Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Tarawiix Prayer

11....21...What's the difference (yeah, yeah other than the numbers)? Why can't it just be 11?

I went to a masjid where they prayed 21 rakahs and pple left halfway through.

Embarassed to see old ladies praying comfortably and I'm figeting because my feet hurt so bad.

Som@li   

11 or 23, pray which ever suits your time and energy,makes you feel confortable, Our Deen is not difficult.

[ September 19, 2007, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Dabshid ]

Blessed   

11 is the strongest opinion but do note that 11 might be less in rak'as but not in how long you stand for prayer. You'd still need to go through the whole Quraan in 1 month. smile.gif

Anyway, it is recommended that you finish the prayer with the imaam and not walk away half way through like some people do. So if the imam prays 21, you do 21 rakaats because The Prophet (saw) commanded us to follow the imam and there's strong evidence for this command whereas the number of rakats for tarawih is under debate. (I make sense? :confused: )

Wallahu Yacalam.

My Local Imam said that,a famous scholar in Masr,said that if we are having arguments about the numbers,then we should stop praying at all.

Because,if it is jeapardizing the unity of Muslims,then he says we should not dwell on a Sunnah prayer. Ever Growing up,it has been 11.

^Yeah, same here.

At the end of the day...I know its sunnah...and the fard prayers have more importance.

I just was curious why the rakah's weren't agreed upon. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Z: I know its the same length of time...but people DO think that it's much longer because its double the rakahs. It just weirded me out that halfway through like half of the pple would disappear.

Aaliyyah   

I thought the debate was between 8 and 20 rak'as.

Anyhow, the more you pray, the more ajar you get after all it is optional to pray tarawiih.

It just weirded me out that halfway through like half of the pple would disappear.

Tell me about it. Whenever I attend tarawiix, we always end up coming the last minute before it starts(it just worked out that way), hence we can't find space to pray, and a lil while after, I find pple disappearing bit by bit and all those nice spots that were occupied earlier are all of a sudden free and I can't take advantage of it

If pple know they can't stay for the entire service, just find a spot near the exit door, don't go to the front or the sides and later have to walk passed me just to go out, its just not nice.

Another thing is, why are little young girls and children outside making noise, why aren't they in bed, its not as thought they are there to pray. These moms need to leave their children at home.Too much noise for my liking, for heaven's sake its a masjid not a daycare or social event.(abtw, its always the arabs who bring their children)

Khalaf   

You would be correct Aaliya, 20 rakats plus 3 witr, or 8 rakas plus 3 witr, the latter comes from the Hadith narrated by Aisha ra. As for disaggrements between the scholars on this wa caadi. For example there was an army the Prophet scw sent to a city, and he scw told them to pray asr when they reach their destination. However the time of asr reached before they reached their destination, and because of this the group split into two: Those who said the prophet scw meant to pray asr only when you reach the destination, and those who said the prophet scw meant to reach the destination by asr but if not then pray asr at its time. So they split on this issue as they understood it, half of the army proceeded and prayed asr at the destination, the other half prayed at the spot. And when the prophet scw was told of this, he said neither is wrong, since both intentions was to please Allah and His Messenger scw. Same what ever the particular community/masjid decides 8 or 20 is fine, although 11 is stronger opinion and easier, but both are to Glorify the Praises of Allah Most Great. As for why exact those numbers, Allah knows best but that’s nabi scw Sunnah. And Allah Knows Best.

Som@li   

According to the consensus of Muslim scholars, Tarawih is not considered mandatory on either men or women. Rather, it is only considered a recommended act. There is no evidence in the sources to make it obligatory. As far as I know, no jurist or imam has expressed such an opinion.

Tarawih can be performed individually at home or at the mosque. If for some reason you cannot go to the mosque, you can pray Tarawih at home.

We know from the traditions that the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and other companions often used to pray Tarawih at home. Some of them even opened the Qur'an and read from it while performing Tarawih.

Based on the above, if you are not able to go to the mosque, you would not be deprived of the reward or blessings if you were to perform it at home.

Moreover, the prominent Muslim scholar Dr. Muhammad Abu Laylah, professor of the Islamic Studies & Comparative Religions at Al-Azhar Univ., adds:

Tarawih prayer is a Sunnah and to do it in a Mosque is also a Sunnah.

Women and even children should attend it at the Mosque because it displays the unity among Muslims and cements their relationships.

Remember that we should honor the month of Ramadan to the utmost of our ability because in this month the Qur'an which is our light, guide, and legal and spiritual force was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

Tarawih

'A'isha reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) prayed one night in the mosque and people also prayed along with him. He then prayed on the following night and there were many persons. Then on the third or fourth night (many people) gathered there, but the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) did not come out to them (for leading the Tarawih prayer). When it was morning he said: I saw what you were doing, but I desisted to come to you (and lead the prayer) for I feared that this prayer might become obligatory for you. (He the narrator) said: It was the month of Ramadan.

Book of prayers Sahih Muslim Volume 4

Abd al-Rahmai bin Abd al-Qari (Radhy Allahu Anhu) reported. I went with Umar bin al-Khattab (Radhy Allahu Anhu) to the mosque in Ramadan and saw people saying the tarawih prayer in different groups. Someone was saying it alone and with another was a group of eight to to ten men. Umar (Radhy Allahu Anhu) said: "By Lord, I feel that if I could put them all behind one qari it would be well." He then grouped them all behind Ubayy bin Ka'b (Radhy Allahu Anhu). Abd al Rahman said: When I went with him the next night, I saw that all the people were saying their prayer behind Ubayy bin Ka'b (Radhy Allahu Anhu)- Umar (Radhy Allahu Anhu) said: This is a good innovation. The time of sleep - the later part of the night - is better than when you say your prayer in the earlier part of the night, and people used to gather in the earlier part of the night. (Malik)

Is it better to follow the Prophet(may be peace upon him) or Umar? I heard that Abu Bakr and Ali never prayed tarawih in congregation and I was wondering if the 4 khulufa Rashidiin didn't agree with each other on this prayer shoundn't be following the Prophet(may be peace upon him) and pray at home? What is your opinion?

N.O.R.F   

You will often find that a 20 rakca tarawiix prayer is the same length in time as an 8 rakca tarawiix prayer as the Quran is read in shorter bursts and the actions are quicker also leaving less time for rukuuc and especially sujuud. When praying 8 the Quran is read in lengthier passages giving you time to contemplate and enjoy the tajweed with longer sujuuds aswell.

Khalaf   

Seekknowledge bro, it was the prophet's scw sunnah to pray tarweeh prayers at the masjid with a congregation, more and more Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) joined after each nite, until the masjid was full with worshippers, marka the prophet scw didn't join them the next thrid (or 4th?) night although he scw knew they comapnions ra were there at the masjid, because the nabi scw was afarid the companions may think this was obligatory, the prophet scw never wanted to burden the muslims. And in this state the nabi scw passed. The companions continued to pray tarweeh either indivdually or within small groups, until during the time of Umar ra who thought it would be good idea to make the prayer a congregation lead by an imam as he witnessed the prophet scw beforetime. And Allah knows best.

Soomaalida before the civil war waxee tukan jireen 21 rakaco generations after generations. As with dhaqankii la badalay by some Sacuudi-influenced with post-war that had to do with diinteena suuban, this 11-rakaca pray soo gishay meesha, though Soomaalis were aware and familiar with it before the war, too, but opted the 21 rakaca format.

I see some Soomaalida always abruptly leaving in half way at the masaajido that are prayed in full 21 rakaco [especially the Taariiq (Taric) masaajid in Koronto], as though it was waajib wax la dhahay. They not only leave, but sheekada kusii bilaabaayo on their way out already. It is rude. I don't know sababtee ugu cararaan, ma dambiyaa, I thought one gets extra ajir praying for extra, though the basic formula is the same -- finishing one jus per night and most finish in the same time format.