Sign in to follow this  
ZAKARIA77

Promise in Pakistan..its economic success after 9/11..

I have found this piece and thought might be interesting to read.. It's about Pakistan's economic boom after 9/11... hope u enjoy it.

March 27, 2006 issue - In the late 1990s Lahore-based businessman Iqbal Ahmed was depressed. Pakistan was isolated internationally and in the grip of a deep recession, and his modest, liquefied-petroleum-gas operation didn't seem to be going anywhere. "I used to get up and say, 'What the hell, it's another day'," he recalls. "Now I can't wait for the day to begin. I see a very bright future Ahmed has good reason to be optimistic. Two years ago he signed a deal with Houston's Hanover Energy Co. that has helped transform his LPG extraction plant into the largest and most efficient in Pakistan, with revenues last year of $130 million. Backed by several international investors, Ahmed has bid some $400 million to buy a controlling interest in Southern Sui Gas, one of two state-owned gas production and distribution companies that are being privatized. And he recently signed a memorandum of understanding with Excelerate Energy of Houston to import liquefied natural gas into Pakistan in supertankers. "We're enjoying a sea change in economic conditions and opportunities," says Ahmed, 60. "Pakistan is open for business."

Read it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11902379/site/newsweek/