Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Row erupts over Al Azhar honour to Charles

N.O.R.F   

Row erupts over Al Azhar honour to Charles

Honorary degree to be awarded to prince for his conciliatory stance during cartoon controversy

Cairo (AFP)

Prince Charles flies into Egypt facing controversy at Cairo’s most renowned Islamic institution over the awarding of an honorary degree to the heir of the British throne.

Al Azhar University, one of the top institutions in Sunni Islam, is to give Charles an honorary doctorate when he arrives with his wife Camilla at the start of an official tour also taking in Saudi Arabia and India.

But the move to reward Charles for his conciliatory stance during the recent controversy over cartoons satirising the prophet (scws) has divided directors at Al Azhar, some of whom feel he doesn’t deserve the honour.

“All that Prince Charles did was to say that Islam is the most widespread religion in the world and that’s reality, not a discovery made by the Prince†Al Azhar lecturer in Arab Literature Abdul Azim Al Mataani said. : This is not enough for him to receive such an award from the prestigious Al Azhar University†he said.

But another university director Abdul Sabur Shabin, said Prince Charles had adopted “positions close to Islam and Muslims, something no one else of his importance has doneâ€.

--------------------------------------------------

Read it in the Gulf News and re-typed it, cant find it on it's webpage or AFP's.

ElPunto   

lol - he definitely has been sympathetic to Muslims/Islam. But I don't know of any particular reason to give him that honour now. And it strikes me as rather strange that a renowned Muslim university would so honour a confirmed multiple adulterer, liar and snob. I thought character mattered in our religion. But then again - we seem to have been going downhill for centuries.

Castro   

^ With this, we've hit bottom atheer so rejoice. No more downhill slide.

Prince Charles? The would be king of the British empire? Would this be an honorary doctorate in Islamic law? Fiqh? Which is it?

If they do go ahead and do this, I believe George W. Bush deserves one as well. His tireless work to bring democracy to freedom-starved peoples of the world is on record. He is a man of his word (misspelled as it is :D ) and he certainly possesses the qualities a leader of a nation should possess.

Let's see what the great people of Egypt have to say about this.

N.O.R.F   

^^I think its a major'mis-judgement' by Al Azhar. Prince Charles is a supporter or faith schools and has helped community activities involving muslims not to mention aiding the broader discussion between all faiths in the UK. All well and good but an honourary degree from Al Azhar??? I suppose it may make a few people visit their website, and who knows, maybe a few re-verts are just a click away.

Al Azhar

So what if he get an hounoury degree .... is it any different from the many muslim scholors who have Doctorine degree from Oxbridge universities.

And how about all of us ordinary beings ... well studying towards degreees from western university ...

Al Azhar has lost its Islamic relevence long ago ... and is just another university that has amongst its curriluim a large Islamic studies faculty.