Sign in to follow this  
galbeedi

Jigjiga, the land of oppression and tyranny.

galbeedi   

Injustice might destroy Jigjiga sooner rather than latter.

Looking at the dysfunction of the Somali government in Mogadishu with the constant bombing of the Al-shabaab terrorists, one way or another , I did praise the tough stance of Mr. Abdi Cumar in my previous articles. Having watched the fragmentation of the Somali people and the endless mess, I mused that a benevolent and tough dictator might be the medicine for our ills.

Also having seen some of the developments done in the region, especially roads and electricity, I did supported his rule. At the same time I did denounce his constant massacre of defenseless Somalis on both sides of the border. Rather than accept the tribal ,yet pro independent and freedom fighters of ONLF , I preferred the dictator for fear of chaos and another Somali civil war .

Because of our own biases or what we like to hear, sometimes we ignore the evil in front of our own eyes. If one is abusing the wrong or the rival tribe , we try to make excuses for her/ his crimes. The Somali people came a long way to be persecuted, humiliated and oppressed in 2016. . I knew some of his atrocities, yet I did cover up for him in the name of stability. Depute the negatives and positives about Cabdi Illey, the biggest reality that we can not escape is he became a tyrant who is oppressing Somalis in a way never seen before in our history. I did talk to a friend who visited both Addis , Jig-jiga , Borama and Hargeisa lately. He said , he had never had seen an ugly form of oppression and dictatorship than the one practiced i Jigjiga---- probably the worst i the world.

I asked this gentleman to describe some of the most heinous crimes that is going on in the Somali zone. He said. " I do not know which one to compare, because , i have never seen anything similar., but I could probably compare North Korea with primitive nineteen century system", he continued, " While we were all familiar with the illiterate Somali soldiers of our times who neither read or write, the Somali Zone paramilitary soldiers patrolling the biggest city in the land are the most ignorant and cruelest in the history of probably statehood". He said from Addis the capital through Oromis region and up to Harar, the Ethiopian soldiers you encounter are professional and courteous . They call the elder Somali, Ahmra or Oromia travelers mam and dad, and they would not even ask them to stand up. They might ask few questions to the young men whom they might suspect of immigrating to the high seas , but, they are professional in their interaction. As soon as you enter the Somali region, the land is barren with drought and the people you encounter are without mercy just like the landscape. He said , " Somalis wish the federal rule of Ethiopia extended in their region rather ruled by the merciless militia".

As soon as you encounter the check points, The illiterate soldier who could not read a passport or any other document , will start not only swearing and insulting everyone including mothers and grandmothers, but would kick and hit people without no apparent reason( Soo deg istlaantaadan gurguuranaysa, adowga la gubye). The first welcome would seem hell on earth. If you ask them to be merciful to elder mothers, expect a jail cell which could last weeks and months( weligay gumaysi intaa leeg ayaad dhul Soomaaliyeed ku arki isma lahayn).

As narrated by the witness, he said , the most surprising thing was the meeting between Mohamed C. Cumar , the president of the Somali region of Ethiopia and the local people of the city. Like most dictators , he keeps talking for hours and the Meqrib prayer came. Since the Maqrib prayer can not be postponed , people were preparing to leave and preform their duties toward Allah. The problem was who would dares to ask the dear leader to stop---no one.

"Car yaa nin rag ah oo u sheegi kara in Saladii maqrib joogto"

When the righteous ( Qurbajoog) diaspora member tried to remind, he was told , to keep quite or else ( Waar rag kaa horeeyey baa lagu cunay Saalladii baa joogtee Afkaaga hayso).

His erratic behavior is known to the locals . He says . " In a coffee shop, if people do not know you, they will just get up and leave rather than being reported to the dictator. No one will talk ill about him in public for fear of being heard" . He continued, " the four hour trip from Awbare to Jigjiga takes days by constant road blocks and abuse".

In most Somali cities tribal connotations and name calling became familiar in the last twenty five years, but according to this traveler, in Jigjiga, it's cruel and ugly form of Somali tribalism is practiced. Over 90% of developments go to the tribal regions of Cabdi Iley. Even Qabri Dahar, a town of less than forty thousand people have built an airport, where Awbare, Shiniile and other major towns with hundred of thousand people have zero infrastructure. When people ask this injustice and the open looting of public funds and developments in one tribal region among many others , they will says , " well, we are cashing the blood of our tribe" ( waar meesha dhiiga beesha ayaa lagu joogaa oo wax lagu cunayaa). From Mogadishu, to Garoowe and Hargeisa, we used to hear tribes claim that they paid a price for the power they got or demanding the right to rule because of the sacrifices they made against the military government, discarding totally the destruction and damage they did to the nation and people. Well, folks those bragging rights from Garoowe or Hargeisa are foot notes or minor issues compared to what the is going on in zone five. When the budget comes from the federal government 200 elders arrive to collect the money.

Regardless of what the USC says about the ownership of the capital, Mogadishu is and always will be a Somali town. if you subtract the terror and her corrupt politicians, no one can distinguish you from your your other Somali brothers and sisters. In fact, it is a well known among Somalis that, unlike Garoowe or Hargeisa, in Mogadishu, no one will ever ask you which tribe you are or where you from among it's residents. You will be among the millions of Somalis roomig the land although the Al-shabaab terror network may kill you for other reasons. In Garoowe, there are no Al-shabaab and you can settle in any hotel or residence , and intermingle with locals and feel the sense of Somalihood. Despite some open tribal discussion which locals consider normal, you will be at home with your people without any fear of being singled out . In other words it is a free Somali town .

In Hargeisa, everyone may complain about the dysfunction of the Siilaanyo government, or the connection of the ruling class, but eventually every group might get some of the taste of the food. You could go to Burco, the home town of Ahmed Siilaanyo and insult both his tribe and government, and latter have a Qat session with the same group you were insulting. In Somalialnd , you can talk unless you are a journalist talking about the misdeeds of the ruling class. Even a journalist will be out of the jail after few days in the dungeon. An Awdalite who was supporting Suldaan Wabar last year went to Burco to visit a friend who was working with an NGo, and he said that, " I talked openly with the Habro in Burco about my support of Awdal state and other issues" yet , He said ,they were not hostile or agitated about it and said " Guys, cool down, the old man will leave tomorrow ( Waar OdayganSiilaanyo wuu iska tagayaaye buuqa inaga daaye nimankiinan oo meeshan yar dab ha inaga gelinina). While government institutions seem to be disappearing in Hargeisa, the people are shaping life and liberty, and Hargeisa is free just like Borama and Berbera. In other words, both Mogadishu, Garoowe and Hargeisa are the land of the free Somali nomad.

The free Somalis who went through a lot for the last twenty five years are shocked about the Jigjiga oppression. Another, subject the traveler raised was the resentment, hate and contempt other Somalis in the region have for the ruling tribe. Imagine if 75% of the people feel wronged or oppressed which in turn may create a unforeseen consequences. Another issue is Cabdi Illey sent thousands of Somali Liyu police to Oromia region in northern Dire-dawa and the regions south of the capital Addis which might bring hostility toward Somalis in the Zone.

Jigjiga is a police state with tens of thousand in jail. There is no doubt most of those in jail are the presidents clan and are accused of undermining his rule , but as soon as they are released , they become salaried members of either the police, public service or just collect money and renounce their opposition. According to this eye witness, thousand of people have lost their properties to give way for people who either got the looted money or forced to make way for someone from diaspora. He said , " I have met many angry people who were contemplating revenge against the ruling people and those who looted their land within the city at the exact moment they get an opportunity. In other words , If Cabdi M. Cumar does not change his repression and looting , an unforeseen apprising may happen in the Somali Zone in the near future. Not now, but the moment the Ethiopian government weakened, the Somali zone could face with what Somalis witnessed in 1991.

I do believe Mr. Cabdi Cumar can reverse this oppression and looting with small gesture of justice and equal distribution of the wealth. He should know that it is the will of God that unjust systems do not last after one generation .If your neighbor who neither worked hard and earned his wealth nor got education too deserve the power and wealth he got, resentment , hatred and hostility will follow. When this resentment accumulates among thousands of people, it will explode and no one will be able to explain why normal people are behaving and acting this way toward their fellow Somalis.

I think the leadership of the region have both the means and the power to do minimal justice and fairness to avoid clashes within the communities. There is fear now , but one day that fear will disappear and neither LIyu police nor tribal militia would be able to control.

We first need to acknowledge the place is run by Tigray generals. Iley reports to them directly. The Tigray keeps him around due to his immense cruelty towards his people, especially the OG tribe. No one comes close to Iley's slavish servitude.

The Liyu police under Iley has become a potent force, so much so that regular Ethiopian army waa nasteen.

I have met a young woman he personally tortured. Nothing comes close to his dedication and evilness. The young woman said it was actually Oromo soldiers that took pity on her.

The late Zenawi and current leadership learned how the Somali mind works. The leadership of Liyu police consists of many tribes. For instance, if there's terrible in Wardheer, Ethiopians will send Liyu police regiment. The regiment will be under the leadership of someone outside of Wardheer.

Being such simple-minded people, the residents will blame the tribe of the man leading the force.

If Ethiopians want to attack Gaashaamo, they will send someone from KabriDahir. If they want to attack Kabridahir, they will send someone from Gaashaamo, so and so forth.

Iley has no remediable quality. I hate to say, but if the sh!t hits the roof in Ethiopia, the region will be plunged into civil war. That's unless ONLF wises up and become inclusive military and civilian entity.

galbeedi   

Che, for what is worth , in your previous comment you did mention how The ONLF is crucial for the future of the region. Also, the OG community have been murdered and abused by him for a long time.

Another issue is the Tigray themselves are probably planing the civil war. Since they are in charge, they are well aware of these crimes.

The ONLF and other Somalis in the region should not wait until the last minute " when the Sh...t hits the fan" as you said, so since Cabdi Illey can not be allowed to be part of the future because of his crimes, the ONLF should start to be inclusive now and enlarge the movement among other communities.

galbeedi   

He soon may start abusing the Oromo on behalf of the Tigray which will lead to more enmity among the Oromo. The ORomo are talking to other Somalis to keep leash on ILLey.

Nus Xabashkaan Cabdi Ileey la dhaho cabsi ay dadka qaar u qabaan waxee gaartay xataa iyagoo ku nool qurbaha, gaar ahaan Minnesota. Soomaalidii Reer Soomaali Galbeed ahaa isjaajuuseeso.

Laakiin waxaa ogahay inuunan raageynin, asaga iyo xulafadiisa Xabashada u adeego, mar aanan fogeen mid asaga la mid ah ama ka daran lagu badali doonaa.

Laakiin Galbeeti, ogoow Cabdi Ileey xataa jufooyinkiisa hoose ayuu qabiil qabiil ula kala dhaqmaa, oo iyagii ayaa kala jabay, laf iyo jilib u kala baxay.

Rabi ayaa ka baryaa inuu dhibka ka qaado Reer Soomaali Galbeed, hoggaan Soomaaliyeed oo muuqato ma jirtee.

Mooge   

honestly Jigjiga is the only really functioning somali state. the rest are not only corrupt (jigjiga is too) but they are starving and are not making any progress whatsover niyoow. i am telling the truth because i recently visited jigjiga and k5.