Sign in to follow this  
Wiilo

A Shocking Article About Somalia/Somalis

Wiilo   

As I was searching maps of Somalia I came across this article which shocked me bal ila eega.

Somali People Need the Unity and Peace of Christ

People Profile

a Bethany World Prayer Center Prayer Profile

Ten million Somali live scattered across eight countries in the north-eastern portion of Africa, commonly called the "Horn of Africa," and in the Middle East. Many of the Somali are refugees. Nearly five million live in the Republic of Somalia. They are one of the most homogenous people groups in Africa, speaking a common language, adhering to a single faith, and sharing a cultural heritage.

The Somali first appeared in Africa around 1200 A.D., and began expanding westward and southward about 150 years later. They converted to Islam around 1550, under the influence of Arab traders who had settled along the coast of present-day Somalia.

Somalia has a tropical climate that varies little throughout the year. With an average rainfall of less than 11 inches, droughts are common. In the 1970s and 1980s, droughts in the northern region forced the Somali nomads to migrate farther south.

The name, Somali, is derived from the words, "so maal," which literally mean, "Go milk an animal for yourself!" To the Somali, this is actually a rough expression of hospitality. Their society is based on the nuclear family, which consists of a husband, wife, and children. The man is the head of his household. A typical family owns a herd of sheep or goats and a few burden camels. Some may also own a herd of breeding and milking camels. The more camels a man has, the greater his prestige. In the wetter regions, cattle are also raised.

The Somali consider themselves warriors. The men often leave the women in charge of the herds, so that they might train to become more effective fighters. They are a very individualistic people, sharply divided by clans. Fights often occur between the clans, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths.

There are four major Somali clan groups. The two largest are the Somaal and the Sab. The Somaal are primarily nomadic shepherds. The Sab usually settle in communities and live as farmers or craftsmen. The nomads live in portable huts made of wooden branches covered with skins and grass mats. They are easily collapsible so that they can be loaded on pack animals and moved along with the herds. The farmers live in permanent, round huts that are six to nine feet high. Their diet includes milk, camel and goat meat, rice, and other grains. Tea is also a favorite drink.

Having an abundant supply of food is a status symbol among the clans. Each family periodically holds banquets for their relatives and friends. A family's prestige is determined by the frequency of its feasts, the number of people invited, and the quality and quantity of food served.

Typically, the Somali wear brightly colored cloths draped over their bodies like togas. The men may also wear a kilt-like garment. In the cities and towns, some wear Western style clothing.

The Somali are Muslims. Sufism, a mystic branch of Islam, is important for many. Sufis often achieve "ecstasy" by chanting or taking narcotics. The standard Islamic prayers are usually observed; however, Somali women have never worn the required veils.

Villagers and urban settlers frequently turn to the wadaad, a religious expert, for blessings, charms, and advice in worldly matters. They believe that many spirits live in the world, and that evil spirits bring sickness by possessing their victims. Some cults have formed in an attempt to appease the evil spirits.

Less than twenty percent of Somalian children attend school, and only sixty percent of the adults are illiterate. This is not surprising since they did not have a written script until 1972. Although the Bible is available in Somali language, few can read it.

Eleven missions agencies are currently targeting this people group; however, there are still less than 3,000 known believers among them. Perhaps Christian teachers will be the key to reaching Somalia with the Gospel. Prayer Points:

Ask the Lord to raise up Christian teachers who will work among the Somali and share Christ's love with them.

Pray that God will raise up prayer teams to go and break up the soil through worship and intercession.

Ask God to grant favor and wisdom to the missions agencies that are targeting the Somali.

Pray for effectiveness of the Jesus film among them.

Ask God to anoint the Gospel as it goes forth via radio and television to the Somali.

Pray that God will reveal Himself to them through dreams and visions.

Ask the Holy Spirit to soften their hearts towards Christians so that they will be receptive to the Gospel.

Ask the Lord to raise up strong local churches among the Somali.

Here is the web site,u can see and read it,,

http://www.oprev.org/JulAug00.htm

J.Lee   

The Somali are Muslims. Sufism, a mystic branch of Islam, is important for many. Sufis often achieve "ecstasy" by chanting or taking narcotics. The standard Islamic prayers are usually observed;
however, Somali women have never worn the required veils.

Villagers and urban settlers frequently turn to the wadaad, a religious expert, for blessings, charms, and advice in worldly matters. They believe that many spirits live in the world, and that evil spirits bring sickness by possessing their victims.
Some cults have formed in an attempt to appease the evil spirits

LoL

War balaaayo!

That was the most hilarious thing I've ever read.

Acuudi bilaahi mina shaydaani rajiim, May allah help us and safe us from their machinations.

Sky   

who can blame them. looking at somalia, how can you be surprised if a christian thinks that they need jesus to get us our of the mess we brought ourself in to. looking at the cannibalistic and homosexual elements (older men have sex with younger boys before the younger boys are allowed to marry a woman) in the Papua culture, many times I said that they need Islam very badly.

they better not dare try to convert us to their faith, they will have another thing coming to them if they do. then the joke is on them.

Wiilo   

I kind of agree with you yeah who can blame them if they (Christians) think they can help us (Somalis)with their preaching of christianity and jesus and who can be surprised about this. My Q's are though what are we (Somalis) thinking and who are we waiting for to clean up our messes? Or this is how we want/prefer to be? I really don't know but I pray that Allaah the Almighty ease our problems, BLESS us (Somalis) and guide us in the right way/path.

Wabillaah:...............

This is nice topic to discuss with eventhough there is nothing we can do at da moment ,,,, we killed ourselves using our ownd hands and blaming the other's wishes and targets.

Whatever happens we are responsible as our society is a victim of everyone/everything ,,,,, who guides them and provide them what they need ????

ILaahay ha ina cafiyo

Emperor   

The article is somehow funny! but it contains a lot of truth in it. This white dude must have observed the Somalis carefully.

Msword,

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Somali are Muslims. Sufism, a mystic branch of Islam, is important for many. Sufis often achieve "ecstasy" by chanting or taking narcotics. The standard Islamic prayers are usually observed; however, Somali women have never worn the required veils.

Villagers and urban settlers frequently turn to the wadaad, a religious expert, for blessings, charms, and advice in worldly matters. They believe that many spirits live in the world, and that evil spirits bring sickness by possessing their victims. Some cults have formed in an attempt to appease the evil spirits .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LoL

War balaaayo!

That was the most hilarious thing I've ever read.

Acuudi bilaahi mina shaydaani rajiim, May allah help us and safe us from their machinations.

This is true sis, it use to happen but i don't if this kinda thing still continues, I bet u never hear of "Ruuxaamo" or "Mingis la iska tumaayo" lol. Our neighbor back home, a lady use to have this thing - she sometime use to scream like hell in the middle of night - I was too young to understand what the hell was that, still I don't.

Anyone who heard knows or even have had ruuxamo mingis spirits contribuite please, tell us more if u understand it how does shaydaamo work on your heard, Acuudu bilaahi I can't figure it.

The sufis ecstasy and the use of narcotics is true, I think still it does happen.

Waa buubaa aa lagu leeyahay iyo Xajkaan kusoo tukaday :D:D

Yaab!

Abwaan   

Eleven missions agencies are currently targeting this people group.

Shocking!!! And with the help of sick Warlords they give the Somali Culumo such names as Fundamentalists and terrorists in order to divert attention.

Thanks for sharing this with us Wiilo.

Wiilo   

Y'all welcome,,,

it shocked me as it shocked you all but what is most shocking is that this sentence

Eleven missions agencies are currently targeting this people group.

I'm wondering though it says "currently" as an right now? they have agencies working in Somalia trying to convert dadka maatada ah ee haddii aad tiraahdo Lacag aan ku siinaa wax walba samaynaayaan :confused: just wondering :confused:

Allaah ha inaga Qabto Gaalada.......

Sky   

wiilo this is very shocking for me to sis. but i can't imagine any somali no matter how dumb to fall in their trap. i know there are some somali oo gaal noqdeen, but always when they are safe and sound with the gaalo. not in somalia itself.

so we cool, it's the somalis in the foreign countries that we need to worry about, if we talking about diiniyen.