Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Racism or Sensitivity?

Originally posted by Rahima:

You have to offer an incentive man
icon_razz.gif
, like shaah and mac macaan. Have you not learnt anything from the peace deal I have brokered between Castro and Alle-ubaahane? I tell ya, the shaah did it
:D

I always knew shaah was magical, now i have proof :cool:

I drink Biyo Kulul..and I dont think they will apreciate that!!..So instead...No incentives... :D

Katrina   

Personally I think they over-reacted with the whole issue and I am basing it on the fact that most of the immigrant blacks didn't find the piece offensive but the african americans did.

Seeker,

We had an almost identical issue at my school a few yrs back. The school paper printed a bunch of rubbish referencing blacks. Initially, I thought it was not a big deal (like you mentioned most immigrant blacks did at your school) but my African-American friends made me see the light. They rallied and held a protest until a correction was printed.

Trust me, (Afro-Ameri) can read btwn the lines accurately. Just as us Somali's know what a qabilist means by stating an apparently innocent comparison.

SeeKer   

Here is my qualm though Katrina I would rather one spoke whats on their mind and lets me deal with it than one who feigns innocence and stabs me in the back after I leave. Racism is an issue and will probably be an issue forever but for one to be overly sensitive to a person when they are being outspoken about it seems unjustified to me. Don't get me wrong I am all for standing up for equal rights but I am against the racist being silenced and made to go underground just because we choose to start a fight everytime they say BLACK . When something is made taboo it has a way of perverting itself. We silence these folks and stopper their outlet we give them reason to hatch plots in their backyard. Two/three years ago a black man was hunged in the midwest. I say let them say what they got to say and let us rebuke what they say but don't be a wuss and ask them to silence their grievences .

Rowda   

"I knew that adaab is important in religion, so I was going to show the young ladies what it is about me that men like and even if they wouldn’t start practicing straight away maybe someday they would"

Dear: Mother Theresa

Islamicaly shouldn't it be other way around? Walaalo I'm not here in this world to make guys like me infact I would prefer if they don't because its less Dambi for them & for me. Even Doctor Phill doesn't admit to reverse Psych because it wouldn't be as effective a therapy.

About the "edab" thing, I think everybody in here is above 15yrs & if they don't have edab by now then teaching them would be a lost cause.

Your remind me of Sheekhunaa Nur. lol

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Rowda:

Dear: Mother Theresa

Islamicaly
shouldn't it be other way around? Walaalo I'm not here in this world to make guys like me infact I would prefer if they don't because its less Dambi for them & for me

Now , with such a reaction from another new sister , it´s gonna be hard to persuade sister Simplly_I to get back and expound.

And Castro doesn´t need to emotionally lash out whenever his hippie/commie Mullah behind is pointed at, :D

Rawda sis, town it down, Bro Nur is in rapture to heaven, wait till he comes back , and lemme share the bashing with ya. :D

Foxy   

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Simply_I:

!

I’m new in SOL as we are all aware and when I first got here the first thing that I have noticed was a young lady oo tin daban oo dhaheeso love before marriage is right ive lived it, practiced it with a passion and I will in the future.

The Lady with tima dhaban happens to be me, Now that I have clicked on what our friend Simply_I is going on about

the topic must have been something about Love and whats haram or what have You not or something along those lines

[ B]Qoute By Simply_I to Foxy's CommentB]Qoute By Simply_I to Foxy's Comment

Your last comment isn't funny.

Sister i am becoming increasingly concerned 4 your wellbeing if you continue to conduct your affairs in this way.....

Falling in love b4 marriage is haraam, in fact we call it love but its infatuation and lust.

Having thoughts of sexual nature towards anyone you aren't married to is haraam and a desease of the heart. Now don't tell me when ur in love u dont experience that.

Opposites attract theory is a fake produced by the kaffir society, relationships based on similarities work better as the people involved are more compatible and agree in a certain lifestyle.

[/b]

AND THEN SHE PREACHED ON to who else than the lady with timaha daban...lols

QOUTE BY Simply_I

Foxy i dont mean to offend you sis but through reading some of your posts you sound like a misinformed sister. Islam is not ancient and can never be out of date, the world is in a mess today because its teachings are randomly practiced....

:D:D the chick is funny for real....Simply_I Keep on doing the Pro Bono work

PS: Next time feel free to refer to Foxy, dont go left or right to lady with timaha daban, me no have problem with it at all,I say U are one outspoken chick :D:D

cheers

Its freaking obvious that she posted it on the wrong thread, most sensible ppl figured that out & asked them to give the girl a break,but..but but..But the -jump -on- ppls- neck brigade had to put her down and make her look like she lost it or some.For what? coz she had a differing opinion in another thread?[Please someone spank me silly here!] smile.gif

Making her look silly[or calling her sillier] is just plain wrong dee...but then again everyone is entitled to an opinion. My opinion is that no one should be ridiculed for making a simple errors...But heyyyyy :cool:

Castro   

^ I'm guilty of this more than most. Simply_I, please forgive me. You can write whatever you like, whenever you like and wherever your like without having to worry about my ridicule. I'll save that for those who deserve it.

Originally posted by Castro:

^ I'm guilty of this more than most. Simply_I, please forgive me. You can write whatever you like, whenever you like and wherever your like without having to worry about my ridicule. I'll save that for those who deserve it.

You? Guilty? No way. Not good ol Castro,i aint never seen you put people down,you are the nicest mofo down here man.Dont be hard on yourself,Atheer[God i hate this word].

There are more culprits running around smile.gif

Rowda   

JB I hope bro nur comes back before my vacation ends. Mida kale waad ku mahadsantahay walaalo and I will stop it for now.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Haniif:

it was just a ****** example. There is no reason to make such a huge fuss about it.

I'm thinking out loud here, so bear with me. I think that this is a case of sensitization to racism. I grew up in Somalia, with the assumption that I (as a Somali) was superior to people of all other races. Blacks, Whites, Asians, everyone was clearly inferior to any and all Somalis (I know better now, so no lecturing plz). In Somalia, I never had any evidence to contradict this common perception. When I came to the West as a teen, that belief completely insulated me against open racial slurs, much less ambiguous put-downs and implied racism. I had Black friends who would constantly point out that X said something racist, or that teacher is racist, or did you see the way Y was staring at you? My answer was a blank stare, followed by a noncommital shrug. This used to p!ss them off royally, so once I asked a group of Somali school friends if they were aware of any racism emanating from other students or teachers or even shopkeepers. Some said no, some said definitely. My imperfect recollection of those that said yes: they were born in or brought up outside Somalia. Kids from UAE and those raised in the States from a really young age tended to perceive innocuous comments/looks as a personal affront. This more often than not let to victimization and a willingless to blame bad luck and/or personal failure on others.

Of course I'm not saying telling your kids that they are better than others because they are Somalis is the right thing to do, but it could certainly turn the whole racism thing on its head. Blacks try so hard to internalize their own self-worth (eg, black is beautiful) but it never seems to sink in. Which is why some get all up in arms over a dumb remark made by a clueless hick. When you don't think you are good enough, it's hard to believe others think you are good enough.

Katrina   

Racism is an issue and will probably be an issue forever but for one to be overly sensitive to a person when they are being outspoken about it seems unjustified to me. Don't get me wrong I am all for standing up for equal rights but I am against the racist being silenced and made to go underground just because we choose to start a fight everytime they say BLACK . When something is made taboo it has a way of perverting itself.

Your right Seeker racism will be around forever. The overly sensitive emotion is true for some situations and not others. The problem is how to differentiating the two situations?

Here is my qualm though Katrina I would rather one spoke whats on their mind and lets me deal with it than one who feigns innocence and stabs me in the back after I leave.

I used to want that but I now know that makes sense only in theory. Even if it wasn't about racism, people will always fall under different shades of grey; nothing will ever be black and white after childhood (the good old days). Anyways, what difference would it make if they spelled it out? I don't care what they think as long as they show respect. If they don't then I demand it depending on the situation. African Americans have been broken down and build back up to doubt themselves. They fight every day to get respect, something us Somalis as fortunate to have always had alhamdullah.