Sign in to follow this  
Medley of extemporanea

slums

I had some time off from work and seeing how it's black history month I thought I would mark the occasion by driving though the black areas of Washington, DC.

Most people know Washington as the political capital of the world but that's just one side of dc; the white westside. Dc is divided into 4 area; northwest, southwest, northeast, southeast. The other side of the city is where the black people live. The 2 area's are like 2 different worlds, the difference is so great. The 2 sides are clearly separated, often by bridges. On one side (the west side) you have all the federal government buildings, business, upper class residential areas, security, and the white people. On the other side (the east side) you have you have the slums, crime ( dc has had the highest murder rate in the USA for most of the past 15 years and virtually all of it happens in northeast and southeast), and you have all the black people. For outsiders the neighborhood areas of northeast and southeast are no-go areas; especially once the sun goes down.

In the black area's you will see no white at all. none! zero!. And in the white areas you see very few blacks. Those blacks you do see are mostly working women , the few working men (where I work, black woman outnumber black men about 1/3), and the many homeless.

This clear economic-racial segregation in the capital of the "great democratic and free society" of America. if you've never been to dc, give us a visit. Visit the white house, while in dc you’re sure to notice 2 things; the great monuments and all the black homeless guys.

Pacifist   

Very true indeed. The last time I visited DC, Viriginia, Maryland area. After you leave the nice beautiful areas dude even the house are ghetto. The ones in Eastleigh are even better and even more beautiful. It was scary, but the suprising thing was you would see rich and beautiful Af-ameri people on one side of the city like George town area and then when you almost by maryland then the ghetto and homeless black people.

But I loved dc so much culture. I felt like I was in africa. So many africans own shops and are doing pretty well. If I ever move thats it its DC :D

Gediid   

I once got lost in Southeast DC at 11.00pm.I have never been more terrified in my whole life like I was that particular night.Its just like a scene straight out of a war movie,dark streets, abandonded buildings and crack addicts roaming the streets.Ironically the Congress is right there and one would expect them to divert some of the trillions of dollars they sign away as aid to other nations every year to clean up their own backyard.