Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Should i quit school or not?

Hibo   

wuz up ppl?okay. see iam thinking of quiting high school.iam not quiting because i can't do the work.i am quiting because of the age thing. my sister who brought my whole family here wrote me the wrong age. my real age was 11 but she wrote 9.i was so mad at her for that. we try to change but it didn't work. so when i went to school they put me lower grade. now iam 17(the real age) and iam 10th grade.i got good grades in everything but i don't like being 17 and being 10th grade. in fact iam ashamed of it.when people ask me what grade iam i lied. so what ya think?

medman   

walaal i will tell u not to, because time goes by fast and u only have a year and a half left, so please "thug it out sister"

i had a homie that dropped out of high school when we were juniors, guess what,

am a junior in college and he is now trying to get a GED. so good luck

------------------

criminal minded,you've been blinded

Buubto   

Sis don’t drop out school cuz of 1 or 2 year difference that is nothing. If u really serious about education this shouldn’t bother u is nonsense. Is mistake that being done b4 nothing u could do about u either live with it or drive urself mad about it, yet have nothing. There is thousands of ppl who r dieing to be in ur shoes cuz wat they care is education not age. U lucky having all this opportunity, why waste 4? Even if u drop wat is the point u have no education? Age is number sis, it shouldn’t bother u. wat should matter Is ur education, no matter how old u r. u see at the age of 17 I was at year 10 with younger kids, they all knew I was 17 used to make fun of me. Yeah it did bother me did I care? no, cuz my first priority was getting my high school certificate.

So sis I would say cool off & concentrate ur studies. Surely in ur life education is wat will safe u. remember most Somalis in western world have same problem as u. U not alone sis. This country is not ur country unfortunately this is the disadvantages u have to deal with it.

[This message has been edited by Buubto (edited 01-12-2002).]

Abdinuur   

Success seems to be largely a matter of hangin' on after others have let go...

Hey just go all the way and never quit. Two more years wont you hurt you gettin' a diploma. Baby girl, dont quit, besides, you went thru years already, why stop, you know.

Good luck and holla at me sometimes so we can study 2gether...you know...like a study partner. one luv

Salaama all,

Ayan plz listen to Buubto, medman and abdinur... Don't Quit School sis...you're still young! what is a year or two? The Choices you make today will hunt you forever!! Besides, What kind a job will you get as a high school drop-out?

Jama   

I agree with everyone. Never quit school. I have friends who dropped out in grade 10 and 11 who are now working shift to shift and at the same time trying to pick up their highschool.

Sis, don't be a quitter. It's easier being one. Life isn't about 'easy'. Don't worry about what the other kids think, focus on yourself and what's best for your future. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for 'later' when it's difficult 'now'. You were brought to new surroundings at age 11 and have made it this far and coped. Remember the adjustment you had to make? Can you bear to let that little girl down? Sis, shame is giving up. Right now you have something to be proud of; keep going. One day you'll be glad you did. smile.gif

------------------

Make a today-dream a tomorrow-reality

[This message has been edited by She-Dreams (edited 01-12-2002).]

Oblivion   

DONT QUIT !

Please dont give up, 17 is NOT too old for 10th grade and dont lie about who you're and what you do.Hard times are the experiences that will highlight and enrich your life, so they're blessing of sorts, depending on how you analyze them.And more than anything else you need to have some faith in Allah.Thank Allah for being healthy and for achieving what you have so far.

Good luck.

Honesita   

Ayan......finally some1 feels my pain...!!! I was 17 in 10th grade too one time....!!! My story is diff. though....no fake age or anythin'....!!! See when i first started school when i was young, i was always a year younger than my classmates....! When i finished 8th grade, we came to Canada....and i finished up to 11th grade....but i was takin' only ESL classes right....my senior year i came to the States.....guess what happend....instead of goin' to 12th grade....i was sittin' in class with punch of 15 year old sophmores....!!! Walaahi i cant describe to u my anger....i cried every single day....complained to my mother...this is not fair...this is not right....this is this..and this is that....!!! Till i got used to it.....i couldnt graduate cuz i did not have enough credits.....so i took the pain of beini' in class with very very immature americanos kids......!! I finally graduated last june.....and i go to college now.....and to be honest with u.....i was glad i was put back for 2 years....cuz if i think of it.....the 2 years i went to school in Canada, they were nothin'.....i was just learning the language....but they were the best 2 years of my life...!!! Plus.....all my friends from canada........almost none of them graduated.....and the ones that graduated, did it at the same time as i did....cuz they did not have enough credits....!!! So say Alxamdulilaah sis......u only lost 2 years.....think of those University students that had to start from ABC when they came here......how do u think they feel....!!! U're in a very good position now sistah....so enjoy ur high school life while u can......laugh it out.....and be as bad as u can be.....cuz when u get to college u really gonna have to study and do real homework.....damn i hate it...!!! Wish u the best luck sweetie...!!

Salaamz

Hibo   

gurl i don't know where u live, but where i live i see somalis, hmong, spanish all kinds of races that r over 20 n still in high school.

am a junior right now n 17, gurl whats wrong with being a sophomore n 17, lol u should see ma school, walaahi there is just too many old peeps here. i don't even wanna go there.

make the right decision n stay in school. i can't believe u even thought abut that. abaayo think about all the children back in somalia that don't even have education.

peace. smile.gif

Hibo   

Ayan, Sis:

When I was in intermediate school back home, we had in our class a guy who was about 5 years older than us and the uniform was a yellow shirt with a kaki trouser. Since he was too old to be in that level and wear that uniform He used to wear a white shirt with the Kaki trouser when leaving the house so that every1 in the neighbourhood thinks he's in a secondry school!! as soon as he reaches the school he changes the white shirt with a yellow one he was keeping in a bag. He completed his intermidiate school easily and later the secondry school.

What I mean is, the guy was very commited and didn't care about what some1 should say about him, he had a vision and dreams.

Sister look at the horizon and don't worry about time, time passes these days like the speed of the light.

I'm very sure and I swear and I SWEAR AGAIN if you leave your studies today YOU WILL REGRET for that, when you see your fellow students with degrees and good jobs.

Gooooooooooooood luck.

Damn that Guy in middle school with the White shirt and on got me laughing i swear....hahahahaha.

And for the sista who seems to be confused, I think all you have to do is just look at all of those caring peep'z responds and luving ideas. In another words, this is what everyone here would've done if they were in the same situaion u know so plz stay in school and look in the future and what's ahead....

And good luck may Allah bless ya.

Your caring brother.

Hibo   

ayan::

quiting in school noooooooo!!

it is understandable that in your age that you are concerning what the others thing. it is called a peer pressure.. to tell you the truth, there is nothing wrong being 17 and in 10grade.. when I was in back somaliland,in 1970s there was a guy who joined our school .. guess how old he was.. 50 years of age.. as you may heard in his times there was no eschools and even if there was one those pple were against to study in mission school.. immagine how old we were.. 14, 15, 16 years of age..

on the other hand if you quit eschool you will never be able to go back .. unless there is compelling reason that is extreme and forcing you to quit eschool other than this age thing I advise you to stay in your eschool..

good luck

Hibo   

Thank you very much guys.And you are right quiting school is very stupid no matter what.You know sometimes when life gets hard, u just wanna run and take the easy way out.Besides iam kind confuse.I do not like beign 17.You get all this sort of feelings and it is kind confusing.I can't wait until iam at least 24 yrs old.maybe things will clear up then.