiritual longing and ultimate redemption. (Or so Amazon tells me, still looked interesting when I read the back- and so far its really quite entertaining-makes you think a lot about yourself and how far you’d go in the search for the truth.

n231053.jpg

Other books I’ve read this year have also been A brief history of time by Stephen Hawkings-truly so very enjoyable, thought provoking and quite fascinating as well. It will leave you with more philosophical questions than answers but it’s definitely a must read book for any amateur would-be astronomers or interested in space buffs. It’s an old book and the new editions have beautiful –hubble telescope inspired illustrations to go with it. If you love greek mythology than you’ll love space because all the planets and moons of our planets and other nebulas have the names of either greek/roman gods and goddess, or lovers muses etc. You’ll find it easier to recall for example the names of all of Jupiter’s four largest moons. Ie the four wives/lovers or b@stard offspring of Zeus.

I also read the strange marriage of Annabella Milbanke and Lord Byron-the book as the title suggests is about the famous English poet lord byron and his peculiar marriage with one of the most mathetically gifted woman in British history (her daughter actually proved to be better-historically speaking)-how her innocence and his depraved yet weird ways of exhibiting his idea of love and his constant need to be free finally wore on poor Anabella. Naturally the poor dear’s notion of turning a “bad” boy (lord club-footed byron) good- failed quite wonderfully. These two people were eccentric and the book includes actual private diaries and correspondence that the two sent to eachother during their acquaintance and later during their marriage. Again a fascinating insight into the world of the rich, pampered and utterly depraved. Not to mention arguably one of the greatest British poets ever (though he stole his material from charmed eastern-fishermen and simple folk)

STOIC   

I'm ignorant...I don't READ books with big printed titles! Matter fact right now I'm allergic to any book.Just want my Summer!

Chimera   

I ordered The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran and began reading it today. I'm at page 70 and so far it's a cute and beautiful story about the life of Princess Nefertari, whose entire family(18th dynasty) died in a terrible palace inferno making her the sole survivor of the previous line of Kings and Queens in the new court of the 19th Dynasty Pharoahs. She has many enemies that do not want her to rise as Queen and wife of Rameses(childhood friend), but also several allies.

Salma   

SomaliCentric: Does that mean you have enjoyed "The Kite Runner"??... I see that you are using Hassan's famous sentence with Amir in your singature :D

I am reading for a book which contains a collection of short stories of Isaac Asimov, I didn't know he is so interesting author. I was trying all these years to stay away from Science Fiction stories, but it seems that I was wrong with the existence of Asimov's stories.

Chocolate & Honey: You gotta try "Perfect Match" for Jodi Picolot as well, it's amazing..I don't know why all her stories about children abuse, and family domestic troubles, but she is good.

MZanzi   

The_game.jpg

"the Game"

I guess I should explain why out of all the great books that are out there I got a book on pimps. I’ve had this strange obsession with “The Game” for years and have never taken the time to do any research. I don’t really have a desire to be a pimp in the horrid sexually sense of the word. But oddly, the books and movies (“American Pimp” by The Hughes Brothers) actually teach good life lessons. Like how to get what you want. It’s like Dale Carnegie’s book “How to Win Friends and Influence People” but in a really sick and twisted way. Which is why I’m drawn to it. There is defiantly an art to manipulation. And not all of it is bad and evil. But most tends to lean that way.