Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Mixed gender Somali weddings

Safferz   

I know the "women" sub-forum is where threads like this generally go, but there's more traffic in the general sub-forum :)

Can you describe some of the mixed gender Somali weddings you've attended? How did they organize it? Were people comfortable enough to dance (thinking of the islaamo and their buraanbur and other stuff too, was that still done with men present?)? I don't go to weddings often so I'm curious about how this all works.

I came across this video that seems to have pulled it off well, but it looks like they had a men's event at the masjid for the nikah and a women's only bridal shower (where shaash saar and all took place) ahead of a mixed reception. But would it be possible to do it all in one event?

Asking for a friend...

Safferz   

This one looks nice too, but it looks like they managed to control their guest list lol. So organized, numbered tables and seating assignments :o

I don't think it would be feasible at all, to combine this in one event.

In the Somali weddings I've been to, the Men's Nikaah consists of some men who are religious and would rather not attend the Mixed-Wedding ceremony which will occur that night. The same goes for the all-girls reception and bridal shower. It would consist of some women who would rather not attend mixed-gender events.

And then you have people in the middle, those who attend the Nikaah AND they attend the mixed-wedding. And that's where most of the people show up and have a good time.

So it's the best of both worlds. You can accommodate the wishes of everyone and still have a fantastic wedding.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Nowadays if it feels like a "mixed gender" wedding that means it is YOUR wedding. lol

MY wedding, SP? That would mean that there's a man out there crazy enough to marry me, and that I'm crazy enough to agree to a life in bondage :P

<cite>

So it's the best of both worlds. You can accommodate the wishes of everyone and still have a fantastic wedding.

you're spreading fitnah. kulaha ''accommodate''. i bet you don't even have a beard.

you're a liberal. no mixed wedding. it's haram.

<cite>

MY wedding, SP? That would mean that there's a man out there crazy enough to marry me, and that I'm crazy enough to agree to a life in bondage
:P

that could have easily been me but you're an emotional little kuffarad.

<cite>

you're spreading fitnah. kulaha ''accommodate''. i bet you don't even have a beard.

you're a liberal. no mixed wedding. it's haram.

You really lost your trolling skills saaxib. Last year, you were a Top Troll.

This year, I think you lost your edge. Maybe you should do what I told you to do and just take a break for a few months? Who knows what might happen :D

<cite>

You really lost your trolling skills saaxib. Last year, you were a Top Troll.

This year, I think you lost your edge. Maybe you should do what I told you to do and just take a break for a few months? Who knows what might happen
:D

you're a hypocrite promoting fitnah. you mean to tell me you support 'mixed' gender weddings?

<cite>

you're a hypocrite promoting fitnah. you mean to tell me you support 'mixed' gender weddings?

The day I ever answer any of your interrogation questions is the day I leave this forum.

Don't ask me anything waryaa. I ask you questions, not the other way around.

Learn your place Alpha.

<cite>

The day I ever answer any of your interrogation questions is the day I leave this forum.

Don't ask me anything waryaa. I ask you questions, not the other way around.

Learn your place Alpha.

you're a fake akhi. you're not serious about your deen.

<cite>

you're a fake akhi. you're not serious about your deen.

Even if this clown AlphaBlondy asked me if I torture cats or if I set people on fire or anything heinous like that, I wouldn't even bother answering any of his questions. I wouldn't even deny it. He's not worth answering to

And the reasons for that are too obvious

<cite>

Even if this clown AlphaBlondy asked me if I torture cats or if I set people on fire or anything heinous like that, I wouldn't even bother answering any of his questions. I wouldn't even deny it. He's not worth answering to

And the reasons for that are too obvious

you can hide behind these taxonomic schemes but it's quite clear your just a hypocrite.