Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Cairo street crowds target women

Jabhad   

Cairo street crowds target women

By Magdi Abdelhadi

Arab affairs analyst, BBC News

Egyptians are horrified by the news that women have been assaulted by hordes of young men in the centre of the capital, Cairo.

Blogs broke the story that has scandalised Egyptians (Picture: misrdigital.com)

The incidents were first reported online by Egyptian bloggers, some of whom saw large number of men harassing the women and ripping off their clothes.

It all happened over the Eid al-Fitr period starting on 23 October, as thousands of young men thronged the streets of central Cairo to celebrate the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.

One blogger who took pictures of what happened dubbed the incidents "sexual voracity down town".

According to the bloggers, the attackers targeted veiled as well as unveiled women who happened to be on their own.

The state media ignored the incidents, but ordinary Egyptians where shocked when they heard for the first time eyewitness accounts broadcast on the private television channel Dream.

Women chased

"We saw one girl being chased by a man, her blouse torn off, she ran inside a restaurant," one eyewitness reported.

We took the girl inside and locked the door. There were four or five of us. But there were hundreds of young men outside trying to break down the door

Cairo shop owner

"Seconds later young boys were shouting that there was another one by the Miami cinema. We went there and saw another girl surrounded by a crowd trying to assault her. She managed to run inside a nearby building.

"A third girl jumped into a cab as she was being chased. But the taxi couldn't move because of the crowd. Then they tried to pull the driver out of the car then the girl herself," the witness told Dream TV.

One eyewitness was too embarrassed to recount what he saw: "There were youths harassing the young women. What a shame! I really can not say any more about it."

Social malaise

One blogger wrote that as the police failed to protect the women, shop keepers had to intervene.

A shop owner described to the TV station what happened: "We took the girl inside and locked the door. There were four or five of us. But there were hundreds of young men outside trying to break down the door."

The bloggers blamed the incidents on widespread sexual frustration among Egypt's youths.

Most of them cannot afford to get married and premarital sex is strictly forbidden.

One commentator said that this was evidence of the breakdown of law and order in Egypt.

Another said the state deployed the police only to suppress political dissent but could not care less about the welfare of its own citizens.

A psychologist, Amr Abu Khaleel, attributed the predatory behaviour to the possible use of drugs and the breakdown of traditional values.

One prominent writer and journalist, Nabeel Sharaf al-Deen, said that such behaviour was the symptom of a deeper malaise in Egyptian society and warned that such incidents were the first stirrings of much bigger social unrest.

A statement by the ministry of the interior played down the incident, adding that it had not received any complaints from the public. It urged those who had anything to report to contact the police.

Zafir   

A shop owner described to the TV station what happened: "We took the girl inside and locked the door. There were four or five of us. But there were hundreds of young men outside trying to break down the door."

The bloggers blamed the incidents on widespread sexual frustration among Egypt's youths.

Most of them cannot afford to get married and premarital sex is strictly forbidden.

One commentator said that this was evidence of the breakdown of law and order in Egypt.

Watdafcuk.

-Lily-   

What kind of a country is it when half the population is not protected? I'm sure if they arrested these 100s of youths then it would not be repeated. This is truly shocking.

Shakti   

I'm sure if they arrested these 100s of youths then it would not be repeated.

Im sure they would repeate it again,after all, they r arabs... what they need is someone 2 rape them back.. someone should sent these Egyptians 2 the saudians ( :eek: ) did i just say that... yes.. i sure did. Im sure after trip 2 saudi, they'll have hard time walking..let alone rape.

No Arabs*yellow-teeth* deserve my sympathy( With the exception philistin). They r all cowards who watch their other muslims ppl such as philistines getting killed! While they suck up to the killers. :mad: cowards

Khalaf   

Originally posted by duuliye:

Blogs
broke the story that has scandalised Egyptians (Picture: misrdigital.com)

Blogs are the primary source? And the pictures I saw no evidence of women being attacked. Not saying it didnt happen or doesnt happen, just skeptical about this.

Naden   

This story was refuted as a fabrication. A small fight among adolescent boys was told and retold in blogs as some mob attack and online Arab magazines picked it up as news. Most recanted a few days later. So much for journalistic reporting.

Khalaf   

Allahu Akbar! Good news!

Angle: i used to be like u not long ago, naive believe everything i read and hear on the news, damn arabs, racist arabs, ect. I went to arabia and seen with my own eyes the respect and honor the women get (i know bad cases exist) and how good the arabs are (gov is diff)....but my sister dont believe the bullshit of western news, the internet even worse!

Shakti   

^^Just the way u've addressed my ID is clear evidence that u r one of those people who avoid the problems and drum up some sort of utopia state for urself. However, one needs 2 look at the problem 2 drive a good situation. My ideas about *yellow teeths* ppl are precise for I have lived amongst them 4 about 3 grueling years, enough 2 know, where there a$$ sucking starts and their yellow teeth Ends.. (A$$~irony)

Khalaf   

Devil means satan whom Allah has cursed, i dont understand why u would accociate yourself to the devil, but i wont use that term when addressing u.

Second I have said problems exist, and arabia is by no means an utopia and that is because the lack of Islam and inshallah that will change. And what is happening is fitnah described in the hadiths. Whats problematic is your generalisation of all arabs, just because u had bad experience with certain section of arab society dont judge the whole culture and ppl: they are very good ppl-the government is differnt.

Somalis are so called breathern but they have killed each other nooh thats why most of us are here right? Why not condem them?

Shakti   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

Devil means satan whom Allah has cursed, i dont understand why u would accociate yourself to the devil, but i wont use that term when addressing u.

leave the understanding & the drama out of this!!.. last time Khalaf .. will u or will not address me by my ID name???

This Id toke allot of hard work, creativity to produce it (ok fine, that was the only id available 4 what I was going 4...still hard work) And 4 u to have the audacity to not address me by my id is very insulting.

next time u insult me, i will email the admin.. im very serious about this. :mad:

Khalaf   

^^^Ok what are u going for? Split personality? When u say something bad u will respnd: "hey yall look i told u i was half "devil" marka dont blame me.

I see how it can work tho.....u wont always say the "right thing" and when u say something different ppl atomatically label hypcrite or somthin.

but no I wont refer to u as a devil....your good person u remind of my little sister...especially with diana comment in politcs section loooooool dats what she would say. :D

peace out!

Shakti   

Dr Khalaf spare me the psychoanalyzing session. All I want is 4 u 2 refer 2 me by my id.

Last warning, before I email admin. Be afraid for u might find urself in a similar situation as me. Seriously its isn’t gone be pleasant when u no longer can log in as Khalaf or hava ppl refer 2 u as .......