Sign in to follow this  
KEYNAN22

The name Abdi

lol LayZieGirl; i would make a very funny comedy writer. hehehehehe. I agree with u, fault lies with the person who sits there and does nothing about ignorant arabs at the farax.

Farax Law 1: A farax never tolerates ignorant Arabs making fun of another Farax.

Aaliyyah   

Why do somalis name their children "Abdi",

I haven't seen any somali families who call their children with just the name Abdi. However, they usually shorten their names with just Abdi, one of my brothers being One. I don't think it has much to do with others not being able to pronounce it correctly, I am sure others can just pronounce it , if u were to say lets Abdi Aziz or abdi rahiim. It is more of a culture, most somalis introduce themselves as Abdi, it is just easier. It might has rooted from being ignorant as to what Abdi means. But, it is all about your intentions, even though it would be a good thing if somalis started calling themselves with their full names.

As Ngonge mentioned arabs also call themselves Aziz, or Hakim even though it is not appropriate relegiously speaking.

Anyhow, I don't see the big deal if an Arab person took the time to correct you, and told you hey do u know Abdi means slave, perhaps u shouldnt call yourself Abdi. No biggie, unless you guys are just hating on arabs. Just imagine if some one just called emself adoon, wouldnt you thought it was kinda funny icon_razz.gif

wa salaamu alaikum

Blessed   

^Actually, it is appropriate Islamically. Read Ngonge's explanation. You can call a child Hakeem, meaning wise or the wise one but not Al-Hakeem - The Most Wise as only Allah is Al- Hakeem.

Names of Allah that are descriptions of qualities that He has also bestowed on his creation such Raheem, Hakeem, Hamid, Latif are okay to be used as names as long as you don't add the Al- which makes it specific to Allah.

Keynaan

I don't know why your guys are making such a fuss about being laughed at. If Somalis didn't take Arabic names and then insist on abusing them - you wouldn't be in that predicament.

Those who correct you are doing you a favour. It's not correct to say, my name is 'My slave' / Abdi , or my name is 'my slave of AlRahman'. Qof kuu digay kumuu dilin.

In saying that, I often find myself shortening my lil brothers name to just Abdi- cos that's what everyone else calls him.

-Lily-   

I quiet liked calling people Abdi, it was nice and short and sweet & now you guys have made me go all self conscious :( .

I didn’t know you could use the second prefix, I have often wonderd about that, it usually sounds nicer than the Abdi alone. Oh well, might try that next time.

I agree with LazyWoman, why should we really erm, giev a toss what? We can change arab names to suit us since we are the ones carrying the names.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Zenobia:

^Actually, it is appropriate Islamically. Read Ngonge's explanation. You can call a child Hakeem, meaning wise or the wise one but not Al-Hakeem - The Most Wise as only Allah is Al- Hakeem.

Names of Allah that are descriptions of qualities that He has also bestowed on his creation such Raheem, Hakeem, Hamid, Latif are okay to be used as names as long as you don't add the Al- which makes it specific to Allah.

Interesting - didn't know that. I always sorta frowned on those names. But I take it Akbar and Aaliyah are not quite kosher though.