Sign in to follow this  
Resistance

Somali Media Watch

I wonder if an organised group exists in the UK that moniters the media and how they report Somali issues. Over the cause of the past year Somalis in UK have featured in the media greatly and more often than suich coverage has been negative.

I know of individuals whom have taken upon themselves to write to editors and voice their objections, in particular the case of the Donkeys, which resulted in an official opology from the Mail.

We need an official media watch team that will moniter all the media and respond to any misreprenrtation. Only yesterday the Sun run an innocent looking peice from Bosaaso port and they indicated a hint of connection between crime in UK and these refugees.

So why not SOLers organise amongst themselves and skim through all the major print media. Maybe each person can take one paper.

I claim the Metro.

-Lily-   

I think it's the tabloids that tend to generalise and make asumptions.

Even The Economist once wrote that 80% of Somali children are illetarte because there are no primary schools in the country, which isn't true because they learn how to read and write the Kuran at a young age.

It's good practice for anyone who wants to be a Press Officer.

Laba-X   

That would be a great idea, since these so-called dole-bound Somali Communities are doing nothing to combat the issue.

We need an official media watch team that will moniter all the media and respond to any misreprenrtation. Only yesterday the Sun run an innocent looking peice from Bosaaso port and they indicated a hint of connection between crime in UK and these refugees.

..How about the day before when they pictured a 12-year with a Machine gun claiming that Somalia was the most dangerous country in the world!

The SUN and The Daily Mirror are well known for their blatant criticism of other cultures and pride themselves in their "englishness".

Dhubad.   

Originally posted by Hizb_UK:

I know of individuals whom have taken upon themselves to write to editors and voice their objections, in particular the case of the Donkeys, which resulted in an official opology from the Mail.

I claim the Metro.

Do u know how they apologised? Was it printed in the paper so that all readers could see it ?

^^ Yeah...but it wasn't the Mail, it was the Daily Star. You can find it here

Originally posted by Hizb_UK:

I claim the Metro.

Yeah, pick the free one, why don't you. :D

I pick Glamour (you said media, not newspapers)...if ever they write anything remotely negative about Somalis, rest assured I will be all over them. :cool:

-Lily-   

^^^ If they ever find room in their brains beyond binge drinking and shopping to mention Africa :D