Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Mixed gender Somali weddings

<cite>
said:</cite>

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

MUST WATCH VIDEO Y'ALL.......

Wow, may Allah make it easy for her and all women like her.

She made some really good points. It really isn't that funny Alpha

Safferz   

<cite>

Safferz if you need a date to this wedding, I might be able to make myself available, what d'y say!

I'm flattered OdaySomali, but I already have a date :)

Safferz   

<cite>

That's too bad 'cuz I do one mean dhaanto
:P

Appealing to my nascent tribalism, huh? I'm tempted, my guy is from jaandheer-land and I much prefer my dhaanto :P

....a women’s only bridal shower (where shaash saar and all took place) ahead of a mixed reception.

Shaashsaar, unlike bridal shower, takes place seven days after the wedding ceremony. Waa toddobaadbaxa, to celebrate the bride becoming a 'wife.' In the old days, pre-civil war, both of them, the new husband iyo xaaskiisa guriga kama bixi jirin these seven days.

Safferz   

Thanks for clarifying that, MMA. It's not true to custom anymore but I've seen shaash saar done at bridal showers/women's wedding parties along with buraanbur and all.

Holac, I don't attend many weddings but the ones I've been to in Toronto have not been mixed. There's a men's event earlier in the day, and the women at night. I'm curious to hear whether that's an anomaly or the general trend these days.

Holac   

Safferz, I could swear most Somali weddings in the West are of the mixed type. Hotels and Hall reception weddings are very popular among maryoley. Of course there are some weddings I would call "aroos-meher" type where the men eat the Bariis/Hilib during the day and the ladies have their dinner dance at night, but when we speak of a "Somali Wedding at a hotel", it is most likely the mixed type. Could be we are a unique bunch here in Virginia. :)

And who is the son-of-a-gun-lucky-mandingo?

Safferz   

<cite>

And who is the son-of-a-gun-lucky-mandingo?

I'm asking for a 'friend,' dee :P

So in the mixed weddings you've attended in VA, do the women still do their traditional dancing and all with the men present? Or do they skip that and go for a regular DJ/Somali singer?

Traditional dancing all the way. Nothing beats dancing traditionally to the beats of durbaan.

Beats the pseedo-western dancing (aka waddling-in-situ) you see at Somali weddings everyday!