Sign in to follow this  
Holac

What is your thought on prayer at the workplace?

Holac   

I am surprised the workers couldn't work with the managers to come up with a prayer plan if the production line can't handle complete shutdown.

i wonder how many of those who boycotted the shift 'to pray' process swine meat in the factory?

Somali's are hypocrites. its very unlikely they all pray, specially so in America, where people quickly assimilate and have no qualms about having an alcoholic beverage after work.

lakinse waxa yaab ah, that 600 Somalis can work in single factory, according to the report. that is probably the single largest number of Somalis employed by a single company in one location, anywhere in the world - except maybe in the oil fields of Alberta. caajib. its so easy to see why so many people are moving to North America.

<cite>
said:</cite>

I am surprised the workers couldn't work with the managers to come up with a prayer plan if the production line can't handle complete shutdown.

dadkaan wa lazy. they ought to be deported, if they're not willing to accept the American way of life.

xabad   

I side with the factory.

If your religious duty hinders your work performance, i have every right to fire you.

They are not content with refusing to ferry passengers with alcohol, now they want paid break time for their prayers, sheer impudence.

It's a peculiar Somali problem, like FGM. Always picking squabbles over religion.

xabad   

It’s a peculiar Somali problem, like FGM. Always picking squabbles over religion.

By the way, in the states, Arabs and Indian Muslims have different Mosques from Somalis, whom they look down upon and make a point of pushing them away from their establishments.

Tallaabo   

I think the problems started when some of the guys tried to impressive all the other employees by portraying a holier-than-thou attitude, prayed sunnah after sunnah, and read al-baqra in their salaat.

xabad   

<cite>

I think the problems started when some of the guys tried to impressive all the other employees by portraying a holier-than-thou attitude, prayed sunnah after sunnah, and read al-baqra in their salaat.

They are just indolent and probably thought they could squeeze more break time from their employer.

galbeedi   

Alpha, what you are referring is total assimilation. For those of us from different faith and culture from the mainstream Americans and Canadians, our obligation is to integrate well with our fellow countrymen and the larger societies we live , at the same time holding our Islamic faith and heritage.

Here in Canada we have multicultural and mosaic communities. We believe the diversity of the people is the strength of the country. The majority of the Canadians are willing to provide a reasonable accommodation with the religious minorities. Also, we have what we call " The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom", which gives people the right to religious freedom.

That means holding our distinct values while becoming integral part of the nation. These are delicate issues that need to be worked out with employers. There was a debate in Quebec, Canada about rescannable accommodation of religious minorities.

On the issue of Somali workers fired by their employer , I will say, It is the duty of the workers to find ways to fulfil their religious duties without impacting the operations of the plant. They must also understand that no one owes them anything to accommodate their obligations.

They probably came fro Dhadhaab few months ago . First they must join the meat workers union, then They should let their union bosses to do all the talking and find ways for their five minute break and minimize confrontation. The Maqrib prayer takes less than five minutes.

I have seen Somali cabbies refusing transporting dogs for blind people or other minor trivial issues to find confrontation with others.

If you area good worker and reasonable, you will always find ways to accommodate your obligations. You could go to Friday prayer at 1pm and then work one hour latte.

Somalis are becoming an ugly sour even in small matters. I could not go anymore to Tim Horton coffee shops for little chats with friends. A group of five to eight Somalis are sitting their for hours with loud noises for everyone to hear. There is no one to tell them about discreet conversation.

Maybe misery loves company. I hope after a while they will leave their tribal entourages and find few reliable friend or family members to sip the dump tea quietly.

<cite>

Somalis are becoming an ugly sour even in small matters. I could not go anymore to Tim Horton coffee shops for little chats with friends. A group of five to eight Somalis are sitting their for hours with loud noises for everyone to hear. There is no one to tell them about discreet conversation.

i could relate to this cringe-worthy moment.lol.

maybe you ought to tell them to keep it quiet. its up to all of us to correct the wrongs in the community. unless, of course, you are happy to let them embarrass us? people generally have no problems accepting critiques, if its done right, maha? i know from experience as a self-appointed corrector of manners. lol.