Sign in to follow this  
xabad

Famine in the Horn

xabad   

El Nino dried up the rainfall and the horn of Africa once again faces the specter of famine.

Ethiopia qaylo daan ayey sii hormarisay, what about somalia ?

The same old bullshit, malnourished kids with distended bellies and big heads, skinny mothers and the UN appeals for urgent food aid. Calool xanuun iyo cringe miiran.

What kind of existence is this ? year in year out drought and famines stalk this land. Climate change they say will dry out even more according to predictions, populations is expanding at a serene pace.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35493008

xabad   

Mass sterilization campaigns like those undertaken in India during the 70's and 80's would be good start. Voluntary of course, no coercion.

Miyir   

The problem is much more complex, water management?

I dont know if anyone travelled inside Somalia. Somalia extermly under populated.

xabad   

<cite>
said:</cite>

The problem is much more complex, water management?

I dont know if anyone travelled inside Somalia. Somalia extermly under populated

Its not about the SIZE of the land, but the about ability of said land to sustain a given population, the empty quarter of Saudi Arabia or the Great Sahara Desert for example can't sustain anything despite their massive area. Their underpopulated too.

Somalia is a semi arid country rapidly turning into arid.

xabad

this is what i have been saying,some regions that were once green are completely semi-desert or in the process.hiiraan region in central somalia is such extreme example,in less than 2 decade,the region became dry,waste land with few arable land that is causing conflict over grazing lands,farming lands because the amount of arable land to sustain the people have shrunk.in the past,unscrupulous hiiraan bussiness men used to extentely cut tree to finance their clan wars to the point of desertification.even in areas around the river,there are no tree.hiiraan desert status is confirmed,there is no turning back ,a full blown desert in next 5-7 years.my uncle travelled to hiiraan in 2011 famine and he said he though he was trekking through libya desert ,no water in sight,no farms,no greenery all due to the fact that the local clans overuse still the trees for energy,LACK OF ENERGY is what causing this particular region hiiraan to turn into unhospitable barren waste land,no more extraordinary songs about the resourceful hiiraan region,this is the result of desertification massive scale.

we need to save what we can in the jubba and shabelle valley,plant trees in central-eastern regions etc.

Kenyans/ethiopians and their cronies are involved in large scale charcoal trade that are shipped from barawe,kismayo ports to outside world but i know nobody cares about it.

xabad   

Asad

You have summarized it well. I am afraid Jubba and Shabelle are doomed as well.

Human beings are like children, no foresight, devoid of any conscience or caring for the earth that sustains them. The wanton and epic on-going destruction of earth means we have little time left before we are swept off to the dustbin of history. Earth will recover over the long run, but we will not be here.

All the animals have been killed off, now they are busy removing all the plant life. What will they live off bal ?

xabad   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Xabad, you would be a perfect Nazi!

I took a personality test, I scored low on conformity and respect for authority. So you wrong.

I was classified as an iconoclast and a rebel.

An iconoclast is a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.

xabad   

Che, your such a square. Your troll-dar is non existent.

Not everything one writes on a forum is serious and would be acted upon in real life.