Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Makkah: Space for hire in Grand Mosque?

Blessed   

23-09-2007

By Badea Abu Al-Naja & Saadia Mohandis

MAKKAH, (Arab News): While authorities in Makkah work to ensure visitors to the Grand Mosque are able to pray in ease and comfort, some expatriates are making a business out of the overcrowding inside the massive prayer complex and reserving spaces to sell to worshippers.

Crowds peak particularly in the blessed month of Ramadan, especially for Taraweeh prayers at night.

People are known to leave their homes early and head to the Grand Mosque to find suitable places to perform their prayers. Recently, expatriates — many of whom overstayers — are known to charge people SR1,000 to reserve space for the entire month.

Arab News visited the Grand Mosque and saw a group of expatriates, men and women, covering different areas of the mosque prior to Maghreb and Isha prayers. A few minutes before prayers, the expatriates switch places with Saudis, who have paid reservation fees in prior agreements.

Many visitors said such agreements were inappropriate and should be discouraged.

In the men’s section, Arab News followed a few expatriates to see how they operate. Arab News asked them to reserve a space in the front row throughout the month of Ramadan. Some were hesitant; however, one African man volunteered.

“How many spaces do you want reserved?” he asked. “If you want me to keep space for four people, then the prices differ depending on how many days you want the reservation. I charge SR1,000 to reserve space for the last 10 days of the month and SR1,500 for the entire month,” he said.

The situation wasn’t any different in the women’s section. “I’ve been renting out prayer space inside the Grand Mosque for a long period of time and everyone is familiar with the concept now,” said an expatriate woman.

“Prices begin at SR500 and reach SR1,200 during the last 10 days of Ramadan,” she added.

The situation is the same in Madinah, as crowds begin to increase, especially in the last 10 days of Ramadan. They are especially active in the Al-Rawda — the area known as “a garden from the gardens of paradise”, area, which is between the Prophet Muhammad’s (peace be upon him) grave and pulpit.

Expatriates arrive early to reserve a space for worshippers, as the mosque is usually full one hour before prayers; this is particularly the case inside the Al-Rawda area.

Sheikh Ahmed ibn Qasim Al-Ghamdi, president of the Makkah Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, said that renting or reserving places inside the Grand Mosque is against the Shariah.

“Being in the front rows is a virtue that must be acquired by dedicated worship and hard work, not by rentals and reservations. This harms other visitors and hampers the spirit of Ramadan, the month of mercy,” said the sheikh.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1§ion=0&article=101560&d=23&m=9&%20y=2007

NGONGE   

^^ It's not greed though. It's more likely serious need. The expats are usually Africans that are making some money from sitting in the mosque for hours and holding the spaces for these gullible Saudis. Have you never held a place in a queue or line for anyone before?

I can't blame the expats much. Many of them are 'illegal' and need to make a living somehow. But the ones buying/renting spaces in order to be closer to god are the laughable ones. :D

The tone of the article leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Ps

Ayeeyo, are you trying to upset young Khalaf again with this thread of yours? :D

Blessed   

^Esp. when the motivation is seeking the reward of Allah. Something just aren't up for trade. :(

Ngonge...LOL. I'm just preparing the brother.

The poverty in Makkah just saddens me, it speaks volumes about the state of the Muslim Ummah. Millions go to make hajj, millions are exposed to it on a daily basis during hajj, yet we seldom hear about it and none of us seem to be moved enough to want to make a change.

Ibtisam   

Poverty can drive you to do things that normally you would frown upon. They have families and they cannot do another decent job. I won't be too quick to condone them, further more I am not surprised that they are trying to justify it Islamicly because it easies their own conscious. Many of us do this when we sin (i.e. I mostly pray, or I don’t wear fitted clothes and I wear a long jacket, or a wig/hat instead of a Hijab, or Allah knows I’m good etc)

I just feel sad that extreme poverty can drive people to such actions. If anything the blame lies with those who are using this service, demand and supply, if no one used this service they won't be able to do it.

Khalaf   

^^^hahaha, NG yo i think u know me too well....how u know ill read topic like this :D ......here's what i think, u say certain things to get off on guys like me hmmmm? like that gay-books thread? adeer ku fahmey.

Zen lol...we are muslims walaal and Allah will preserve our deen.

salaam