Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Candidate Munira Abukar chooses not to blame Doug Ford for the racist defacing of her campaign sign in Toronto's Ward 2 district

Admin   

somali-candidate-torontoTORONTO - Munira Abukar said the racist defacing of one of her Ward 2 campaign signs “is really disgusting” and current councillor Doug Ford agrees.A friend of the Etobicoke-North council candidate alerted her on Saturday to the vandalism of a sign posted in the Martin Grove and Dixon Rds. area. The message, “go back home” was scrawled in red marker at the top of the sign; over top of the candidate’s name, was the word, “B----.”“It was frustration and shock that I had to be reading the language on it,” said the 22-year-old Somali-Canadian. “My parents took it a lot worse. They experienced a lot of racism when they first came to Canada and to live vicariously through that again through their children isn’t the easiest experience.”Abukar and her parents decided to take the sign home instead of leaving it up, because they didn’t want other people to see it to be “triggered” and get upset by seeing it.She doesn’t believe “Ford Nation” -- despite the sign being in the heart of it -- is to blame.“I’d like to believe there’s good in everybody,” she said. “That, yes, the Fords do have some explaining to do for racist things that have happened in the past, but the reality is I choose not to speculate who it is.”Akubar tweeted about the incident on Saturday.“When people tell me to ‘go back home’ I’m always like oh you mean back to my crib in Etobicoke? Miss me with that racist/xenophobic speak,” Abukar tweeted after posting pictures of the sign.Abukar is planning to file a police report about this incident.Mayoral candidate Olivia Chow said she empathizes with Abukar being told to “go home” as a heckler at a recent debate to her to “go back to China.”“It’s disgraceful,” she said. “There’s no room for racism in this city. I hope she stays strong.”Chow said she asked her staff for examples of online comments that have been written about her containing racial slurs.“‘Poor baby, if you can’t stand a little criticism, then get the f--- out of the race, go make some rice’ and ‘F--- you, ch---.’ This is all recent,” she said.Doug Ford – the current councillor for Ward 2 – called the graffiti “disgusting.”“I’d like to find the person, charge them. They should be thrown in jail,” the mayoral candidate told the Sun after being shown the photos.source: http://www.torontosun.com

http://www.somaliaonline.com/candidate-munira-abukar-chooses-not-to-blame-doug-ford-for-the-racist-defacing-of-her-campaign-sign-in-torontos-ward-2-district/

that's actually funny. kulaha ''Go Back Home''. LOOOOOOOOL

how can this be? this is the same home, Munira has settled in, and made a decent life for herself. now she's being denied the opportunity to contribute to this flourishing and multi-ethnic democracy. that's sad.

Canada seems like a racist, backward place. it seems, Somalis are faring better in the States. i'd hate my electoral poster to be defaced like that. none the less, we ought to be very proud Munira Abukar's valiant efforts.

couple of words of advice maybe necessary here, lakin..........for goodness sakes, she's not even looking at the camera. she looks vacant and absent-minded in the poster pic. her slogan is very weak, too. she needs stronger wording to communicate to the voters. unfortunately, inantani has got her campaigning all wrong. it seems, she wants to milk the ''there's no such thing as a bad publicity'' adage for all its worth. now she wants to get the sympathy vote via the race card mashruuc. i wouldn't vote for Munira. she hasn't impressed me at all. she hasn't got a clue.

if she were to lose the hijab (or wear it like christiane amanpour in Iran), showed a bit of flesh and occasionally smiled whilst looking straight at the cameras - she might have a good chance of being elected but right now she's in dire straits and heading for a disastrous failure. i wonder if she has a campaign manager? someone like her has an excellent chance of being elected walahi. she would be a great tokenist for the establishment. ileen she's black, female, muslim and a refugee. these traits are all saleable.

Canada isn't racist; Toronto is the most multicultural place on Earth.

I suspect it was her or her allies who did this to get media exposure. She's dead last in opinion polling in the ward she's running in. Somalis in Ward 2 are overwhelmingly 'Ford Nation'. She can't even get Somali backing im a constituency that has the most Somalis living anywhere in the country

I am,

Abdi "I hope she wins" Johnson

Muniira Kuuseey will not win the seat in this ward I live at because she is against the crack-smoker and drunk who is still unbelievably popular in this part of the city, but she will have my cod. Any Soomaali will always have my vote, including the school trustee candidate, Mudane Galbeyti, in this same ward in this election as well.

<cite>
said:</cite>

Muniira Kuuseey will not win the seat in this ward I live at because she is against the crack-smoker and drunk who is still unbelievably popular in this part of the city, but she will have my cod. Any Soomaali will always have my vote, including the school trustee candidate, Mudane Galbeyti, in this same ward in this election as well.

So help me understand this, if she's not running for a mayorship, what's the connection between her and fatty Ford? Butacoow is a mayor and she's running for a council seat right?

Or are the two the same in Canada?

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

So help me understand this, if she's not running for a mayorship, what's the connection between her and fatty Ford? Butacoow is a mayor and she's running for a council seat right?

Or are the two the same in Canada?

She's running for Doug Ford's city council seat -- the equally gross and idiotic brother of mayor Rob Ford. Rob Ford was city councillor for Ward 2 before becoming mayor, and Doug Ford is the current city councillor there. But after Rob Ford was diagnosed with cancer and dropped out of the mayoral race for re-election, his brother Doug decided to run for mayor while Rob runs for the city council seat again. So she's dealing with TWO Fords campaigning against her.

A Somali candidate running in Ward 2 Etobicoke-North is meaningless when Somalis do not show up and vote.

Thanks Saff. So it's his brother who is also named Ford that she's running against. LoL that had me confused for a bit. Does he also like to smoke Crack and is he fat as his brother?

That shouldn't be a problem I guess, because if most people are like me, they would associate the name with the mayor. It shouldn't be hard for her to get elected.

Even if every Somali miracously showed up to vote for Ms. Deqa, I don't think it would make a difference. Somalis make up what, like 2% of the total voting block?

O'well, good luck to Ms. Deqa, she'd need it. :)

galbeedi   

I would prefer Somalis building alliances with a strong candidate rather than throw their hat in the ring. Probably two or three Somalis might be running this same ward at the same time. Waa ismaqqiiqnimo. Why not support one single Somali ?.