Sign in to follow this  
Zaylici

The Story of Shebele River

Zaylici   

The Story of Shebele River

Young man who recently finished his high school in Baladwayn city of Somalia left to see his family who were residing on the other side of the mighty river: shebele. The city is divided by a river, upon crossing the river early in a Friday morning he saw some half fish and half human herd sitting in a circular fashion; a big one was sitting on an elevated chair listening to various fishes who were addressing the survival issues of their humofish species. Five individuals asked his majesty to allow them to present their studies and analysis about the conditions, resources and skills that are needed to enhance the survival of the species. As the audience listened to the lectures, some of the audience were fervent (zealous or intense feeling) about the speeches, others thought the speeches were facetious (not serious), still others thought the survival would be assured by some fortuitous (fortunate) as they did in the ancient times. The latter groups thought that what was needed from the species was just doing what they were doing in the ancient times and their survival would be assured as they were assured before. While listening the lectures, a fracas( noisy quarrel) among some audience and subsequently participants were divided into two groups, those who thought the gathering were used to charm the opposites and not advance the interest of homfish population and those who thought genuine discussion and analysis would advance the interest of the population. The king asked to separate into groups and conduct a lively debate about their views so that he could finally make some verdicts. Proponents of scientific analysis expatiated( discussed at length) about their findings and recommendations, while doing so they exonerated Shark predators by claiming that sharks were doing what we homofish were doing to the smaller fish species: consuming them to assure our survival. A young homfish, whom I think was among those who started aforementioned fracas, lost his equanimity( self-possession) and said loudly: you scientist should be finding, if you have the interest of homofish population at heart, some ways to extirpate( exterminate) our sworn enemies: sharks and human beings; however, your recurring tendencies of exculpating( exonerate or free from blame) our opponents in the evolutionary struggle, shows your superficial interest in homofish survival and prosperity. That is a felicitous( very well expressed) statement, said by an old homofish sitting next to the young Homoffish who was fulminating( denouncing loudly) the proponents of science: you have exposed, he said, while laughing sarcastically, their gossamer( insubstantial) work, well done young homofish, he said while rubbing his beard. The fulminated group complained about the flip (impertinent) remarks of their opponents. The king, therefore, asked groups to restrain and not lose their equanimity and doing so forestall( hinder) genuine discussion about the future of homfish population; I do not mind denouncing others, he said, in so far as one does not deprecate (belittle) his fellow homofish. All groups accepted the king’s request. While the king was lecturing about the moderation of behavior, both groups were reorganizing themselves to put a good fight, some audiences within both groups who were observing the preparations of both groups for intellectual and possibly for military confrontations were distrated (distracted due to anxiety) for they thought, homofish population would never learn to work together, they would always prefer to divide themselves and fight over every thing even the future of the homofish. a dilettante scientist started to lecture: some of my colloquies have previously claimed that one way to assure the future of homofish population, to which I belong, is to find some food for their predators( sharks and possibly humans) ;this, he said, is quixotic notion (impractical idea). How can we find food stuffs for others while we are having a hard time securing for ourselves, or do you expect us, o homofish kinsmen, to fawn( flatter) you and dissemble( conceal) the realities that you face a biological community. I do not wish to flout( show contempt) your miserable conditions, nor expatiate( discuss at length) upon epithets( disparaging word) that your circumstances merits, as some do, expiate( amend) me if I sound harsh. Some of you have the tendency to distribute doggerel( trivial) material which is full of gauche( awkward, tasteless) propositions; I speak to you in glib( informality) fashion, for you are my kinsman. I, however, exact from the so- called intellectual class to expurgate doggerel material from their work, and in so doing produce highly polished and well though material: such material, I believe, would be useful to our population. Some of you may accuse me of being effusive( demonstrative) so as to charm the king’s daughter, which is, accidentally, present at this political assembly, and other beautiful homofish girls; however, It is clear if you pay attention to my expatiation at the subject matter you will conclude that it is not extemporaneous( improvised) presentation, but rather premeditated material intended to enrich and inform populations, if so, my efforts and contribution to the subject matter suggest that I aim more than beautiful girls, to think otherwise, however, is to be fatuous(silly) and not be facetious( serious) about grave matters in question. He sat down quietly while people were still digesting what he said.

While the discussion between the groups were heating, a similar discussion has started among the audiences, and this debate among the audience unfolded, one of the audience lost his equanimity and very loud fracas erupted; the noisy quarrel soon degenerated into actual fight lead to the death of 20 and wounding 50 others. In the process, the king was powerless so he went to the bank of the river and sat down under tree, reciting ancient wisdoms about human nature. Two hours later the fighting has subsided and the dead were berried in a fell (high barren field) adjacent to the river banks and the wounded attracted predators that finished them although some were saved, however, their survival chance seems to be limited, given the limited resources available to the population as whole. Ennui (restlessness or dissatisfaction) ensued and dominated the mental state of the population. The young high school graduate left the scene some times during the afternoon while thinking that modern human species were no more different than the homofish viewed from their capacities to moderate their impulsive tendencies to destroy. While leaving the scene he saw what appeared to be an elegy and funeral dirge ( a song or poem expressing sorrow or lamentation) followed by dulcet music that was so beautiful it made every body, including in this case the human observer, forget their ennui state; Capturing this state of emotions, the king made his verdict: this shows, he said, O Homfish population, your varying capacities: On one hand you have capacities to create and enjoy a wonderful work; on the other hand, you have capacities and tendencies to engage in the most egregious( conspicuously bad) acts that we can reasonably imagine ; I wish, he said, I could find a way or a means to boost your propensities for good so that you could be better placed to moderate you tendencies for destruction and obliteration. The group adjourned while shouting long life for homofish, long life for homofish. The young boy left and joined his family on the other side of the river.