maakhiri1

Somalia: Saudi Arabia offers to mediate Somalia and UAE

download-7.jpg

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has offered to mediate between the United Arab Emirates and Somalia after strained relations following the recent signing of the Berbera Port deal.

A source confirmed to Radio Dalsan that Riyadh had made an initial communication with the government of Somalia seeking to mediate the two countries.

Last week an alleged UAE government sponsored anti-Farmaajo campaign on social media strained the relations even further.

Somalia President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmaajo’s is set to tour Qatar this week a move seen by analysts as tactical.

The Farmaajo administration had declined to cut ties with Qatar following the 2017 Gulf crisis.

Mogadishu termed “null and void”  the Berbera concession to Ethiopia and DP World saying it interfered with its sovereignty

This is very dangerous for Ethiopia and has nothing to do with the DP issue.

The Saudis even though have now agreed to have a base in Djibouti, but never to be used for Yemen operations, This same Saudis are very mad humiliated and embarassed in Djibouti.

It may even have to do with keeping Shiek Al Amoudi this long in prison. Very bad.

I hope Somalia says no. Any Saudi hand here will be bad for Djibouti and Ethiopia.

galbeedi   

Saudis are OK. THey have good relationship with both Turkey and Somalia. 

They are more responsible than UAE. Somalia should  keep it's relations with the Saudis. It is where Makkah and Madinah are located. It is very important place for the Umah and we do not want the Fitnah from Yemen to reach their.

We welcome the Saudi mediation.

galbeedi   

They are doing a lot of bad things, yet we should not shut the door from the Saudis.

The Syria/Iraq thing is over now. I also believe that the Houthis who are less than 30% of the population should not be allowed to subdue the larger Sunni to submission. Our brothers in the Shia community must stop trying to dominate the region.

A settlement must be arranged in Yemen, but if you let the Houthis take over of Yemen, they might get a crazy thought of taking over Makkah and the Haram . I have been following their media and they are claiming to be ahlu Bayt which is very dangerous.

1 hour ago, galbeedi said:

. It is very important place for the Umah and we do not want the Fitnah from Yemen to reach their.

I think religion is the last thing in Saudi operations or conduct, but that is another discussion.

Turkey and Saudi Arabia are also not OK, will not be OK. Cannot be OK.

Actually one of the Turkish visits to Saudi Arabia was outright warning, kind of telling them if they repeat will be last one. The case is not Qatar or Somalia. Its Kurdistan in Iraq. I guess the Saudis were OK to support Netanyahoo to dismantle Iraq and for them to have the Sunni part to cut off Shiia Iraq and Syria and the Turks found out.

36 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

They are doing a lot of bad things, yet we should not shut the door from the Saudis.

The Syria/Iraq thing is over now. I also believe that the Houthis who are less than 30% of the population should not be allowed to subdue the larger Sunni to submission. Our brothers in the Shia community must stop trying to dominate the region.

A settlement must be arranged in Yemen, but if you let the Houthis take over of Yemen, they might get a crazy thought of taking over Makkah and the Haram . I have been following their media and they are claiming to be ahlu Bayt which is very dangerous.

Well its your preference, but in my view, religion has not much to do if any of the war in Yemen.

There are 2 provinces in Saudi Arabia that should have returned to Yemen 3-4 years ago. The Saudi also are trying to prevent a defeat, so that it does not encourage others to challenge the family/tribe/clans ruling Saudi Arabia.

Both America and Israel also wanted base in Yemen, which was not feasible, but the late Ali Saleh offered to Russia. He was also trading with North Korea.

8 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Saudis are OK. THey have good relationship with both Turkey and Somalia. 

They are more responsible than UAE. Somalia should  keep it's relations with the Saudis. It is where Makkah and Madinah are located. It is very important place for the Umah and we do not want the Fitnah from Yemen to reach their.

Waa kugu raacsanahay. Soomaaliya waa dowlad taagteeda wanaagsaneyn wali, marka qolo iyo cid walba iskuma diri karno. We need to be tactical iyo si xirfiyeysan loogu fiirsado, siiba Sacuudiga. I don't think Sacuudiga would want to lose Soomaaliya in the same manner they lost their influence in Yeman, Urdu, Lubnaan iyo Suuriya.

• Like 1

galbeedi   

OO, 

The Saudi and Turkey issue is probably bigger your pay grade. There are certain things that you might not understand due to cultural differences. Also, my friend do not assume you to know the whole pulse of the region.

I was in Saudi Arabia lately and the Turkish companies are every where, whether it is In Makkah , Madinah or Jeddah. They just signed multi billion dollar contactor to do the maintenance of one of the largest airlines in the country (Flynus), they share weapons construction and many things. Millions of Saudis are traveling to Turkey for holidays, I can go on.

Of course there are geopolitical differences but the relationship is strong. Turkey (the Ottomans) were and are the protectors of the holy land. Despite differences with the Qatar blockade, Turkey has obligatory relationship that binds her with Hejaz. For you, it is okay for the Russians to protect Ethiopia when they even had a pro western king, yet you do not want to swallow the idea of Turkey -Saudi bond that goes 500 years.

Ethiopia could work with Chinese and the UAE, at the same time you could have good relations with Turkey and others, yet you want us to draw lines. 

Any way, we will tell the Saudis that these ports in Berbera and Boosaaso could be developed by the UAE on certain  tough conditions like:

1- You must declare the sovereignty of the Somali state from coast to coast ( Zaylac to KIsmaayo).

2-  The sesionists must renounce the secession publicly before and contact are signed. It was always In my plan that I will never sit and negotiate with Somaliland before they publicly renounce the separation. Only after that could we discuss any thing. That is how nations deal with these issues.

3-THe Somali government must sign in Mogadishu any deal concerning the development of the said ports.

4-Somalia must have the right to cancel the deal if the UAE violate the contact.

5-The majority stakes of the deal must be owned by the Somali state , namely 60% vs 40% of DP world, and there will not be any third party who could take a stake (Ethiopia).

6-Eventually, all that agreement is subject to the parliament approval. If the parliament decides to keep it's ban, then the whole thing is gone and can not be revived.

I can assure that as we speak , the DP world will not spend any penny in Berbera other than suck the dollars from the poor people of Berbera.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

OO, 

The Saudi and Turkey issue is probably bigger your pay grade. There are certain things that you might not understand due to cultural differences.

What kind of culture does prevent one from knowing the fact that:

Turkey is a country Europeans are afraid of being colonized by.

Saudi Arabia does not run from the Holy cities but more from Telaviv, London and Washington

Why would a Saudi spend money on Kurds, knowing fully the risk to Turkey, but to follow Israel

UAE and Saudis are parallel even in religion, not even close

I hope Somalia can assert capably to her interest and dignity, without being football of middle and super powers. But not under any condition like you. Mine is without war. There should not be war with Somaliland that will bring back things to 1991 and this time with Somalia being more in focus and cross hairs of so many countries guns, can bring real devastation on the poor people in the regions. Far worst than 1991-2 since at that time people still had wealth, farms, camels, goats, modern facilities. Now very little.

Can you ask your Oromo friends to raise my paygrade when they get to Ethiopian palace, since you seem to have so much connections? Can you also ask Illey to accept anything and everything the Oromo wants him to obey and be intimidated?

galbeedi   

OO, 

just like Ethiopia everyone is playing their interest in the open field. The Tigray love us during the day, and at night they leave a cache of weapons for Al-shabab at night. They claim to be respecting the sovereignty of Somalia, yet they trying to steal Berbera through unusual scheme. It is all a fair game. 

If we ever come to power, we will shake your hand and unleash 80 rebels within Ethiopia to dismantle  the old empire that should have been folded long ago. 

Salaan aan niyo ahahyn 

Gacmo laysa saara

laysa soo dhaweeyaa

Runta laga siqaaya.

The Saudis worry a lot about a Shia hegemony that took over four capitals in ten years of American invasion of the middle east. The American talk loudly about the threat of IRan in the region, yet their actions strengthen  Iran and her proxies. So the Saudis were trying to use the Kurds both against Iran and Iraq. Sometimes interests clash. We know the Saudis are afraid of Islamic democracy and open system like Turkey, yet at the end, they both keep the doors of dialogue and business open. 

The UAE is a tiny scraping mafia. Dubai is the offshore heaven of criminals and those who cheat on taxes and those who steal money from other nations including Somalis.

Magudbe OOdweyne,

DP World took over Berbera over a year ago, yet they just signed a deal. A year ago the so called false parliament of Somaliland signed a brochure with no genuine document that explains the shares and the terms. 

Why don't you go Berbera and find out what they did build for over a year. THey done nothing. since Arabs are emotional people like Somalis, they wanted some kind of consolation for the Djibouti issue. 

If the Arab League says do not do it; if the United Nation says it is illegal; if the international courts dismiss the DP World argument, why in the world would they just throw money to prove a point. 

So far they paid 20 million or so of kick backs to the hungry ruling tribe, and for our information, they have already recovered ten times that amount with little investment.

If you take over a functioning business, cut the work force, and the budget without any investment , they made millions already. 

I have no intension rehashing Waber issue or tribal conflicts anymore. I am A God fearing person , and I have no  intension of waging anymore tribal campaigns. Other than stick to the idea of one nation, one people, under Allah Subhana Wa TaCaala, I am out  grown and discarded the tribal pride. Of course, I will speak for the well being of my community, and yours, but I have redeemed myself from tribal wars. 

Kubada kor Ayaan ka ciyaaraya. Qaranimo guud wax aan ka ahayna wakhti ku lumen mayo. Waxaanse kugula talin lahaa inta aad walaalkaa ka cararaysid meel xun yaanay kula gelin.

galbeedi   

OOdweyne,

DP World was operating Berbera before and after the election. How can you operate a port without finishing your investment first. You build, invest and then operate the facility. IN Berbera, every thing is opposite the norm. 

Tell me, how could they take over the port and run without first investing?. They just paid 10 million dollars to the treasury and now thy running the port.

I will bet that both Ethiopia and Dubai will not invest a dime. Ethiopia will not invest money for trade and prosperity  in the Somali kilil. THey are staving people already through emergency rules and trade restrictions. A rich somali Zone will be threat to the Tigray and Ethiopia. It is well known policy. Prosperous Somalis in Ethiopia is not their desire.

23 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

I will bet that both Ethiopia and Dubai will not invest a dime. Ethiopia will not invest money for trade and prosperity  in the Somali kilil. THey are staving people already through emergency rules and trade restrictions. A rich somali Zone will be threat to the Tigray and Ethiopia. It is well known policy. Prosperous Somalis in Ethiopia is not their desire.

Amazing galbeedi,

You seem not to care about facts, only the conclusion you want to reach on a post.

Are you sure you know what is happening in the Somali kilil, I do not think so, unless your information source is as always the Oromo who want to show the Somali in bad light and contradictory.

Do some investigating of your own, ask some of your friends that see hear and understand what is happening n the ground.

The Somali kilil is gateway to Djibouti or Somaliland. Trade from Somaliland side would cover more geographic area and trade from Puntland would even cover most area, that is why as long as Djibouti is not threatened, the kilil wants the Somaliland project also to go ahead and the Ethiopian government agrees with the kilil.

Don't try to put down a fellow Somali, and that based on false information, just to make a statement on unrelated issue. I know you are angry with the kilil for 2 reasons:

The Somali Not supporting Oromo on their way to Ethiopian Palace

And that the Somali have relative peace and development in Ethiopia and have chosen to stay in Ethiopia

Holac   

Galbeedi believes DP World will make no investment. Oodwayne is sure Berbera Port will be fully developed. I am somewhere in the middle. I think DP world will spend some money on the port but not enough for the people who understand these kinds of projects to drool over. DP World will probably improve existing infrastructure, but it will not build a world-class port similar to Doraleh. That is my view. It is just too risky for them at this time. 

1 minute ago, Holac said:

Galbeedi believes DP World will make no investment. Oodwayne is sure Berbera Port will be fully developed. I am somewhere in the middle. I think DP world will spend some money on the port but not enough for the people who understand these kind of projects to drool over. DP World will probably improve existing infrastructure, but it will not build a world-class port similar to Doraleh. That is my view. It is just too risky for them. 

I fully agree with you, but from different angle.

I still think UAE and Djibouti will at least partly reconcile and that will limit Berbera development the level of it. Ethiopia for sure will invest at the very least a good road which will be less than 300km all together. That is in the works long before the DP issue happened.

The Djibouti Ethiopia business is only affecting tip of the kilil. From Somaliland will be a lot more.

Unless Ethiopia really takes off for next 10 years as the last 10 years, the volume through Somaliland can only be 20%. But that 20 percent can be even more than Somaliland's capacity if Ethiopia continues same growth.