Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Now That the Election is Over...

galbeedi   

Today he made speech about his cabinet, and said it will be only 15 ministers and three commissions. He said many ministeries will be combined together.

The three commissions are: telecommunication commission to regulate the media and the telecom companies,, higher education to regulate universities and their qualities, and the anti corruption commission.

I never paid attention to their campaign and program and I ignored the book proff. Samatar was advertising throughout Somaliland, but yesterday I did watch a presentation in  London by the professor and it is really impressive. People should pay attention and demand those promises kept.

After Ahmed Siilaanyo got sick it has been a controlled chaos. If Cirro won despite the change of government, he would have nominated 50 or more ministers. I do   not like Muuse Biixi and SNM or all the alphabetic Somali movements ( Waa dadkii qaranka inaga dumiyey) but if he acts this way, and nominates small cabinet with qualified people, he could be an agent of change in Somalialnd.

One thing I know about proff. Samatar is  that he would not accept mediocrity, corruption or nepotism in government.

He might lead to good governance and better institutions.

• Like 3

I gotta agree with Galbeedi on this. I think Muse Bihi has a golden opportunity to reshape Somaliland for the better.

One of the most urgent issues is resolving the lingering issues regarding the elections. Specially the feeling that Democracy in Somaliland is not working as well as it should be. 

The other major issue that needs super urgent attention is the so called "jeegaanta" consolidating most of the power in Somaliland and hence the sense of fairness and equality being tested. 

For the sake of addressing the last point, I think the chairman of Guurti Mr. Saleebaan Gaal or the Chairman of the Supreme Court need to vacate their posts.  

And in order to put trust back into the election system, It would be very wise to dismiss the chairman of the NEC and appoint a new one. 

Those two issue will go a long way to ease the current lingering tensions.

Other issues that need to be addressed before the Parliamentary elections in 2019 is the allocation quota to the clans of Sool/Eastern Sanaag & Awdal.

• Like 1

I was thinking more of longtime bread and butter issues, The backbone of the any Somali region  economy is the livestock. Given its long stability, one would have hoped the successive governments in Somaliland would have deviced a way to protect this industry and limit the effects of drought. Somali nomads lost millions of camels, goats and sheep. It would be prudent for Somaliland to find a way to mitigate these recurring tragedies. They must also find a way to diversity instead of just sending live animals to the Gulf.

• Like 2