Peace Action

Farmaajo Opens Bosaso Fiber Optic From Oman

cadnaan1   
17 hours ago, Old_Observer said:

I have a question.

Why was it necessary to bring from Oman when Somalia has the most opportunity to tap anywhere from the international cable all around her from Kenya to Djibouti?

Is the international cable that from south Africa all around to Red Sea too expensive and the Oman outlet is cheaper?

Security wise its not hard to see why the International cable would not be more secure than the Oman one which I heard has satellite link at some point (weakest link).

There is already cable from Mombasa connected in Mogadishu which is used in south and central Somalia.

cadnaani1,

Thank you for the info.

I am in principle opposed to any infrastructure being either private and or if private the state being too weak to regulate it.

America or Canada had private telephone companies (AT@T and Bell respectively), but were regulated including how much they can charge for a home phone.

When Meles was told to privatise Mobile phones by America, his answer was "Mobile phones are money printing press, which we are too poor to give away to private individuals". Yes telephone service will expand faster when private, but leaves a lot behind and the money will go away outside Somalia faster than when public.

Since Somalia now is too weak to strictly regulate these companies, she is better sticking to the international cable which is only used by states and not individual companies.