Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

RAMADAN in PICTURES

N.O.R.F   

15_old_pics_ramadan_1_5.jpg

The Ramadan crescent moon, along with lanterns and the cannon, is a distinguishing symbol of the holy month. The moon is seen above a mosque in this photo from February 1995.

N.O.R.F   

15_old_pics_ramadan_22_5.jpg

Since the time of the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH), dates have been recommended as an excellent start to Iftar and an important element in the Ramadan diet. Here, dates are sold at the Mina Vegetable and Fruit Market in Abu Dhabi in this shot from December 1997.

N.O.R.F   

15_old_pics_ramadan_14_5.jpg

Sharjah Police fire the cannon to mark the start of Iftar in this snap from January 1996. In 1960 the firing of the cannon was entrusted to the police in the UAE. Since then, the Ramadan cannon has remained under their supervision.

Miriam1   

^ Great picture. That's one thing I certainly miss about Ramadan in the Qatar - you sat by the gate and waited for the BANG and ran inside like there was no tomorrow! lol

Poker   

Originally posted by Norfsky:

15_old_pics_ramadan_22_5.jpg

Since the time of the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH), dates have been recommended as an excellent start to Iftar and an important element in the Ramadan diet. Here, dates are sold at the Mina Vegetable and Fruit Market in Abu Dhabi in this shot from December 1997.

Keep your fingures off the TIMIR!

Urban   

Originally posted by Norfsky:

15_old_pics_ramadan_14_5.jpg

Wow, I too remember this when I lived in Sharjah. I've actually been in that location but I cant remember it vividly :( . As the iftar time approachhed I always stood in the balcony waiting for it in excitement, and chances are i was probably doing so as that particular photo was taken.