Sign in to follow this  
ToasterThief

Matrix producer plans Muhammad biopic

My first reaction: God no!

But after reading the link, I think it's a good idea. I enjoyed the Message and the fact that they'll be spending that kind of money on a film about Islam is brilliant, because it opens doors for more Islam related movies and hopefully a few more reverts.

I say bring it on!

chubacka   

well if this is true "In accordance with Islamic law, the prophet will not actually be depicted on screen". then that's a good start, but this brother Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi .. is said to be v. lenient so it will be interesting to see the response from other muslim scholars.

bit sceptical about the producers motives, cnt help wondering what is in it for him.

Castro   

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

Boycotts and protests? wtf is wrong with you guys.

lol. Yeah, boycotts and protests. Tongue in cheek, atheer. Tongue in cheek.

Seriously though, isn't that what's going to happen in some village in Pakistan where effigies will be burned and innocent people will be trampled to death? No one mentions the holy prophet in the West without a protest happening in the East. :D

Castro   

^^^^ Incidently, the last serious effort to make a movie on prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was in the seventies. The Message was a classic made by Mustapha Akkad the maker of another classic, the Lion of the Desert.

Unfortunately, The Message was banned in many Arab/Muslim countries and I'm sure riots and protests followed or preceded the banning. I watched the film as a young'un then again as an adult and wondered why in God's good name was this movie banned.

And since we (all humans) learn nothing from history, I predict this movie will be banned in many of those same countries. The masses will be rallied to protest against it and at least one person will die in those protests when they eventually get out of hand.

P.S. Sadly, and this is not relevant to the topic, Mustapha Akkad and his daughter died in a suicide bombing at a hotel in Amman, Jordan in 2005.

Castro   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Well, bring an evidence. In the age of google waa soo heleysaa ee keen aan aragnee. Haddii kale quuqda meesha kala tag waraa.

Why don't you just admit you Googled it and couldn't find anything? :D You gotta have the right keywords, waraa. lol.

If you keep "quuqing", I might just give you a Google Search 101.

N.O.R.F   

Osborne's production will reportedly feature English-speaking Muslim actors. It is backed by the Qatar-based production company Alnoor Holdings, who have installed the Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi to oversee all aspects of the shoot. In accordance with Islamic law, the prophet will not actually be depicted on screen.

"The film will shed light on the Prophet's life since before his birth to his death," Ahmed Abdullah Al-Mustafa, Alnoor's chairman, told al-Jazeera. "It will highlight the humanity of Prophet Muhammad."

I'll go with that.