Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Identity and Violence: The Violence of Illusion

Ashkiro   

An interesting book i've been reading, see the title of this thread, by Amartya Sen.

Although i am not done with the book as of yet, to give a through review, here's an excerpt of the book that deals with the dangers of what the author calls, "singular affiliation". as you read this excerpt keep in mind the situation in Somalia and the mentality of this community (ie the usage of clan identity):

"To be sure, the assumption of singularity is not only the staple nourishment of many theories of identity, it is also, as I discussed in the first chapter, a frequently used weapon of sectarian activities, who want the targeted people to ignore altogether all other linkages that could moderate their loyalty to the specially marked herd. The incitement to ignore all affiliation and loyalties other than those emanating from one restrictive identity can be deeply delusive and also contribute to social tension and violence.”

It's a fascinating book, in which I recommend you all should read, if haven't already, here's a lecture by Amartya Sen (i haven't listened to all) on the subject:

Share your thoughts if you have any.

"The incitement to ignore all affiliation and loyalties other than those emanating from one restrictive identity can be deeply delusive and also contribute to social tension and violence.”

True, but it is not an exception to Somalis alone or as they call us tribalists. It is applicable to any racist society/persons. What do you think of the segregrated communities in America or the how the system implictly supports such practice of restrictive identity. What makes one community more dangerous than the other? Who created this perception or perpetuates it?

Ashkiro   

Koora,

You are right Somalis are not the exception, matter-fact the book is focused on the west and how it identifies the Islamic world. The Somali connection was made from my part, due to the fact that this medium is a majority Somali space. Those are great questions, and I am afraid i don't have the exact answers. The message of author of this book, a rather an important message says as human-beings we have many affiliations and identities, and we should as people view ourselves in these many identities and not just restrict our affiliation to one restrictive identity. In result we will create human solidarity and minimize social tension/violence.

money   

damn i am trying to find lowest gas prices in the twin cities now and you bring mr Amartya sen into the equation! you are making it harder for ...

I feel like I am back in school now by just hearing Amartya Sen... he bugged us in geopolitics and political economy classes..not him as person but his books that we had to read. you learn and your whole mindset is enriched by his theories and thesis. Good recommendation..will order the book from amazon now. Thanx Maryan though it is gonna be tough to keep up with such deep stuff in these tough times...