Sign in to follow this  
Katrina

Immigrants Sue Mpls School For the Right to a Decent Education

ElPunto   

Originally posted by AbStraCt:

Lets get back to the man in question tho...he's a 24 year old hearing impaired immigrant, due to his age no suburban school would allow him to enroll.....is it his fault he cant read.....I SAY NAY! (heh, always wanted to say that)

At the end of the day it's your fault if you are unable to accomplish a task many other hearing impaired individuals are able to acheive with/without school. But, he should sue the school if they were negligent in their duties.

NASSIR   

Castro and Abstract, lol, i wasn't serious about that but i know institutional racism's existance, a trend that is hard to tackle and change. I once listened to the VOA, an interview about the spatial segregation which in turn result in that theory. She, the inteviewee. was a PHD middle class black from DC. (During the interview i was thinking of her as if she was a white person) You know sometimes it easy to discern black vs white dialects , inclusive of educated masses even. She was advocating integration as a possible solution to the institutional discrimination because one way of making this system work is to be isolated on the basis of your residential area. The better place you live in the more opportunity because of the assumption that your residence entails the determination of your income either high or low. There are several methods used to catch the black fish in the pond. lol.

I think an active community who are very concerned of their welfare, eduction, social mobility can overcome such barriers. But as it appears, our people and immigrants in general are devoid of the knowledge to succeed in this country. It is very competitive world with very scarce resources, so it becomes imperative of knowing how to beat the system, like my example of the witholding of tax, which accrues rights to the county in which you live for the use of public services. So you have to know how to enquire City Councils, City development agencies, so as to draw knowledge of their resource allocation and their intended , upcoming plan.

Simply, we don't know our rights. And the article that is posted addresses the grievance in a subjective manner but not in a objective way.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

Surely, he is not stup*d just because he can't speak and write his name in english.

It's not so much his intelligence I question but his effort. Certainly writing one's own name is but a small goal to reach in 6 or 7 years. We should strive for bigger things, no?
:(
He could have a learning difficulty that wasn't picked up.

Anyways, why on earth would you keep ESL students away from native speakers of English?

This American system is so primitive walahi, or maybe they just want to create some cleaners. :(

J.Lee   

^The system is designed to make the people fail (institutionalized racism as Caamir pointed out) it needs blue color workers, the more uneducated: the better. The less degrees weilded, the happier it is; It's necessary for capitalism's survival walaal.

Blessed   

^True. Britain is a (mother of) capitalist state(s) too but they allow for basic education (that's a basic human right). I've seen racist mismanaged schools that sabotage 'effnik' achievement but in the UK segregated ESL education is so 1980's. :eek: .

Misguided by all the 'land of opportunity' ads they flood in ME news papers, I thought America had a modern education system.

Dhimbil   

^You're right ESL classes mostly don't work and urban high schools are really horrible here. But in public high schools at least non-English speakers can take subject classes like sciences, math, physical ed, history etc, with other students. But since charter schools started to sprung up everywhere, some of them decided to focus on immigrants. They market themselves as more focused and accountable to students than public schools, when in fact they are just for profit institutions and care only about the bottom line. Imagine a whole school of immigrants with no one licensed teacher? That’s just crazy. They are paid by the government and other foundations to educate these poor kids and they short change them. Let them sue and sue and sue for all these scammers are worth!

NASSIR   

Jimca Lee, Institutional racism is very hard to confront and change. It is wholesomely conducive to the sluggish development of minorities’ progress in terms of education and life-time career. It seems as if these institutions hold immediate stake on their achievement and can decide on their destiny. It departs from the truth that such a rising inequalities aren’t impossible to stop. Hence, they have been kept and entrenched in the culture and politics of this country. Today, quality education is a major prerequisite for higher education at prestigious colleges.

Confronting these problems of inequalities collectively will not only diminish the poor standard of educations but will also make our society a competitive in every aspect of advancement worldwide.

China once accused the United States’ democracy of something manipulated by the rich, touching the lavish spending on the last election campaign while poverty and economic inequities have taken toll on American people.

Castro   

Surprisingly, with the deck fully stacked against them and the educational systems indifferent, racist or both; the homes dysfuntional, broken or non-existent, many Somalis do study and manage to achieve something with that education. All is not lost.